Re: Reavers

HeroofTime55

[quote name='HeroofTime55' timestamp='1350199919' post='3041262']
Seriously, you guys, I mean, you realize at the rate things are going, admin is likely to pull the plug within a year, right?
[/quote]

Good.

Great in fact.

Listen, I've heard this attitude of "the game sucks because of the players" for a long time now and that's frankly just a lot of crap. A game is no fun because it isn't fun, not because the players aren't playing it right. To say that is giving the game's creator far too much credit.

If a movie sucks, do you blame those who made the movie or do you blame the people watching it?

People play the way they do because this is what works. War is purely destructive with little to be gained except the hope that the opponent might get destroyed a bit more than you get destroyed. Even then, it takes forever and a half to build yourself back up and get your warchest back to where it needs to be. Who the hell would go blatantly looking for even odds in such circumstances? No one would because it's idiotic. And don't give me, "this game is going to end soon so why not?" People have been saying that for years. We're still here and it's still boring.

And as far as war being fun goes, even that tends to lose it's luster after about a week. It becomes a repetitive and tedious routine and the falling action is particularly grueling. I can't even !@#$@#$ tell you when the last war technically ended because I pretty much stopped paying attention.

Why do we all still play? Well I'm still here because I enjoy interacting with my alliance-mates and my alliance's allies. Most people will give a similar response when asked that question. Don't put the blame on all of us, because the fact of the matter is, the people who play CN are CN's only saving grace right now.

NPO didn't ruin the game.

Supergrievances didn't ruin the game.

Doomhouse didn't ruin the game.

You can't ruin what already blows.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Legendoftheskies makes a excellent point with regards to blaming the player base. Sure, fewer of us are around then before, but, when it comes down to it, the people that run the major alliances of this game have been doing it the exact same way, even since before I joined the game in 2008. Sure, it was different in, say, early 2006. But that was a different era, before people completely understood the game mechanics and how to abuse them to maximum benefit. If admin and the mod team were to keep changing the game mechanics, then perhaps it would keep the political structure of the game interesting. But why are you blaming people for being profecient in the mechanics of a game that has barely changed in 5 years? Would you rather us all just be worse at the game?

Furthermore, I don't see why people keep blaming alliances who are using [i]political[/i] tactics in a [i]politics[/i] based game. Terrible of us, right? Hate to say it, but we aren't about to just toss away the advantages over our enemies that we've built up using diplomacy and the abilities that we have. You wouldn't do it either.

I agree with Azaghul: whatever complaints you want to make about the game stagnating because of player decisions (and there are many to be made), the fact that Umb and TOP have a lot of top-tier nations between them is really not much of a factor. Don't forget that you can declare war on anyone with 250 nations of your NS rank. There are plenty of nations with plenty of warchest out there to drag down those elite nations, if they want to.

Couple of things.

First, I pretty much do agree with LoS, and stated several of his points a few posts back. The core of the issue is that we need admin to stop being lazy. Seriously, he has a grade-A member base and he is literally throwing it away. He is actually incredibly lucky to have such a strong player base, the fact that he is just throwing it away is beyond appalling.

But he won't. No amount of calls for him to do something to save this game have ever worked, and this thread won't change that. We have a game administrator who simply doesn't care about his own game and who couldn't care less about us. It's !@#$@#$ sad, and makes me want to rip all my hair out.

Second, this isn't really political. This disease has been rampant for years, and TOP/Umb are only the latest symptom. Also don't forget I called out NPO/Sparta for trying to drum up support for an utterly and completely boring exercise in futility. The thing is, there are alliances that can change things. And there are individuals - the leaders of those particular alliances - that are capable of making a move to shake up the same old boring patterns. Yeah, war isn't interesting, okay, sure, mechanics and game play absolutely can be improved, there is no doubt about that. But there are a few people who have the ability to make a big move - and even "win" when doing so - but they don't, because they think stomping on bugs is more interesting than winning in a real fight (That they puff out their chests as they do after stepping on said bugs, doesn't really help the pathetic state that we are in). These leaders could make a move that makes the world fluid again - instead they just sit around, predictably, with their thumbs up their asses, signing a dozen redundant treaties with whoever is the current power center at any particular moment. That the power center hasn't changed for four years is irrelevant to my argument, but symptomatic of the problem.

