A most auspicious occasion

Moridin

The misinformation in these two posts ironically shows exactly why we remind the world of the Vox Populi.

[quote name='AAAAAAAAAAGGGG' timestamp='1306083034' post='2716622']
Here's the thing: what you guys did was pretty cool. The problem is, is that since then, none of the ex-Vox have done anything relevant, instead each time the anniversary of either the forming or disbanding of Vox comes up you talk about the good ol' times and how awesome you were and how you changed everything. Now I'm all for celebrating birthdays and stuff, but we've heard about your accomplishments time and time again; no one really likes an excessive bragger.
[/quote]
You forget that 5/11 of the original 11 deleted their nations 2 weeks before the formation of Vox Populi. They were done with Planet Bob and came back to screw around with the aggressors in the noCB War for giggles. When our message was embraced by upwards of 300 people, some of the original 11 stuck around and turned Vox into an organization to be longer-lived, but never permanent. As people who left with no intentions of comign back, it is not a surprise or a fault that when the charter of Vox was suspended, they left again.
As for bragging, you'll find none. We remind the world what was done so that the world does not forget what is required of it, the charge given to everyone who ever joined, or anyone who ever quietly cheered us on, on the occassion of our dispersal:
[quote name='Doitzel' timestamp='1242858637' post='1543237']
There is much to say -- much that could be said, and much that should not. Our journey to this point has been a long one and the wisdom to discern such is one of the many gifts that have reached us. So for the sake of concision, we will spare you some (you're still in for a wall, though, so grab a chair). The trek has tired us greatly and hereafter we wish, as we always have, to simply move on. No terms, no stipulations, no grudges.

Move on to where, to what? Those are the obvious questions. On to a world where a man can speak his mind without having to fear for his livelihood. On to a world where honest and frank discussion is treasured rather than trashed. On to a world where basic political opposition is not considered the most damnable of crimes, and where "security" is not held above humanity. On to a world where the future is uncertain but bright, where no single power operates unchecked. On to a world we have sweat blood to forge.

. . .

To the world at large, we give warning. This is not the end of the struggle, for the struggle which Vox Populi has embraced is unending. It is a struggle against those who would take what is not theirs, those who would take advantage of all situations, those who seek nothing but personal gain without heed to the needs, thoughts, feelings, and well-being of others. It is a struggle against the purest form of practicality and pragmatism, which drives man to covet without any attention to morality, justice, or fairness. It is a struggle that shall end only when our kind are wiped from the planet for it is something we are all capable of.

And that is our warning. Do not relax your guard against this mentality. