This Week in Pacifica

Perhaps my lack of time to read through the entire thread is leading me to miss something here, but The Meaning of Freedom was published in November 2007 (long before Vox or Voxism existed), not this week. It was posted and discussed in the OWF and on the wiki at the same time. But congrats on getting your hands on such a top secret bit of info... I guess...

The Meaning of Freedom as Far as Vladimir is Concerned was quoted to denote the "usual manner" in which you reply to threads that broach philosophical essays--unendingly. It was a little cheeky joke, see?

We are not immune ... while I am very happy with our alliance programmes, a Grämlins membership doesn't mean you are wallowing in infinite tech either.

Gremlins is also so hard up for tech that I was seconds from receiving cash from an unaware Gremlin the other day. (And I would've got away with it to, if it weren't for those darned Paradoxians!)

Your clever I've never heard anyone say that before...

You're not clever, you've never understood dry humor before . . .

I'd like one example of a member being expelled for visiting Vox's channel.

I'm there right now, are these evil IOs going to swoop in and drag me away?

You're the token GOONS turncoat/re-called NPO spy, they can't expel you, they'd have to find one to replace you.

Vox already has proven they have access to NPOs forums and they have come up with... no evidence of any of this. Think about it.

TWiP is a lighthearted weekly update on the goings-on in Pacifica, not a "let's see the highest level of intel we can release and narrow down the Vox suspect list" machine. Think about it.

Edited by Schattenmann

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in NPO the IOs were so dissatisfied with the Tech Corps that they abolished it and everyone else had to beg to get it back, although technically that was prohibited (yes, you are not allowed to ask IOs that they make any changes because then you are just trying to force them and stuff, at least that's how they reasoned it) and people went around in private talking about it.

That is false. You are and have always been permitted to petition the Emperor.

No one "begged" to get it back. I petitioned the Emperor to reinstate it and it was.

Depends on which subjects. Day to day, no, you weren't prohibited from asking IOs stuff. But when the subject came to something they didn't like in the slightest, all discussion had to go underground. You don't remember those long posts on the forums where their point was "by asking us to do something, particularly in front of other NPO members [like in #npowned], you're trying to force our hand and will be expelled?" They called this "respectful requests" or something, saying that anything else was treasonous. This was the case with the tech corps when it got shut down, I remember someone from that department messaging me saying that if I want it back, I should talk with IOs but not tell them that anyone asked me to.

In other news, we could have included that NPO members are afraid to come into our channel (and several have been expelled for doing so). You'll admit Shodemofi that doing pretty much anything against exactly what the IOs wanted got you either expelled or yelled at in NPO - their members are scared of the IOs, which isn't the way an alliance should function.

As I said above, you are always permitted to petition things. I have made petitions privately and publicly in the past and they have been accepted and rejected, but never without politeness either way.

I thought you were a Pacifican and not a GOON?

Omg you uncovered me, I'm a goon spy!

My statement was directed at schatt, someone who proudly throws around his former goon membership, yet allies himself to the person that hated him and was responsible for the alliance's downfall.

My statement was directed at schatt, someone who proudly throws around his former goon membership, yet allies himself to the person that hated him and was responsible for the alliance's downfall.

Kind of like NPO did during and after the UJW? I mean, you did join them while they were still allied, so I guess you'd have to ask yourself the same thing.

Edited by Stumpy Jung Il

I accused you of being a GOON spy? :huh:

I thought I had merely requested clarification on your post which seemed to imply that you still consider yourself a GOON.

Those who live in glass houses..

Remember the OoO and your betrayal of your "brothers"?

We all have pasts in this game; sometime its time to move on.

I accused you of being a GOON spy? :huh:

I thought I had merely requested clarification on your post which seemed to imply that you still consider yourself a GOON.

No you didn't accuse me of being a spy. I did however perceive you as implying, through poor semantics, that somehow I considered myself to be a goon. It seemed to me like a sarcastic, passive aggressive jab.

Allying yourself with me is a sign of a visionary - full of forethought, intelligence, and that certain je ne sais quoi that makes the ordinary extraordinary. Plus you are automatically more attractive to the ladies (yes, even if you are a lady yourself) just by your association with me.

Nice work Schattenmann. Let's see what our junior agents dig up for the next edition. Maybe they'll expel a few more innocent people for being 'spies' while we point and laugh. I have a cunning plan...

Hey at least I'm not the GOON that allied himself with ES. I'd feel a wee bit hypocritical if I was. :awesome:

My dear, as I've explained at GOONS forum:

electron_sponge allied himself with me, since I was a Vox founding member and he joined after we were cool.

electron_sponge did what he did because GOONS allies allowed him too. The puny, weak Pacifican Emperor in particular.

Besides, I already joined GOONS-abandoners TOP once before, e_s is nothing if not a step up in the dark side. Go big, I always say. And I'm not proud I was in GOONS, I'm proud I stayed in GOONS.

