A most auspicious occasion

Moridin

We would have been more relevant had we played three sides of every fence trying to cozy up with whoever held the reigns of power. It's a real a shame we took a stand on something, instead, but it was all part of our very transparent plan to restore ourselves to places of power. That's what Vox Populi was all about ... right?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Schattenmann' timestamp='1306040873' post='2716447']
And far more so than some of its former victims insist.
[/quote]

You go ahead and think whatever makes you feel more important. Feeling important was, after all, the purpose of Vox for you and Doitzel.

Edited by Crymson

[quote name='Doitzel' timestamp='1306045165' post='2716477']
We would have been more relevant had we played three sides of every fence trying to cozy up with whoever held the reigns of power. It's a real a shame we took a stand on something, instead, but it was all part of our very transparent plan to restore ourselves to places of power. That's what Vox Populi was all about ... right?
[/quote]
Yeah, you guys were like so alternative man.

If you're so disapointed with the state of the world today why don't you get down from that soap box, stop prattling on about past glories and take some of your own advice and try to shape this world more to your liking? Just a thought.

Edited by Johnny Apocalypse

Because that would take a lot of time, which, if anything has been learned, wouldn't be worth it in the long run due to natural phenomena.

Although miffed about being one of the countless silent supporters of the "movement," whom I never consented to have my voice, it was nonetheless entertaining and if not irrelivant at least sped the last power cycle up a bit.

Holy Grammar batman

Edited by caligula

[quote name='Johnny Apocalypse' timestamp='1306065108' post='2716529']
Yeah, you guys were like so alternative man.

If you're so disapointed with the state of the world today why don't you get down from that soap box, stop prattling on about past glories and take some of your own advice and try to shape this world more to your liking? Just a thought.
[/quote]
yeah they should form an AA to change the world, get a whole bunch of experienced players and band togeather, call it Vox Pop...oh wait

exactly how many times do they have to change the world?

[quote name='Schattenmann' timestamp='1306040873' post='2716447']
And far more so than some of its former victims insist.
[/quote]
Regardless of its relevancy you people romanticize the damn thing so much its sad. Let it stand for what it was -- a great idea -- and stop jerking off to it every month or so.

Edited by Feanor Noldorin

Here's the thing: what you guys did was pretty cool. The problem is, is that since then, none of the ex-Vox have done anything relevant, instead each time the anniversary of either the forming or disbanding of Vox comes up you talk about the good ol' times and how awesome you were and how you changed everything. Now I'm all for celebrating birthdays and stuff, but we've heard about your accomplishments time and time again; no one really likes an excessive bragger.

[quote name='Systemfailure' timestamp='1306069359' post='2716537']
yeah they should form an AA to change the world, get a whole bunch of experienced players and band togeather, call it Vox Pop...oh wait

exactly how many times do they have to change the world?
[/quote]

You misunderstand, my issue is with these burnt out revolutionaries complaining about the state of the world and blaming everyone else for what it has become. Instead of actively doing something to try and change things they continue to relive their glory days with their former comrades in one big backslapping orgy.

Good revolutionaries always move forward, they do not live in the past.

Edited by Johnny Apocalypse

[quote name='Systemfailure' timestamp='1306069359' post='2716537']
yeah they should form an AA [s]to change the world[/s] mouthbreath lots, get a whole bunch of [s]experienced[/s] players and [s]band together[/s] post some screen shots, call it Vox Pop...oh wait

exactly how many times do they have to [s]change the world?[/s] masturbate over something that is and was irrelevant.
[/quote]

Pretty much sums it up in my eyes.

