Comprehensive Guide to CN Politics

supercoolyellow

Forward

I decided to write this guide to help my more ambitious members of BTO to learn about CN politics and help them be aware of what is going on. I also wrote it b/c I get frustrated with the new recruits who don't know any better, and go off and attack members of another alliance. They're not stupid, they just don't know any better. I then decided that we all would be better off if we could avoid noob rogues that give us head aches, and that I would love to get the input of planet bob on this guide. So I decided to share this with everyone. Please suggest edits to this guide, and I will incorporate them if they are good. If an edit is made in jest, make it obvious so I don't take it seriously and add it to this guide.

Edit: This guide doesn't teach you all you need to know about CN politics but it does teach terminology and how some very basic things work.

Feel free to use this guide in your alliance just make sure to credit it to me.

I also have a guide to mass messaging that I am willing to sell for 6 million aid to members of my alliance, and the promise you won't give it away to others. It works great to teach recruiting, and to teach members the techinical skills they need to serve their alliance or become leadership. PM me if interested.

Now to the guide...

Before we even begin the most important thing for new nation to know is

DON'T ATTACK NATIONS FROM OTHER ALLIANCES!!!

If you do this the other alliance will do a combination of absolutely destroy your nation and ask for you or your alliance to repay the damage you've done. Then again they could just attack your alliance if they dislike it enough.

Ok so you're new to Cybernations, and you don't understand what all goes on in Cybernations. You also should avoid trying to do something dumb. For example some nations when they first begin may send messages to other nations saying

We're all yellow, lets get together and attack all the pink nations

The response they get will likely be,

LOL NOOB

Team Color

The lesson here is don't try to make secret coalitions, spy rings, poltical parties, etc until you know what is going on here. Also your team, really just means what nations you can trade with. For example at BTO we encourage you to be yellow so that our members will have more nations to trade with. Nations do not usually mobilize by color except when alliances sign treaties to aid in trading resources.

One thing about colors that is important are team Senators. Each nations gets to vote for who they think should should be senator each month. The top three vote getters in each color are then elected senators. Senators have the ability to sanction other nations and remove sanctions.

Sanction- To not allow anyone from the Senator's color to trade resources with sanctioned nation.

Sanctions are usually used on only rogues and during intense wars.

Rogue- A nation from an alliance that attacks another alliance while their own alliance is not at war with the nation they attack.

The Politics between Alliances

Alliances are by far the most important aspect of Cybernations and the politics that go into alliances are what makes Cybernations fun. Alliances sign many kinds of treaties with one another. If an alliance does not live up to the treaties they sign, they will lose the trust of other alliances and will not be able to sign treaties, which leaves an alliance open to attack and very weak. The most common treaties are...

Economic treaty- A treaty where alliances agree to work together to sell tech or trade resources

Non-Aggression Pact (NAP)- Alliances agree to never attack each other.

Optional Defense Pact (ODP)- Two alliances agree to have the option of defending one another if attacked.

Mutual Defense Pact- Two alliances agree to defend each other if attacked.

Mutual defense and Optional Aggression Pact (MDoAP)- Two alliances agree to defend each other if attacked and can request that the other alliance help them if they decide to attack another alliance.

Mutual Defense and Aggression Pact (MDAP)- Both alliances agree to defend and attack other nations together.

Bloc- A bloc is a group of alliances of 3 or more that decide to sing a group economic treaty, NAP, ODP, MDoAP, or MDAP. Right now the game is dominated by several large and powerful blocs of the most powerful alliances.

Termination- Most treaties have a clause in them that require that one signee notifies another signee of their intention to terminate the treaty either 24, 48, or 72 hours before they terminate the treaty. The CN forums Alliance announcement section is full of treaty cancellation announcements. Sometimes they just mean that the two alliances don't talk as much and so are not good as friends. Sometimes it means that the two alliances don't see eye to eye anymore. Sometimes it means that there was an incident that caused tension between the alliances, and sometimes it means that the two alliances are about to go to war.

Open World Forums

The open world forums are where a lot of the exciting aspects of CN happen. The most important forum is the role playing section. Its is divided into three sections

The Open World RP section -forum for discussion of global politics and the game itself as it pertains thereof. Statistical compilations, out of character commentary and reflections, and anything else out of character should go in this forum.

