Decree of the Sith

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a constitutionally legit system for a coup? I like how that if it fails you get to remove them, and if they succeed you still win by getting a cool title.

However on the issue of true democracies, they suck. The voting masses typically vote for the name they recognize rather than the one with better qualifications. Thus becoming a popularity contest, which is why all true democracies fail. So I guess you've just sped up the death timer on your alliance that is ticking. I'll wait to pull out the popcorn until it gets a little closer.

There are problems inherent in any government for they are derived from men/women.I believe this is a good faith attempt to address the "class ceiling" that plague all alliances.This method might mitigate it somewhat;but the problem will persist, given man's/woman's proclivities for refusing to think.

a constitutionally legit system for a coup? I like how that if it fails you get to remove them, and if they succeed you still win by getting a cool title.

However on the issue of true democracies, they suck. The voting masses typically vote for the name they recognize rather than the one with better qualifications. Thus becoming a popularity contest, which is why all true democracies fail. So I guess you've just sped up the death timer on your alliance that is ticking. I'll wait to pull out the popcorn until it gets a little closer.

Yes, TOP, FARK and FOK are all totally useless alliances who could never succeed at anything.

Our current experience with the system suggests this is not the case. Those who are inept, quickly fail at their task while their popularity falls. This leaves more than enough room for a capable individual to challenge. The Brotherhood quickly realizes where the problems lie in their leaders, and when challenges occur look for those that won't repeat them.

What are the roles/duties of the prophet? I've always been intrigued by the system employed by NSO, it's good to have it laid out like this.

Prophets are advisors to the Darth Council, Dark Lord, and Emperor. They have no official responsibilities but have high level access and their input is highly regarded. However they have no official 'file rank' that goes Marauder>Master>DC>Dark Lord>Emperor.

Thanks for the support.

That's kind of what I'm getting at, how does this system fix the inherent flaw in government structures that allows for a Oligopoly of personalities to inherently stay in government based more on pasts then any sort of meritocracy? I know you say they can be challenged but if it is put up to a vote and say a new member is challenging an older member with the older member having garnered a positive reputation, will he inherently win since it is up to the voters? Since the voters themselves are flawed in the manner that predisposition or biased votes will happen, or is there a designated "grading" system to a challenge that will allow for an absolute answer to a challenge and one that isn't as subjective as a vote? As I said I like the system, just trying to see how it will get past that one inherent flaw of governments everywhere. Anything that can remove the glass system is a plus in my book.

I am not the best at everything, which is obvious, but one of the things that I am good at is placing people into the roles that are best suited for them and helping them to achieve. That works in reverse as well. I am not afraid of making an unpopular decision, and have on occasion within the alliance. If I believe someone is supported based on popularity instead of merit then that person will end up with two possible paths. One would be me making the decision to allow that nation to serve with the hopes that I would be proven wrong, along with typically (as has happened) a stern private message from myself outlining exact goals that I expect to see and a reasonable timetable for them, or two, the vote will be stopped and I will explain my reason for not accepting the Challenge.

If my judgement is considered insufficient then there are means by which I can be removed.

Regardless, we have run this system for over six months with the Marauders and Masters and I have found that for the most part those that have been elected have proven themselves capable of the role and those that weren't are never given more than the two week minimum to screw up.

Whatever happened to having pride in achievement as a collective, not just as an individual? This initiative sure has a measure of innovation, don't get me wrong, but the "me, too" culture should be discouraged first. I also believe the "glass ceiling" is only a problem for alliances that are democratic in name only, or are not democratic at all.

The culture that we have been cultivating for months is one of service before position. Those that decide they wish to lead in the NSO have been told from day one that leadership means service. The "me, too" culture doesn't exist in the NSO, or at least is discouraged and is actively spoken against.

And the glass ceiling concept is exactly as you state but I maintain the NSO as a non-democratic alliance. I have never considered it otherwise and do not pretend to project it as such here. We are an authoritarian dictatorship. While I have the top spot what I say goes, without question. I am open to suggestion but anyone that knows me realizes that once I have made a decision that decision will most likely remain made.

This is actually a great concept and one that works. I've seen it work in the early days of NSO. How many people are in alliances that have inept leadership and wish you could do something about it...but can't? Here, if you feel you can do a better job and you've shown it, then you have the opportunity to do it. You may fail in your challenge, but at least you have the opportunity. It also adds a level of participation to the alliance that lacks in many others.

Nice work.