This new Hegemony thing

Hyperion321

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The same as the old one, of course. Electron Sponge (and his band of merry men).

Really, the accusation is just a platitude for people to insinuate that an alliance who 'fought against' (regardless of their actual status in the war) the old regime are carrying on the practices of said regime. In a few cases there's some truth there, but the term is a misnomer. There is no hegemony, there is no clear ruling power, and there likely won't be for some time. There are many, unequal clusters of political and military power that remain interconnected and perpetually vying for a leg up on one another.

People have difficulty accepting such a shift in the world political paradigm. Rather than changing how they look at the world they're trying to shove the pieces into a non-existent pattern.

Pffft, who ever said the old one was gone :ehm:

Seriosuly though, for an dictators-to-be, the NPO is starting up a little community college on the far side of their bunker on thursday nights. Who knows, you might even learn how to start your own successful Hegemony someday.

wait I thought Frostbite was the new Hegemony

You rang, RV?

couldn't agree more you monstrous gentleman you..

oh and we all know that thanks to TPF's intel, Sparta is now the ebil overlord that roams the interwebs eating reparations and pooping dreams.

Edited by UberSpion

I don't mean to sound ignorant or anything, but who exactly do you people (the ones asserting that there is a new Hegemony) think are in this "New Regime"?

One day it's TOP, the next it's Athens, the next it's SF, and every other day besides that it's Sparta. It seems like everyone's choice of "whose the most evil" is jumping to a different pole of the MDP web with every new thread. I don't really have to point out the ideological differences between all of the proposed new overlords, but it's safe to say that all of us getting in cahoots to ruin the game is a very far off possibility. So what...are we all just running around oppressing each other? Am I missing something?

tl;dr: Can everyone just pick a new hegemony and stick with it...geez.

edit: crap...wrong forum. If someone can move this to the OWF I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Anyone who suggests athens is the new regime is joking at their expense. No one really considers them a worthwhile world power, either through strength or through political influence.

As for the others, meh. Who cares?

Those of us who got the short end of the stick from Karma just to see parts of Karma doing the same things the Hegemony were doing...

And then being called hypocrites for calling it out.

(not me btw, just voicing somebody else's point of view as I understand it)

Anyone who suggests athens is the new regime is joking at their expense. No one really considers them a worthwhile world power, either through strength or through political influence.

If only I could think of some wiseacre comment here about nature abhorring a vacuum and tidy it up into some cool insult to hurl at you.... and make you care, AJ.

XD

People have difficulty accepting such a shift in the world political paradigm. Rather than changing how they look at the world they're trying to shove the pieces into a non-existent pattern.

If this were a game show, you just would have won:

A BRAND NEW CAR

Seriously though, 'tis a brave new world out there. At least make it an interesting one.

/and try to keep it clean this time. It being the insuring power struggles and the grudge matches. After all we a just playing a game, right?

yes, I really don't think it'll be clean this time either. I have been surprised before though.

I for one have never said there is a new hegemony. Quite frankly none of you have the balls nor the brains in order to become such a thing. All we have at the moment is a bunch of wannabe superpowers who continuously make fools of themselves with their most recent failed power plays. I'm sorry, but that's the truth. You're all just simply bad at this. If you do, however, ever get the urge to have a competent, ballsy, and handsome leader, do know that I am always open.

I'm afraid I can't let you offer your services in that manner, RV. You are needed in the Federated Allied Independence League, as well as being the Savior, and as both of those things you need to be ever vigilant and ever available.

I'm not quite sure what you think you're getting out of just hurling insults at the entire populace of the game all day...

Just because you're not in a perpetual power struggle against the dark oppressors doesn't mean the world needs to be in any hurry to orient itself that way. The fact that players are so eager to force someone into the hegemonic void only indicates that politics has been further reduced to branding and name-calling.

I love this game.

You don't know much about CN do you?

You don't need the most NS just the right allies...

/me looks at Valhalla

Maybe Athens is the new Valhalla? :ehm:

If I am being honest, there will never be another hegemony. The practices used to keep NPO and tC on top worked because they crippled competition before it became an issue. It wasn't until the unification of the known world, even alliances who hate each other, that they fell. But the fact remains the same. The hegemony used tactics that ensured their reign on top, making it a crime to pose a threat. Is there anything inherently wrong with wanting to destroy what is percieved to be a threat? No, and according to Athens, hegemony isn't the only one thinking that way. Which is great.

