Announcement from the Viridian Entente

• Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Free Quebec Is back?!!! Yay for Brian Boru! ^_^

I would make a more meaningful comment but I stopped at page 18 yesterday so not too sure what direction the last 24 pages have been about. Nonetheless it's interesting to see some lines being drawn... or erased if only for the sake of the treaty web. Good Luck in the coming times for all parties involved.

The "prejudice" as you call it is a very valid variable when dissecting your plea or "intentions." It really just goes to show your hypocrisy, whether you care to admit it or not.

Ok fine lets do this here.

For starters can we please acknowledge that my views and those of my allaince/allies are not 100% identical. Dismissing my views becuase of something I was apart of did the opposite may be easy but it is not accurate. As I stated before I do not share all their views or agree with all of their decisions. I convey those in private though where they should remain.

Now to the point at hand.

Regardless if you believe me or not I want to see competition in this world. I felt this way as a member of the GPA and I feel it still as a member of IRON. When choosing an alliance I do not concern myself with their place in this world but rather it's core values. I chose IRON after exiting the GPA becuase of their reputation as a respectful allaince at the time and after having been a member for quite some time I am proud to remain one. There have been bumps in the road but a good member try's to change their allaince for the better instead of bolting at the first disagreement.

Being a member of the second strongest allaince in this game who is a part of the strongest bloc in this world I should be content with the current situation. We (Continuum) are winning after all. I am not though becuase there is little pride in dominating when the competition is weak to non-existent. I want to prove that we (Continuum) are the best but in order to do that we must first face formidable competition.

Now many of you contend that in order to create that competition I should do it myself or that the Continuum should handicap itself to help form one. I do not believe that to be necessarily. At this moment there is the potential for a rival bloc, there is seemingly enough opposition to give me what I want. The problem is no one thus far has taken the steps necessary to create one. Something is holding them back from doing what they claim on the forums needs to be done. I tire of reading the potential opposition complain about us yet fail to do the one thing that will actually make a difference.

So is it hypocritical to want competition? I don't think so. Perhaps I have more faith in the perceived opposition's ability then even they do but I think it can happen even in the face of adversity. I'm not asking anyone to walk off a cliff, to charge head first into certain death, I'm merely asking that they work to create a valid opposition.

Edited by Authur

Now I've stayed out of this little argument because it is rather petty and not relevant to VE or to any of the alliances they cancelled on. But surely you can see that claiming to be in favour of fair wars and strong opposition while sitting in an alliance that is in second place, and seemingly happy with that position, means one or more of these things:

1. You are trying to change IRON's foreign policy from the inside and meeting strong resistance

2. You are not serious about your claims but like to make them anyway

3. You are too weak to have any effect but like to rage against the machine

4. You do not have the courage to move to a smaller alliance where you can change the world more easily

None of those options make you look good and they make your choice of alliance relevant if you want to make statements like those that you are.

Now this is a pointless argument and the people who want a fair fight need to pair off and have one :P

5. I want to see some real competition, the potential for which exists at this very moment, materialize so that the continuum can prove to itself that it can win an even sided war.

The Continuum contains a majority of sanctioned alliances, the top 6 alliances and holds a huge NS advantage over any other power centre in the world. It also has a track record of destroying groups that show signs of being serious competition – though to your credit you say you protest that.

Also ... we, Continuum? You are a 19M NS alliance, you should be leading something.

5. I want to see some real competition, the potential for which exists at this very moment, materialize so that the continuum can prove to itself that it can win an even sided war.

Forgive me for asking the obvious, but who do you suggest compete against the Continuum?

edit: Bob Janova summed up my thoughts pretty well on the matter and I really don't think there is anyone who can currently compete on a fair basis.

Edited by Hydro

I have to agree. It's pretty amusing seeing someone from IRON talking about being on top and how everyone should strive to be #1 when you seem perfectly content sharing a sleeping bag with the NPO to maintain the ever so prestigious #2 spot. ;)

Ahh, so you're a self-proclaimed expert on IRON's governing principles now? Guess you skipped my course on the way to getting your degree.

Allow me to fill you in: The governing philosophy behind this, if you had bothered to learn anything about IRON before making such a comment, is "responsible growth" -- #1 is not a goal; solid growth related to a balance of economic and military capabilities is.

Also, we're #1 in nukes and have a higher average NS -- hmmmm, could that be a coincidence or by design? <_<

moar.jpg

The Continuum contains a majority of sanctioned alliances, the top 6 alliances and holds a huge NS advantage over any other power centre in the world. It also has a track record of destroying groups that show signs of being serious competition – though to your credit you say you protest that.

Also ... we, Continuum? You are a 19M NS alliance, you should be leading something.

Does Duckroll count?

this is the issue with the cyberverse right now, I might lose a war with them, so I'll give them whatever they want. If someone wrongs you, then they wronged you, it doesn't matter how big they are, you should stand up for yourself or everyone will see you as weak, alliances such as freaksafari(probably a bad example at the moment) or the CnG alliances, went into wars knowing full well they'd lose, yet are more respected than alliances 10 times their size. why? because they stood up for themselves without caring about the odds.

as do I.

Exactly. FreakSafari is getting decimated right now, but I have massive amounts of respect for them. I've been at war with them for 5 days, eating their nukes, dishing out my own, but they're going down doing what they believe in. "Having fun". I happen to disagree with the concept of "fun" because I enjoy drab gray walls and dead things, but at least they're taking a stand.

I understand your view. The Continuum in it's present form is quite formidable. Over the past months however I have seen several allaince begin to sway, begin to share an opposite view point. Does that equate to wanting to destroy former/current allies? Certainly not but I see the potential there, perhaps only becuase I'm looking for it.

