Will the Real Ragnarok Please stand up?

Yukon Don

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in, I haven't said much on OWF.

Ignoring anything that occurred before the coup, and going on what [url=http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/Charter_of_Ragnarok]this[/url] says (and it's probably outdated, but it's all I've got at this moment), there is nothing forbidding the RoK membership from overthrowing the Emperor.

Joe and Bob have a logical claim as leaders of RoK if you assume RoK is a monarchy or oligarchy. Since they've been ousted by their own membership, they can claim leadership all they want, but unless the majority of RoK's remaining members even want a Joe/Bob leadership, they're SOOL.

Chalk all of this up to a poorly written charter, a poor choice of government, and poor FA decisions (that is, if the RoK membership overthrew Joe/Bob because of such decisions).

I stand by my alliance in supporting RoK's membership and recognize Adel as the new leader of RoK. However, I fear RoK's time may be up shortly.

[quote name='Leet Guy' timestamp='1328041325' post='2911692']
KK has continued her nuclear assault against the Mushroom Kingdom and has hereby been placed on our Goomba List. I would also strongly advise against aiding a nation at war with my alliance.
[/quote]

Result Achieved!

[quote name='Bob Janova' timestamp='1328041891' post='2911705']
Well, I guess MK have declared their hand – they don't want to be reasonable, they want to bait Adel-RoK into a war.
[/quote]
Hang on a sec. I haven't really been keeping up with these threads, but are there actually people who think the Kait coup was legitimate and Adel installation is the rightful government and treat it as such?

Well, I guess MK have declared their hand – they don't want to be reasonable, they want to bait Adel-RoK into a war.
[/quote]
If KK wanted peace she should have had an audience with the government of RoK and MK and talked through diplomatic channels, instead of retaliating with nukes, twice. I don't know how you run your alliance, but in mine, when you fight us, you don't get to retaliate and seek peace at the same time. I hope MK force her through a mercy board.

Edited by Sardonic

[quote name='JonAce' timestamp='1328044399' post='2911756']
Ignoring anything that occurred before the coup, and going on what [url=http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/Charter_of_Ragnarok]this[/url] says (and it's probably outdated, but it's all I've got at this moment), there is nothing forbidding the RoK membership from overthrowing the Emperor.
[/quote]
The charter lists the Emperor (as well as Regent and Vice-Regent) as lifetime positions. This directly contradicts what you're trying to claim.

[/quote]

Yes because nuking mid-negotiations is such a wise and honorable move.

[quote name='ktarthan' timestamp='1328046572' post='2911789']
The charter lists the Emperor (as well as Regent and Vice-Regent) as lifetime positions. This directly contradicts what you're trying to claim.
[/quote]

I know that, but the RoK membership ignored their own charter, which makes the charter unenforceable, worthless, and by the looks of it, no longer void. How can you run an alliance when the majority of the membership doesn't comply?

[quote name='JonAce' timestamp='1328046867' post='2911797']
I know that, but the RoK membership ignored their own charter, which makes the charter unenforceable, worthless, and by the looks of it, no longer void. How can you run an alliance when the majority of the membership doesn't comply?
[/quote]

I think a valid question at this point would be - Is Ragnarok even an alliance right now? They are barely displaying any of the characteristics of an alliance, save sharing a mutual alliance affiliation tag.

[/quote]
Right, but you [i]literally[/i] just said that there's nothing in the charter that prevents the membership from overthrowing the Emperor. That's false. If they follow the charter then it's not possible. If they don't follow the charter, then how do they call themselves Ragnarok?

[/quote]

Oppression.

[quote name='Leet Guy' timestamp='1328046642' post='2911790']
[/quote]
Nuking in self-defence is not dishonourable, although against an opponent who wants to make something of it it can certainly count as unwise. She put the ball in your court, but you still had the option to be the bigger men, particularly as this mess is RoK's fault, not really Kait's.