Nice work Schattenmann. Let's see what our junior agents dig up for the next edition. Maybe they'll expel a few more innocent people for being 'spies' while we point and laugh. I have a cunning plan...

It is alwasy nice to see something come together--it's like dumping the wet ingredients into the mixing bowl and watching the dough pull together into a ball on its own.

No you didn't accuse me of being a spy. I did however perceive you as implying, through poor semantics, that somehow I considered myself to be a goon. It seemed to me like a sarcastic, passive aggressive jab.
I believe someone is reading too much into a perfectly innocuous question.

Next week, we will bring you the most scandalous news ever to come out of Pacifica. It will thrill you, shock you, make you question your own existence. Be prepared for the horror of......

Dilber's laundry list!

That's right folks, we will expose the full story of this. Is it true Dilber mixes whites and colours? Does he starch his underwear? Our diligent spy is working hard to uncover the answers to these questions and more. Make sure to watch for next weeks issue of...whatever the hell this thing is called.[/sarcasm]

My only response to the OP is yawn. Maybe next time your spy will manage to find some real news.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with those that say that this week's TWiP was a bit lacking. There's got to be something actually bad that the NPO is doing somewhere. Heck it's not like there aren't any brown team alliances still under the NPO's control. And it's not like there aren't abuses of power by high ranking NPO officials in those alliances or anything...

So the Viceroy is still there? That sucks. -_-

The Meaning of Freedom as Far as Vladimir is Concerned was quoted to denote the "usual manner" in which you reply to threads that broach philosophical essays--unendingly. It was a little cheeky joke, see?

No. Perhaps you should spend some time studying Sir Paul's early work, otherwise I'd just stick to tabloid distortion -- satire clearly isn't your thing.

Next week, we will bring you the most scandalous news ever to come out of Pacifica. It will thrill you, shock you, make you question your own existence. Be prepared for the horror of......

Dilber's laundry list!

That's right folks, we will expose the full story of this. Is it true Dilber mixes whites and colours? Does he starch his underwear? Our diligent spy is working hard to uncover the answers to these questions and more. Make sure to watch for next weeks issue of...whatever the hell this thing is called.[/sarcasm]

My only response to the OP is yawn. Maybe next time your spy will manage to find some real news.

Why did you need to post if the thread was so boring?

Does he starch his underwear?

Any good Pacifican knows that Dilber doesn't wear underwear at all. Trick question, but a question that I of course am prepared to answer. That's not even getting into the weird stuff we know about Dilber (keywords: watersports, Japanese girls, PEN 15).

The Meaning of Freedom as Far as Vladimir is Concerned was quoted to denote the "usual manner" in which you reply to threads that broach philosophical essays--unendingly.

Even if this was the case (which I don't believe it to be), how is this related to anything that has happened in Pacifica within the last week? Maybe you should change the title to 'This month(approximately) in the OWF'.

Even if this was the case (which I don't believe it to be), how is this related to anything that has happened in Pacifica within the last week? Maybe you should change the title to 'This month(approximately) in the OWF'.

Thank you for asking a question before doign any research yourself.

The thread that is referenced was, in fact, opened during the week under discussion (TWiP is a weekly re-cap, so it goes over events from the previous week). Vladimir responded to the thread over several pages, and thoguh I couldn't be bothered to wade through the mess, the point was to make a joke about Vladimir's verbosity.

Good God--Am I really this high-brow?

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with those that say that this week's TWiP was a bit lacking. There's got to be something actually bad that the NPO is doing somewhere. Heck it's not like there aren't any brown team alliances still under the NPO's control. And it's not like there aren't abuses of power by high ranking NPO officials in those alliances or anything...

yeah but nobody is going to be able to help you unless they kill NPO, and that just doesnt seem to be happening, NPO hated you and yet you accepted a viceroy from them, you had to expect the old feelings to continue.

I don't hold grudges unless the person continues to give me sufficient reason to continue not liking them. Undoubtedly, Electron Sponge was my public enemy number one in the weeks and months after the UJW, but you see, I know how to forgive and forget. I am glad I was able to, because now Sponge and I have overlapping goals and ambitions for Cyber Nations, and my openmindedness has allowed me to work with Sponge towards our common goal, which has been successful so far. When it comes to my goals, I'm a pragmatist. I may let a lot of annoyances slide if it furthers my goal, and I will most certainly be willing to overlook something that happened almost a year and a half ago, especially when the perpetrator of that ancient offense is friendly, fun and helpful.

No. Perhaps you should spend some time studying Sir Paul's early work, otherwise I'd just stick to tabloid distortion -- satire clearly isn't your thing.

I'd rather be a tabloid distortionist than a pseudophilosophical distortionist. At least people find the tabloid material mildly interesting. You also have about as much experience with satire as my mom does with theoretical particle physics.