As for IRON, I like any member of any allaince, want to see IRON on top. To be the best is a goal we should all share. IRON is constantly competing in many areas to be the best it can however the one people use as a measuring stick is political influence. In that arena it's hard for anyone on the outside, which includes me, to really know exactly how much political weight an allaince caries. So yes IRON is striving to be the best allaince in this world but as an honorable alliance we do not so at the detriment of those we consider allies.

Edited by Authur

Situation 1: I shoot it

Situation 2: I shoot it

I consider myself to be quite rational.

While not a ballistics expert, I have a feeling that, at the very least, you wouldn't be using the same ammunition or gun, or that anything that can quickly take down a gorilla is going to be incredible overkill for a squirrel.

Also, no rational person could shoot a poor wittle squirrel. :P

While not a ballistics expert, I have a feeling that, at the very least, you wouldn't be using the same ammunition or gun, or that anything that can quickly take down a gorilla is going to be incredible overkill for a squirrel.

So you're saying my BB gun wont take down a 2 ton gorilla?

<_<

Situation 1: I shoot it

Situation 2: I shoot it

I consider myself to be quite rational.

That was :awesome:

I can honestly see what you're saying, even if the analogy of the gorilla and squirrel were maybe a bit simplistic. However, if I didn't want either of them on my lawn, I would find the means necessary to either encourage them to move on, or...do what I had to do, I guess.

I was more speaking to a level of acceptance. Honestly, let me ask you that question: if any foreign gov demanded access to NSO's private alliance channel, or barged their way into any situation between the NSO and another alliance, would it really matter if the foreign gov in question here was from, say, a 21+ mil NS alliance or not? I guess I am asking that question because when it comes down to it, what I am willing to accept really doesn't take into account how big the adversary is. If I stand up for myself and I get attacked and beaten down, I can at least go down fighting for what I believe in. I can always rebuild or reroll.

As for the poor wittle squirrel, that sucker would go down like a sweet muffin. :jihad: :awesome:

I personally would use a bazooka in both instances.

Also, congratulations, VE! I can't remember what the OP was about!

http://caj.ca/mediamag/awards2005/Pictures...all%20Thief.jpg

On an on-topic related note I think having to deal with some of the most entenched nations makes for a very difficult way to compete.

Edited by Hydro

Having finally had the time to read through this mess I can say, lines being etched into granite is a more applicable statement.

Heft is correct. The caliber weapon you would use to kill a gorilla is waaaay overkill for a squirrel.

To Bob and those of his thought: When a bloc or alliance sees opposition forming with the sole purpose of opposition, should we wait until they fire the first shot before defending ourselves? Or should we nip the problem in the bud? I would prefer the latter as the former would be unnecessary.

To those waaay earlier in the thread questioning Anu, NATO has never insulted a former ally, be it blatant or veiled, in a treaty cancellation. To do so is poor taste and invites the remaining allies of canceled alliances to become hostile when dealing with you. I will agree, it takes balls to announce another alliance's cancellation on your alliance to add confusion and gain gobs of respect. You fooled quite a few into thinking you had canceled. Rascals! :P

Also, to the members of Ordo Verde and others who share the same message as they are conveying: Telling the world it's time to quiet the hegemony: We aren't going anywhere. Time to back that bite up kids.

"Nip the problem in the bud"

That's a lovely way of saying "Kill someone for no reason other than to maintain my pointless existance as a part of the status quo".

Good translation!!! ^_^

Probably not the best line to put in there btw...

Also, to the members of Ordo Verde and others who share the same message as they are conveying: Telling the world it's time to quiet the hegemony: We aren't going anywhere. Time to back that bite up kids.

I think its the hegemony who have to back up the bite now

To Bob and those of his thought: When a bloc or alliance sees opposition forming with the sole purpose of opposition, should we wait until they fire the first shot before defending ourselves?

If you think war is truly inevitable, no. You can tell that from my support of our war on Polar ;). I'm just responding to Author and his contradictory ideas of being in Continuum and yet wanting a 'proper' war.

If you think war is truly inevitable, no. You can tell that from my support of our war on Polar ;). I'm just responding to Author and his contradictory ideas of being in Continuum and yet wanting a 'proper' war.

Thank you Bob for understanding the meaning. James, I should have clarified, by "nip in the bud", I did in fact mean when an opposition has shown signs of inevitable war. It would work against your interest to wait until they fired the first shots.

The problem is no one thus far has taken the steps necessary to create one. Something is holding them back from doing what they claim on the forums needs to be done. I tire of reading the potential opposition complain about us yet fail to do the one thing that will actually make a difference.

You know, back in my day we did do stuff to get wars started. We did build up blocs. We even, as the dominate one in a time so far away, did encourage our enemies to build. We challenged and dared them to come at us with their biggest guns and were able to prove our worth. I remember once a person whom I have a lot of respect for at the time even fielded the idea of going off to the opposition in order to build some form of resistance despite being at the top, despite wielding the power and having all the benefits of the status quo. He in the end just decided to make his alliance go on to follow his view. He changed the alliance from within to match up with his views and abandoned the most guaranteed protection seen till that time. His name is Egore.

So, I suppose what I'm saying to you is, your counter-complaining is nothing. The reason these people are complaining at the moment is because the ability to muster up a worthy opposition has been greatly reduced and have you mocking them saying they should do better. With that said, if you truly want competition, switch roles. Give up your position of comfort where you have no "competition" and go make or start one. Then I'm sure you truly will have the sort of fight of which you seem to crave.