[quote name='ktarthan' timestamp='1328047355' post='2911800']
Right, but you [i]literally[/i] just said that there's nothing in the charter that prevents the membership from overthrowing the Emperor. That's false. If they follow the charter then it's not possible. If they don't follow the charter, then how do they call themselves Ragnarok?
[/quote]

Having a line in the charter as simple as "Any calls for the Emperor to be removed forcefully by any Ragnarok member will be met with extreme force" could have cleared up any ambiguity. Just calling the Emperor position a lifetime position doesn't hold enough weight if you don't have consequences to those who would seek to usurp.

I agree with calling RoK's allianceship(?) into question. Adel and co. need to overhaul the government before it's too late. They need a new charter.

Edited by JonAce

[quote name='Bob Janova' timestamp='1328047850' post='2911808']
Nuking in self-defence is not dishonourable, although against an opponent who wants to make something of it it can certainly count as unwise. She put the ball in your court, but you still had the option to be the bigger men, particularly as this mess is RoK's fault, not really Kait's.
[/quote]
The only "bigger man" who lets an unaligned get away with nuking your members while negotiations are ongoing with no repercussions is a "giant idiot". MK is not obliged to take damage for attacking what the former RoK government declared an unaligned ghost, especially not while negotiations for the unaligned are in progress. It is Kait's fault the situation has evolved.

Edited by Sardonic

[quote name='Leet Guy' timestamp='1328046642' post='2911790']
[/quote]

Yeah, it sucks that kait got on in time to defend her self against the 3 wars against her...also a guy from MK just declared on her today at 1:02...is that honorable?

Edited by Isaac MatthewII

The thing about alliance leaders is that they are ALWAYS accountable to their membership.

What is a charter? It's an agreement between the membership. And if the membership agrees on something else, like, say, "This guy is really bad news, and we're going to kick him out, lets put our other agreement called 'the charter' to the side for a minute," then guess what? That's perfectly acceptable. Against the charter? Yes, it is. But not against the will of the people, and it is the will of the people that is supreme, not a silly piece of parchment.

Edited by HeroofTime55

[quote name='Bob Janova' timestamp='1328048829' post='2911822']
Sardonic, I think we simply disagree over the morality of demanding that a tech raid target lay down and take it, and it's probably best not to derail the thread onto that.
[/quote]
It's not a tech raid, and when peace is being negotiated neither party is supposed to conduct aggressive acts (she did), this is incident diplomacy 101.

Regardless, fine, I'll stop posting about it until a more appropriate venue opens.

[quote name='Isaac MatthewII' timestamp='1328048824' post='2911821']
Yeah, it sucks that kait got on in time to defend her self against the 3 wars against her...also a guy from MK just declared on her today at 1:02...is that honorable?
[/quote]

Yeah, the nation we put on her after the talks broke down. Yup. That one.

[quote name='JonAce' timestamp='1328047992' post='2911811']
Having a line in the charter as simple as "Any calls for the Emperor to be removed forcefully by any Ragnarok member will be met with extreme force" could have cleared up any ambiguity. Just calling the Emperor position a lifetime position doesn't hold enough weight if you don't have consequences to those who would seek to usurp.
[/quote]
That's not necessary at all, and this is a stupid argument. It's already implicit that if you disobey your alliance's founding document that you're liable to be expelled from the alliance and have your nation destroyed.

[quote name='HeroofTime55' timestamp='1328049008' post='2911824']
The thing about alliance leaders is that they are ALWAYS accountable to their membership.

What is a charter? It's an agreement between the membership. And if the membership agrees on something else, like, say, "This guy is really bad news, and we're going to kick him out, lets put our other agreement called 'the charter' to the side for a minute," then guess what? That's perfectly acceptable. Against the charter? Yes, it is. But not against the will of the people, and it is the will of the people that is supreme, not a silly piece of parchment.
[/quote]
There's nothing wrong with this, as long as you have enough support to back up that decision. I was just pointing out that it's silly to try and argue that a coup is valid within a charter when it is clearly not.

Edited by ktarthan