Edited by HeroofTime55

[quote name='redhavk1' timestamp='1350242048' post='3041375']
I fail to see why no one buys this game. It seems great, but someone would have to keep it somehow status-quo, but put some more life in it.

New features, etc etc
[/quote]
Because it's not on facebook.

[quote name='HeroofTime55' timestamp='1350241309' post='3041373']
Couple of things.

First, I pretty much do agree with LoS, and stated several of his points a few posts back. The core of the issue is that we need admin to stop being lazy. Seriously, he has a grade-A member base and he is literally throwing it away. He is actually incredibly lucky to have such a strong player base, the fact that he is just throwing it away is beyond appalling.

But he won't. No amount of calls for him to do something to save this game have ever worked, and this thread won't change that. We have a game administrator who simply doesn't care about his own game and who couldn't care less about us. It's !@#$@#$ sad, and makes me want to rip all my hair out.

Second, this isn't really political. This disease has been rampant for years, and TOP/Umb are only the latest symptom. Also don't forget I called out NPO/Sparta for trying to drum up support for an utterly and completely boring exercise in futility. The thing is, there are alliances that can change things. And there are individuals - the leaders of those particular alliances - that are capable of making a move to shake up the same old boring patterns. Yeah, war isn't interesting, okay, sure, mechanics and game play absolutely can be improved, there is no doubt about that. But there are a few people who have the ability to make a big move - and even "win" when doing so - but they don't, because they think stomping on bugs is more interesting than winning in a real fight (That they puff out their chests as they do after stepping on said bugs, doesn't really help the pathetic state that we are in). These leaders could make a move that makes the world fluid again - instead they just sit around, predictably, with their thumbs up their asses, signing a dozen redundant treaties with whoever is the current power center at any particular moment. That the power center hasn't changed for four years is irrelevant to my argument, but symptomatic of the problem.
[/quote]

If you actually paid attention to the formation of groups you'd see things are already in the making....... this treaty we formed with TOP hardly changes the political field at all. All this does is solidify our friendship and show that we intend on sharing mutual political paths in the future.

[quote name='HeroofTime55' timestamp='1350199919' post='3041262']
Seriously, you guys, I mean, you realize at the rate things are going, admin is likely to pull the plug within a year, right? So why even bother with all the stat-hugging?

It's funny, really. The reason the game is dying is because it is boring as all hell. The reason it is boring as all hell is because everyone hugs their stats and their multi-billion dollar warchests (if they have them). You can't even tell me you are even mildly hyped up when you go out to curbstomp the same goddamn parties for the seventh time.[/quote]

If admin is going to "pull the plug" then nothing that happens within the game will change that even if the majority of the player base becomes ruins.

The reason the game "is dying" isn't because its stagnant, its because we are in 2012 where most gamers in this era like to play games with graphics and action, most who are here are probably either old school internet gamers (text-based) / community players or in the text-based niche market.

[quote name='the rebel' timestamp='1350243607' post='3041380']
If admin is going to "pull the plug" then nothing that happens within the game will change that even if the majority of the player base becomes ruins.

The reason the game "is dying" isn't because its stagnant, its because we are in 2012 where most gamers in this era like to play games with graphics and action, most who are here are probably either old school internet gamers (text-based) / community players or in the text-based niche market.
[/quote]

I'd have to disagree with you in terms of the player base we have on this game, the majority of active players in Umbrella are also gamer's that play modern games. These gamer's are also young in comparison of when text based games were popular. I'm not saying this is true for all of Cybernation however from the perspective of players I communicate with I will claim you are wrong. People aren't not playing this game because it doesn't have graphics they are not playing it because your limitations are astounding with comparison to what you should be able to do.

[quote name='Tick1' timestamp='1350243874' post='3041381']
I'd have to disagree with you in terms of the player base we have on this game, the majority of active players in Umbrella are also gamer's that play modern games. These gamer's are also young in comparison of when text based games were popular.[/quote]

Then they would be in the last two categeries community players or niche since to like text-based doesnt mean you don't play modern games :P

[quote name='the rebel' timestamp='1350244846' post='3041383']
Then they would be in the last two categeries community players or niche since to like text-based doesnt mean you don't play modern games :P
[/quote]

pssh, reading full statements is over-rated

[quote name='Proest' timestamp='1350245477' post='3041385']
Why doesn't the OP practice what he preaches? If you want things to be interesting then take the proverbial bull by the horns and do it yourself. Whinging about the treaty is annoying.