Alliance announcments- This is where alliances announce new treaties, terminated treaties, new alliances, alliance disbandments, alliance mergers, new goverment, new elections, new alliance forums, declarations of war, and peace agreements.

World affairs- This is for any player to discuss their opinions or observations about the politics between alliances.

There are many acronyms that are used in the OWF here is a list of some of the most used ones, and terms that are used.

o/ - Hail this is the most message in CN. For example if I say 0/ Veritas Aequitas it means I'm giving them honor or praise.

o7 - salute, used the same way 0/ is.

OWF- (Open world forums), these are Cybernations game forums.

NPO- New Pacific Order - This has historically been the most important alliance in the game.

NpO- New Polar Order- The difference here is the small p. Don't confuse this with NPO

DOW- Decleration of war

White peace- peace is declared between alliances without repirations

Reps- Resirations for wars, sent in the form of foreign aide agreements.

Politics Inside The Alliance

While there are a lot of politics outside alliances there are also politics within the alliance. As a rule of thumb, while politics outside of the alliance can be heated and brutal at times, in your own alliance you should be respectful to people within your alliance. Stay away from personally attacking your friends even if you disagree strongly with them.

Most alliances have charters. These are constitutions that outline the rules of an alliance and how the government works. There are some common forms of government Here are a few.

1. Dicator- One rule has all the power, and set the government up however he likes

2. Triumvirate- A council of three leaders are the head of the alliance.

3. Representational democracy- An alliance elects a leader and other positions in its governemnt.

All most all alliances have ministers. Ministers are in charge of certain sections of governments. Here are a list of common minister positions.

Minister of Foreign Affairs (MOFA)- This minister is in charge of embassies, negotiating treaties, and the PR of the alliance.

Minister of Recruitment (MoRE)- This minister is in charge of the recruitment function of the alliance.

Minister of Interior (MOI)- this minister is in charge of keeping alliance rosters, some times recruiting, some times elections, and sometimes the alliance new department.

Minister of Defense (MOD) This minister is in charge of having the alliance prepared for war, and leading the alliance military when at war.

If you want to become leadership or government in your alliance there is typically a career path that is followed.

Minister of Finance (MoF) - These ministers take care of the financial dealings of the alliance, which are usually organizing aid programs, tech deals, and resource trading circles.

1. Be active in IRC and on the forums

2. Activity is noticed, volunteer or get appointed to be battalion leader, recruiting staff, and maybe even an ambassador.

3. Do a good job at #2 and you can get appointed as a deputy minister. Deputy ministers usually give advise to the minister they work for, and complete certain functions that the minister is in charge of.

4. Do a good job at #3 and you can get elected or appointed as a minister.

5. Do a good job as minister and you can get elected or appointed to the upper echelons of you alliance government.

Edited by supercoolyellow

You forgot one of my favorites - new people making "threats" to other new people. I have actually had more than one "international incident" based on this. The "threats" are usually very clearly things someone who doesn't know what their doing might say. For example, I recently had a new non-aligned "threaten" one of our new members that she was going to "nuke" the member. Person making the threat hadn't even been playing for two days or gotten all her trades ^_^

You forgot one of my favorites - new people making "threats" to other new people. I have actually had more than one "international incident" based on this. The "threats" are usually very clearly things someone who doesn't know what their doing might say. For example, I recently had a new non-aligned "threaten" one of our new members that she was going to "nuke" the member. Person making the threat hadn't even been playing for two days or gotten all her trades ^_^

I never had this problem, but I remember my second day of ecistence, I was threatened by the ex-Chancellor of the Illuminati, Terry Howard. So was my entire alliance. ^_^

So, another note. If you get threatened to be nuked by a nation with no nukes, a defunct alliance, problems with grammar, and a thirst for power, just call his bluff, odds are, you're fine.

I think the problem most new nation rulers (the ones that mess up) have is that they don't realize that Planet Bob is serious business. The best way to learn about Bob politics is to join an alliance, and if they're not joining an alliance, then I highly doubt they'll see your guide here. I know I wasn't aware of the OWF until after I joined an alliance.

Some things you just have to figure out for yourself.

The best way to learn about Bob politics is to join an alliance, and if they're not joining an alliance, then I highly doubt they'll see your guide here.

Yeah, the idea isn't to reach new players here, its for people to paste and copy this into their alliance guide section.