What motivates you?

Sephiroth

Do you want to see the current hegemony or powers to be defeated?  

197 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When my nation came into creation it was as the Unjust War was going on, NPO held dominance with an iron fist for a very long time, curb stomping whoever they wanted to keep their allies from getting bored over lack of war. Almost everyone feared opposing the NPO, as that meant getting rolled. For me seeing an end to NPO's hegemony was a motivation in every political action I was involved with and my reason for getting involved in politics. Everyone I supported for entry in Citadel I supported because I thought them joining would tip the scale to make Citadel less pro-NPO (TOP was pro-NPO, OG was pro-NPO, Gremlins were on the fence for a while, but had a lot of members who were not pro-NPO), however when bringing in Argent and Umbrella into Citadel neither were pro-NPO. When MK was black listed from signing treaties with by NPO, I pushed strongly for FCC to sign an MDP with MK despite protests from the rest of Citadel as the FCC's way of protesting NPO's influence in Citadel. (I remember when 1 vote made the difference between the treaty passing or not, on IRC I convinced the current Director of the alliance to vote in favor to tip the scale of the vote in favor of the treaty despite him being very hesitant)

When I became King of FCC, an old friend who was a member of FCC when I first joined congratulated me and asked about what I planned to do. My response when explaining my motivation was I saw NPO as the final boss of the game, defeating NPO is how to win the game for me. Once NPO was defeated I led FCC for over half a year afterward, but once they were defeated I no longer had a goal motivating my actions and wasn't as active. I no longer had something I wanted to accomplish, so I eventually resigned to let others take over who might have further goals for the FCC.

So I achieved my long time goal which motivated everything I did in politics with the Karma War, so afterward I retired with nothing left to accomplish and have just focused on having fun with the war system under extreme conditions since then. However how many people really have a goal beyond survival behind their political actions, how many want to win against the current powers that be? Surviving by latching onto the powerful or not having any goals beyond survival is easy, but how many want to win against the current powers that be by beating them rather than joining them? Without people who want to win by defeating the current winners, the world will stagnate and nothing will change. So more people need to set goals on winning, with winning involving defeating those who are currently the winning team for anything interesting to occur.

Edited by Methrage

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Ayatollah Bromeini' timestamp='1331109575' post='2934981']
Who and or what are you referring to as the "hegemony"?
[/quote]
That might be viewed a little differently from different points of views I suppose, but the current hegemony I think would likely consist of Doom House and allies. Doom House and Pandora's Box would be comparable to One Vision and Continuum from back in the NPO days, although MK aren't quite as powerful as NPO was back then, they are pretty close in their power and influence I think.

Although the point of the poll isn't do you think MK needs to be defeated as much as, do you view certain alliances or blocs to be the dominate powers and do you want to defeat them rather than cooperate with them?

Edited by Methrage

So, beat one hegemony, replace it with another? Beat that hegemony too out of boredom? When does it stop? Playing king of the hill here.

Joke's on all of you, the kings of the hill are both neutrals.

[quote name='MrMuz' timestamp='1331117148' post='2934992']
So, beat one hegemony, replace it with another? Beat that hegemony too out of boredom? When does it stop? Playing king of the hill here.

Joke's on all of you, the kings of the hill are both neutrals.
[/quote]
I'm obviously not in a position or have motivation to take out MK, which is why I retired from politics largely. Although it was back when NPO was powerful the only reason motivating me to put the kind of effort forth at doing any kind of political manuvuering. NPO was defeated very long ago and hasn't been a threat since the Karma War, so seeking to beat them again is pointless. So its interesting what motivates people who make decisions for alliances or try to get into positions to make decisions for an alliance.

Edited by Methrage

Voted other because you attached sentiments to the answers instead of just "Yes" "No" and "Maybe". Someone doesn't have to want their alliance to take part in something to also want to see it happen. They're obviously lazy, but it's possible.

I personally do not hold any particular attachment to the "seat of power" that MK allegedly sits in at the moment. It's certainly a fun place to be, but I wouldn't begrudge anyone who wishes to attempt to unseat us. Now I don't exactly wish destruction upon me and mine, but destruction is the way of the world, and if it's going to happen it might as well be due to a meaningful endeavor.