Edited by Hiro Nakara

[quote name='Johnny Apocalypse' timestamp='1306083420' post='2716627']
You misunderstand,
[/quote]
So do you. If I or any of us really gave two !@#$% we'd be doing something, trust me. If you haven't noticed we're not the only ones reminiscing and saying things have gone to the dogs. Half the threads on the front page of OWF are either good-byes or "remember when..." threads. The last time nobody was !@#$%*ing about stagnation was when we were around because, believe it or not, fart jokes went out of style with Rugrats and curbstomps aren't interesting. The [i]point[/i] is that people moaning about how static things are have nobody to blame but themselves (and their unhealthy attachment to their infra levels).

Personally, I've done everything there is to do. Seriously [i]everything[/i]. I'll see you all in hell.

[quote name='Doitzel' timestamp='1306087095' post='2716644']
So do you. If I or any of us really gave two !@#$% we'd be doing something, trust me. If you haven't noticed we're not the only ones reminiscing and saying things have gone to the dogs. Half the threads on the front page of OWF are either good-byes or "remember when..." threads. The last time nobody was !@#$%*ing about stagnation was when we were around because, believe it or not, fart jokes went out of style with Rugrats and curbstomps aren't interesting. The [i]point[/i] is that people moaning about how static things are have nobody to blame but themselves (and their unhealthy attachment to their infra levels).

Personally, I've done everything there is to do. Seriously [i]everything[/i]. I'll see you all in hell.
[/quote]

Eh, whatever Doitzel.

While Vox achieved their goal of upsetting the status quo, they did so with an air of "fighting the bad guys", "being a rebel", etc. For this reason, I can never support the actions of Vox: while they were a step in the right direction, their motives were skewed. They wanted change, but the change they wanted and brought simply brought about the current situation. As it would have no matter what.

[quote=Doitzel]Personally, I've done everything there is to do. Seriously everything.[/quote]
I believe you may have attempted everything you thought feasible, but what must occur is an attitude change of sorts. What is it that we want? We would like more wars, more nations, more rumors, more drama? If that's the case, should we not encourage it?

People are afraid not only of loss of infrastructure, but of being "the bad guy". No one wants to make themselves look like idiots. Unfortunately, that is often what it takes. When one's priority becomes being respectable rather than causing change, the world loses a hero.

[quote name='zigbigadorlou' timestamp='1306088731' post='2716657']
While Vox achieved their goal of upsetting the status quo, they did so with an air of "fighting the bad guys", "being a rebel", etc. For this reason, I can never support the actions of Vox: while they were a step in the right direction, their motives were skewed. They wanted change, but the change they wanted and brought simply brought about the current situation. As it would have no matter what.
[/quote]
A new Vox would only be for nostalgia purposes imo. It's up to the current alliances to turn the tables on PB/MK if they want to.

Edited by Ryan Greenberg

I don't think you really need two nostalgia threads a year, heh. Formation seems like a better thing to celebrate the anniversary of.

The world is not nearly so in need of change now as it was back then – although there are things which, to a moralist, are not good about the current political landscape, there is not nearly the same climate of fear (perhaps with the exception of the Invict-O-Sphere) outside the current hegemony, or degree of control by it. There's no new NPO and no new Continuum to provide headline spy victims, either – see the muted response to Schatt's 'TWiN' spy thread.

[quote name='Doitzel' timestamp='1306087095' post='2716644']
[/quote]

I'm sure thinking so makes you feel important. And I bet that's also the reason you stick around despite your claim that you have "done everything."

It's been quite a long time since Vox closed its doors and I think its time that the unsung heroes of Vox Populi get their congratulations. While the overt wing of Vox Populi were lauded many times over, here are those brave members of Vox Populi's covert wing who risked their nations to provide our glorious revolution with information that helped bring down the Hegemony:

Alonicus
Alter Leader Nabla
AutarchEmpress
Banedon
Bmk812
clemtiger00
Detlev
DodgyBobMcMayday
Donas
doornail
Espressoville
Excruciate
InquisitiveMinds
jeff744
Kortal
LORD FRED
MaikuKun
Nihil Obstat
Obadiah Hendrix
Ronpau17
Shin One
spartan2142
Tony_Gunz
weebl2000

Your sacrifices were not forgotten, friends.

