Spies Input

admin

So what happens to a spy when its done with his/her mission if its not killed? returned home?

Do you send one over and get an instentanious result after you chose what you want to do?

If you send one in and it fails, do you still lose your money?!

AHHHH I dont do well with change :ph34r:

Edited by Ortal Land

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what happens to a spy when its done with his/her mission if its not killed? returned home?

Do you send one over and get an instentanious result after you chose what you want to do?

If you send one in and it fails, do you still lose your money?!

AHHHH I dont do well with change :ph34r:

I'd imagine you eat the cost if they fail and they instantaneously return, much like how deployed soldiers return after a nuke

That is a great way to implement it. Will it tell what kind of spying took place?

If the attacker is revealed in the attack it will log the date and time, attacker and defender nation names, ruler, teams, and alliances, type of attack, and outcome.

I've updated the information index on spies again. Mainly dealing with peace mode nations. At first I was only going to allow the Gather Intelligence operation for peace mode nations but the other missions in green text aren't really destructive and they allow nations to harass one another across the peace mode barrier without causing too much damage. Thoughts?
Reasonable. I have no problem w/ it.

Will there be penalties for abusing the spy system?

If you can only be hit twice per day, alliances can just spy on their own members (albeit at a large cost) to prevent others from seeing inside. It's the equivalent of war-slot filling for spying

Edit: Looks good!

Edited by awesome-o

If you can only be hit twice per day, alliances can just spy on their own members (albeit at a large cost) to prevent others from seeing inside. It's the equivalent of war-slot filling for spying

Not quite, inner alliance wars are okay AFAIK as long at least one side attacks, war slot filling costs nothing that makes it illegal, while spy slot "filling" will cost stuff.

And as said, I can see already a set of uses, after arrangement to use spies "against" friendly nation.

Oh and don't forget peoples reasonable fear, that discovering trades might change the game quite somewhat, as specially to the disadvantage of smaller alliances.

Edited by fuzzycat

Not quite, inner alliance wars are okay AFAIK as long at least one side attacks, war slot filling costs nothing that makes it illegal, while spy slot "filling" will cost stuff.

And as said, I can see already a set of uses, after arrangement to use spies "against" friendly nation.

Oh and don't forget peoples reasonable fear, that discovering trades might change the game quite somewhat, as specially to the disadvantage of smaller alliances.

I want to prevent spying on my nation and so do you. I spy on you twice and each time I do "Intel report" where I see your trade partners, etc... No more spying cna be done on you. If you do the same to me, we've basically filled our spy-slots.

Perhaps this could be fixed by preventing a 2nd spy mission on the same nation if the first is successful

This will cost 400k per day. That makes it legit IMHO, as opposed to war slot filling. And there could be a honest interest on my nation in the alliance too.. so don't tell me moderatoin will then check every spy mission, why it has been taken and if it was used to protect the target, or if it was used in a "honest" way of interest.

What scares me most ist getting maximum spy protection, will cost me 550*100k = 55Millions (!)

I will be short, since some of my reservations have been mentioned several times:

1. The only features that I would ever spend money on would be destroying nukes, or in special situations changing DEFCON.

2. You should be aware of the potential perverse effect of the Government change option. I would be much more likely to be changing the government of my allies (trying to hit Monarchy) than that of my foes. Heck, I don't even know what the desired Government is before I change it...

I would be much more likely to be changing the government of my allies (trying to hit Monarchy) than that of my foes. Heck, I don't even know what the desired Government is before I change it...

And for this reason, people will have alliance members intentionally spy on them to try and get bad government types changed to something good, preferably Monarchy.

Perhaps this should only change the government type to certain ones, like Dictatorship, Revolutionary, or Transitional?

Edited by Magicman657

OK. All you puny nations need to get off the large nation's backs. You always want us to pay more for everything and at the same time ask us for aid. Not to mention the high cost of everything at that stage.

So, in light of this I say that the spy activity will need to be balanced to a T. It will be far too easy for the scales to be tipped towards smaller or larger nations. If it is tipped one way or the other it will be a disaster. This feature adds a whole new dynamic to the game and will change the way alot of things are done and could even the playing field for alliances.

So, I say to you admin. Tread lightly on this ground and be very sure of your work.

It will start many more wars, that is what spies will do. ;)

Everything causes war here :P .

I think Border Walls should help the defense from spies.

Only if they try to steal a bridge (infra)!

this is a great update but i would not want to be spied on lol

Which is why I find it odd that peace mode nations can be attacked with these features...

what about instead of changing it to a random government type, the spy can change it to anarchy for the next couple tax collections

Now that would be a bit overpowered, considering that war hinges on how fast you can get your enemy into anarchy. It would simply overpower any quad attack.

Edited by Myalam

I am excited to see what this new feature will do to the current balance of the game. Great job Admin. I am wondering what the cost will be to maintain 500 spies? This might have been covered but I read through this thread and didn't catch it. I'll re-read the main topic in case I missed it.

Also, do you think you will ever develop a humanitarian aid feature? I recognize we have foreign aid but I think it would be interesting to see a stronger aid feature that allowed nations to spend dollars/tech/infra to improve other nations with similar features, for example, improve nation happiness or build them an improvement--I understand logically finances make this all possible through foreign aid but I though perhaps your creative mind could move towards the opposite of the war system. I know generally speaking nations even outside the verse opt for war over peace but, hey!

Either way--great job!