On the other hand, I think that everyone who isn't in my sphere is terminally boring, so I can only despair at the kind of world we would have without us at the top.

[quote name='Ayatollah Bromeini' timestamp='1331109575' post='2934981']
Who and or what are you referring to as the "hegemony"?
[/quote]
Probably something like this:

[IMG]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z327/GummiDeMilo/Sigs%20and%20Propaganda/TreatyMap2.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Ardus' timestamp='1331149110' post='2935118']

[IMG]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z327/GummiDeMilo/Sigs%20and%20Propaganda/TreatyMap2.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]

I like your picture

[quote name='Sardonic' timestamp='1331153741' post='2935147']
You forgot GOONS-TLR and UMB-ODN and my good friends in BFF, but otherwise, very nice map.

Also voted yes ironically.
[/quote]
Except for NPO and NpO's treaties it was all off the top of my head, so there are plenty of treaties (and alliances) left out.

[quote name='King Death II' timestamp='1331153889' post='2935148']
What motivates me to play CN is the fear of what my life will be without CN since Ive been playing it for 5 years already. Im not sure what Id do with my life if I stopped :P
[/quote]
You might go outside.

[quote name='Ardus' timestamp='1331149110' post='2935118']

[/quote]
MK is clearly in the center, thus the current hegemony. If you guys were to lose CnG though, it would be like when NPO lost NpO and mark the beginning of the end for you guys.

[quote name='James Dahl' timestamp='1331160569' post='2935222']
The TOP/MK relationship is basically the hegemony now. If you are in DuckRoll or PF and don't like MK, well too bad, you're in their orbit thanks to your ties to TOP.
[/quote]
Citadel from the outside probably seemed more in NPO's corner than PF seems to be in MK's corner, but most of Citadel ended up opposing NPO in the Karma War. While they might not like that treaty, they can also ignore it when war comes up by putting themselves on a side before TOP enters and do what they're going to do regardless of the MK treaty, which would probably cause TOP to ignore it if they have conflicting treaties due to PF being a stronger treaty. They don't need to align themselves to MK just because TOP has a non-chaining treaty. In the Karma War The Citadel had 2 members who had MDP+ treaties with NPO, but everyone except OG fought on the side of Karma when the war came. So TOP can't really force their allies to support who they don't want to, especially considering the treaty TOP has with MK is non-chaining.

Edited by Methrage

[quote name='Methrage' timestamp='1331159452' post='2935209']
MK is clearly in the center, thus the current hegemony. If you guys were to lose CnG though, it would be like when NPO lost NpO and mark the beginning of the end for you guys.
[/quote]

oh, yes....clearly CnG is what defines MK's power. You are a master of wisdom.

[quote name='Ardus' timestamp='1331157982' post='2935193']
Except for NPO and NpO's treaties it was all off the top of my head, so there are plenty of treaties (and alliances) left out.
[/quote]
Ah, very impressive then.

The favorite treaty map I've ever made was a map of who hated who and how much. Those sorts of maps come in handy, a good way to explain political situations to people quickly.
[quote name='James Dahl' timestamp='1331160569' post='2935222']
The TOP/MK relationship is basically the hegemony now. If you are in DuckRoll or PF and don't like MK, well too bad, you're in their orbit thanks to your ties to TOP.
[/quote]
'lol'.

[quote name='nippy' timestamp='1331161517' post='2935230']
oh, yes....clearly CnG is what defines MK's power. You are a master of wisdom.
[/quote]
Its not just their power, but how consistently reliable they've been for MK. If they suddenly didn't have that power to fall back on, their position would be much more shakey. Just as NPO had allies stronger than NpO, but after they lost NpO what they had left wasn't as committed to always fight on their side no matter what.

[quote name='Methrage' timestamp='1331161739' post='2935232']
Its not just their power, but how consistently reliable they've been for MK. If they suddenly didn't have that power to fall back on, their position would be much more shakey. Just as NPO had allies stronger than NpO, but after they lost NpO what they had left wasn't as committed to always fight on their side no matter what.
[/quote]

Ah, yes....TOP has consistently been there for MK, whereas MK's participation in Doomhouse has definitely given them reason to worry.