The reason then why we will never see another hegemony in the way we did, is because these tactic are now looked down upon. There is no end all be all. An alliane will fight another, get normal terms and rise up to do the same again in a few months. There is nothing to set yourself apart. We will see the multi polar sides fight amongst themselves and never gain any ground whatsoever. Whether you like the way it was or not, Hegemony used what was needed to stay in power. They made people weary of even posting. That may be bad, but they did rule for years that way. And no one will top that.

If I am being honest, there will never be another hegemony. The practices used to keep NPO and tC on top worked because they crippled competition before it became an issue. It wasn't until the unification of the known world, even alliances who hate each other, that they fell. But the fact remains the same. The hegemony used tactics that ensured their reign on top, making it a crime to pose a threat. Is there anything inherently wrong with wanting to destroy what is percieved to be a threat? No, and according to Athens, hegemony isn't the only one thinking that way. Which is great.

The reason then why we will never see another hegemony in the way we did, is because these tactic are now looked down upon. There is no end all be all. An alliane will fight another, get normal terms and rise up to do the same again in a few months. There is nothing to set yourself apart. We will see the multi polar sides fight amongst themselves and never gain any ground whatsoever. Whether you like the way it was or not, Hegemony used what was needed to stay in power. They made people weary of even posting. That may be bad, but they did rule for years that way. And no one will top that.

You act as though their tactics were a good thing. They kept this [ooc]game[/ooc] a living nightmare for half it's populace for years and even drove lively members of the community away. They stomped on people for having OOC beliefs, took out entire alliances because one player was in it, and made poeple, as you put it, weary of even posting.

I'm not saying you approve of the community suffering in favor of a little IC power. I wouldn't want to put words into your mouth. However, what you are saying seems to me like trying to find a way to justify their actions on the grounds that they "did what had to be done". I'm sorry, but I don't think there is justification for the destruction of a community, no matter how much power or security they gained from it.

Edited by Hyperion321

MHA is the new evil hegemony because we sanctioned Rebel Virginia.

And that my friend is a winner

Please rebel virginia take your small fry nation and your small fry crazy egotystical attitude and hush now ;) yes thats right it's not all about you you you. ;)

I would hardly say TOP, Sparta or MHA are the new evil. apart from some public minor snaffus what have they done to warrant such a claim recently ? other than getting rebel virginia sanction, which i find amazingly lulz Btw.

I can speak from personal experiance the majority of spartans are decent guys that are friendly

I can speak from personal experiance with TOP fighting alongside them they are competant cordial and nice people.

Same for MHA. so tarring a whole alliance with "there EVIL" and will hold the world to ransom for $0.09c is ridiculeous.

You act as though their tactics were a good thing. They kept this [ooc]game[/ooc] a living nightmare for half it's populace for years and even drove lively members of the community away. They stomped on people for having OOC beliefs, took out entire alliances because one player was in it, and made poeple, as you put it, weary of even posting.

I'm not saying you approve of the community suffering in favor of a little IC power. I wouldn't want to put words into your mouth. However, what you are saying seems to me like trying to find a way to justify their actions on the grounds that they "did what had to be done". I'm sorry, but I don't think there is justification for the destruction of a community, no matter how much power or security they gained from it.

I am glad you aren't trying to put words into my mouth, because I am not trying to justify it. Simply put, in a OOC: game/OCC where one of the goals is domination, using such tactics were what put them in that place to begin with. Those tactics, however wrong you or I or anyone sees them, worked. To say they didn't is a lie, fo ris they didn't we wouldn't be having this conversation. What I was trying to convey was that without using those kind of tactics, to cripple anyone who would oppose you, is the only way to gain a hegemony. Without it, you will see multiple powers all angling for position, which is a good thing. Today we see Sparta, Athens, TOP etc, all having some sort of power within the world. But none of those alliances will use the tactics you have railed against, the same tactics that set the hegemony up. In my opinion, thta is a good thing for the whole of the community.

You and I don't have very differing views really, I hope that this cleared it up a little. Hegemony ruled over everyone, no question. I don't think we will see that again.