Two years? Really?

[quote name='Bob Janova' timestamp='1306094197' post='2716688']
I don't think you really need two nostalgia threads a year, heh. [/quote]

You are absolutely correct. There should be dozens of them. Formation, victory/disbandment, every issue of TWiP, taking a seat in the Red Senate, my pulling the plug on the Senate campaign, all Vox members' birthdays....why, I dare say there should be a Vox-related thread posted every day.

[quote]The world is not nearly so in need of change now as it was back then – although there are things which, to a moralist, are not good about the current political landscape, there is not nearly the same climate of fear (perhaps with the exception of the Invict-O-Sphere) outside the current hegemony, or degree of control by it. There's no new NPO and no new Continuum to provide headline spy victims, either – see the muted response to Schatt's 'TWiN' spy thread.[/quote]

In this post, Bob gives us an example of not being able to see the forest for the trees.

[quote name='Ryan Greenberg' timestamp='1306092116' post='2716676']
A new Vox would only be for nostalgia purposes imo. It's up to the current alliances to turn the tables on PB/MK if they want to.
[/quote]
I'm not so sure turning the tables is such a good plan. Just like what happened with Vox, a new power would emerge to take its place.

[quote name='zigbigadorlou' timestamp='1306111268' post='2716822']
I'm not so sure turning the tables is such a good plan. Just like what happened with Vox, a new power would emerge to take its place.
[/quote]
It'd be rather boring if MK was at the top forever.

[quote name='Crymson' timestamp='1306048493' post='2716493']
You go ahead and think whatever makes you feel more important. Feeling important was, after all, the purpose of Vox for you and Doitzel.
[/quote]
You know, Crymson, there are still lots of people invested in downplaying Vox Populi, but you're the only one that's still using the same arguments Vladimir posted 48 hours after our formation and which were disproven 2 years ago.

[quote name='Feanor Noldorin' timestamp='1306074854' post='2716564']
Regardless of its relevancy you people romanticize the damn thing so much its sad. Let it stand for what it was -- a great idea -- and stop jerking off to it every month or so.
[/quote]
My dear Feanor, in the vocabulary of your latest sugar daddies, "you mad." If you can't handle two threads a year, you might look at the delete button.

[quote name='Jens of the desert' timestamp='1306104192' post='2716754']
Always regretted that I didn't end up being a part of this when I had the chance.
[/quote]
I hear this more often than anything about Vox. The doors of history may have closed on the AA, but the mission is never complete. There is work yet to be done now by those who would have done it then.

[quote name='Ashoka the Great' timestamp='1306103967' post='2716749']
Two years? Really?
You are absolutely correct. There should be dozens of them. Formation, victory/disbandment, every issue of TWiP, taking a seat in the Red Senate, my pulling the plug on the Senate campaign, all Vox members' birthdays....why, I dare say there should be a Vox-related thread posted every day.[/quote]
It seems longer than that, and yet so much shorter, too. But don't let Feanor get to you, he's just upset that we made TOP have to go to allllllll the trouble of realigning themselves with Polaris and then alllll the trouble of realigning themselves with MK. I really fear for the poor devils who bring a serious war to MK and make TOP go to alllll the trouble of switching allies [i]again[/i]. I think it speaks volumes, just [i]volumes[/i], that TOP complains more than Pacifica.
[quote name='Ashoka the Great' timestamp='1306103967' post='2716749']
In this post, Bob gives us an example of not being able to see the forest for the trees.
[/quote]
There's a certain wry humor, a....... an air of schadenfreude when I see people argue that because there are 4 (or is it 5, now?) blocs all absolutely aligned to each other instead of just one that there is no equivalent of the Continuum now. Forest for the trees [i]is[/i] the right metaphor.

edit--Protip: Feanor, Crymson et al., you might want to avoid this forum in August.

Edited by Schattenmann