Obligatory Umbrella is evil, etc.
[/quote]Because 1) Going rogue accomplishes literally nothing, and 2) Any other attempts to subterfuge the system are instantly shut down by the overwhelming majority.

Believe me, I have tried, and I have done more for this game than the vast majority of people. I brought hundreds of new players, whereas most players in this game will do everything in their power to drive away newbies. I tried my hardest to forge a new way of doing things, and I was met with hostility and resistance, and ultimately shut down.

I tried. But it is impossible.

So for $%&@s sake, quit using the "do something about it" cop-out. This is a serious discussion about the future of this game, not a place for petty IC chest-puffing. Get out.

[quote name='HeroofTime55' timestamp='1350252566' post='3041409']
Because 1) Going rogue accomplishes literally nothing, and 2) Any other attempts to subterfuge the system are instantly shut down by the overwhelming majority.

Believe me, I have tried, and I have done more for this game than the vast majority of people. I brought hundreds of new players, whereas most players in this game will do everything in their power to drive away newbies. I tried my hardest to forge a new way of doing things, and I was met with hostility and resistance, and ultimately shut down.

I tried. But it is impossible.

So for $%&@s sake, quit using the "do something about it" cop-out. This is a serious discussion about the future of this game, not a place for petty IC chest-puffing. Get out.
[/quote]

You are the one using the 'Do something about it' cop-out.....

[quote name='HeroofTime55' timestamp='1350252816' post='3041411']
I've actually done things. Sit down.
[/quote]

Yes and clearly you are very upset that your efforts have accomplished nothing. Hence why you are here complaining to all of the other active players instead of continuing your amazing work. I'm sorry you believe the audience can salvage this disaster and I'm sorry you have put 'effort' into salvaging it.

Please stop before more of your time is spent in vein.

[quote name='Unknown Smurf' timestamp='1350232317' post='3041325']
TOP/UMB and their direct allies account for 46.6% of the top 100 when you take out the neutrals. This DOES NOT include alliances like TLR/GATO who are in C&G and allies of DH, if you take those numbers into account TOP/UMB+allies make up over 60.3%.

Out of the top 1000 TOP/Umb+allies make up 48% and TOP/Umb+direct allies make up 34.5%

Neutrals make up 42 of the top 100 and 194 of the top 1000. I may have missed some neutral alliances.

Reference: [url="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Auwa4QZwqSWEdDlDbzZ4d1JYazhVVzJjOUtZOXlyNlE#gid=0]stats"]https://docs.google....NlE#gid=0]stats[/url][/url].
[/quote]

The only ones recognize here are just TOP and Umb and not their allies. It only means TOP and Umb and their allies are doing a better FA and better growth than their opponents. And proof is stated on these stats

[quote name='Namayan' timestamp='1350253182' post='3041414']
The only ones recognize here are just TOP and Umb and not their allies. It only means TOP and Umb and their allies are doing a better FA and better growth than their opponents. And proof is stated on these stats
[/quote]
No, they just win wars. The rest lends itself easily once you dominate the whole game.

I think you guys are mistaking this as in-game propaganda against TOP and Umbrella. It's not. I'm indifferent to the latter and I actually kinda like the former.

[quote name='HeroofTime55' timestamp='1350252816' post='3041411']
I've actually done things. Sit down.
[/quote]
So have I. So have plenty of people that have posted in this thread. That's an irrelevant point and just because one has accomplished something in this world, does not give them the right to constantly complain about others. But yeah, contradictions and chest-puffing are fun, just keep going for it.

[quote name='HeroofTime55' timestamp='1350237835' post='3041360']
This is clearly what I meant by "how long has it been," and I clearly was not pointing out the fact that they still haven't caught back up to where the "elite" alliances are at despite being 2 years in the clear.
[/quote]

Well then...er...I misunderstood what you said. My bad, broham.

Basically what Bob and LoS said on the last page, yeah. I'm not still around because the game is thrilling. I like making graphics during wartime, even if they suck. I like chilling with my alliance mates, I like that interaction. We're mostly political science or history majors in my alliance, so we all have similar interests to talk about. The fact that we get in on that sweet, sweet text-based random-number-generating action once a year just makes it better.

Click click, $%^&@#.