CNRP OOC Thread

Stormcrow

CNRP has slowed to a crawl! :P

Yea you are right. When there are no wars going on CNRP slows down a lot but hopefully things will speed right back up again soon when I create the new thread that is more about my squad's war against Henry and his forces instead of just them hunting down ancient artifacts.

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea you are right. When there are no wars going on CNRP slows down a lot but hopefully things will speed right back up again soon when I create the new thread that is more about my squad's war against Henry and his forces instead of just them hunting down ancient artifacts.

Given wars tend to be the most creeping kind of RPs, I'd disagree on that one.

Conflict not necessarily actual war tends to drive activity.  Peak activity is driven by the jockeying for position prior to war.  There are only four or five nations with ether the necessary means or the balls to drive conflict.  An even smaller amount with the resolve to sustain it.  Character RP also has a role in driving activity but rarely can drive mass activity only that of 2-3 people at most per RP.

Well, we'd need a crisis in which people would be willing to put time, effort, and IC resources towards, yet couldn't end in an all-out war that required their possible surrender.

Perhaps some kind of diplomatic crisis where a violent solution would be unacceptable?

Could do one where Henry tries to take over the world with a clone dragon army and while you guys fight off his army my squad finally kills him.

Unless you guys actually think that is a good idea just consider it a joke.

Triyun, I'd like to ask about what you wrote in your thread about Tikal and how you came to the conclusion that these things would happen like that - that is, if you didn't take some liberties and had these things happen for narrative purposes more than basing them on the actual RPd nation.

To the South the Principality of Tikal was suffering from its own crisis of hyper inflation, its technological autarkism eventually caught up to it as the inability to capture high value export markets, coupled with rising costs of inputs, draining its capital reserves, forcing the leadership to print money for grand public works projects its economy was based on.

And

[...] and Tikal all made moves for gas in the Gulf of Mexico.

as well as

American units hit the Athenians and Tikal Forces, destroying most of their naval forces within a week.

I'm genuinely curious here. Thanks for your answer in advance.

Everyone in the story is subject to a degree of IRL constraints not seen in CN RP.  Economics, political science, military science, etc informs my analysis projecting out.

In terms of the first one: basic macro-economic theory.  You RPed your nation having an independent computer system for cyber security reasons and have told me that quote you don't have access to the internet.  That means your input costs for exports are fundamentally much higher than others.  As your region of Latin America only has very limited natural resources (such as metals, rare earth, food production), and your technical mega projects are quite high and capital intensive you're spending a lot of money.  You might argue you get them from space, but then you're looking on spending on an order of magnitude 20 or so times higher per unit driving up capital costs even further.  However, your exports would be more expensive meaning you'd not really have a comparative advantage in trade with anyone one anything.  Meaning that the only way you could really afford to continually finance your economy would be a large amount of foreign capital inflows or printing money.  As the entire global economy is hit by a commodity price spike alongside the severe crippling of financial markets, foreign capital flows vanish.  That leaves you with essentially two options, great depression or hyper inflation.  I chose hyper inflation.

In terms of the gulf.  As has been already established you have no more capital to pay for things and there is a global energy crisis.  This means that liquified natural gas and oil are worth their weight in gold and easy resources to obtain.  The choice then for any nation on the Gulf, particularly in light of a rising American super power with access to hydrocarbon resources (still projected to be by far the cheapest and necessary for most of the world out to I believe 2080), would be to get a piece of the pie yourself, lest you become a sphere of influence via a neo-Monroe doctrine. 

In terms of the last point, Tikal forces are simply extraordinarily inexperienced.  The key to naval operations particularly carrier and submarine (the two most important) is the tacit knowledge of doing operations at sea.  The key to victory in the air is fighting dog fights or highly simulated dog fights.  Carrier air operations, the combination of the two is by far the most difficult.  One enlisted mechanic misplacing a wrench on a chaotic flight deck, and it getting sucked into an engine nozzle portends disaster.  Tikal's simply lacks this experience.  As has been established, Tikal is hurting for money so the number of flight hours and time at sea is logically going to decrease, just like the number of hours squadrons in the US Air Force have to train in the air has been drastically decreased with sequestration.  As Von Moltke said no battle plan survives contact with the enemy.  In the land, there is no trained an experienced NCO or Officer corps in Tikal.  When things break down and your getting shot at, and you don't have time to think it out, you have no basis from which to form instincts and make decisions.

Further Tikal is again hobbled by its techno-isolationism.  Most functional combat systems that are really good are really good because they've been battle tested.  The American tomahawk cruise missile is so much more reliable than other cruise missiles because its been used in actual combat, and subjected to the friction of war.  We've then ironed out the details.  Because much of its architecture is built on a completely unique system, its ability to link with the more battle proven Athenian sensor networks are hobbled.  As a result one would logically expect that the defensive systems of Tikal are extremely unreliable vis a vis other systems. 

American Forces by contrast have at least conducted a few operations, and are in the thread motivated by a much more radical political ideology instilling a greater Espirit D'Corps.  Further America is a much larger country with more money to spend on training, modernization, keeping its navy at sea and air force in the air, and a larger standing military force.  Its armies also have more ready access to fuel, natural mineral deposits, etc to stockpile resources for an arms build up.  Therefore combined with launching first strikes and the fundamental offensive advantage of precision guided missiles vs. missile defenses (an optimistic scenario is that a single defensive missile costs 8 times as much to build as an offensive missile, and only has a .5 chance of hitting), and the very limited geographic space you have from which to position forces, the advantage would clearly be significantly skewed towards America.

Athenian forces are of course very highly experienced and more dispersed thus introducing more friction but more easily swept aside as it has been fighting a massive war in Europe and a civil war and is spread too thin, and battered.  

As the war continues Tikal's forces will gain experience, just like the United States did in WW II, where its performance in the first years was not great but got better.  

Well... Poland's definitely one of the big protagonists, but has its traditional luck.  

What I meant was, with your summary of events, are you setting us up for an Alternate-CNRPverse we can all partake in, or is it just that, an ongoing narrative of events for shits and giggles?

I'm assuming the former.

Hello ladies and gentlemen just thought I should let you know where I have disappeared to. I was semi-active before I disappeared and only recently I have had to move house for both personal and financial reasons. My new address has piss poor internet as it is on an internet dongle leaving me little time to write actual post content. As such I crossed the inactivity line and was removed from the map which is fair.

However, I would like to request that when I have proper internet in, hopefully this coming Tuesday, could I please have my old nation back though I would likely do some re writing for it to bring it more up to date with events that have passed. If not then would anyone be willing to allow me to set up a nation in an area they control/protect? Thank you.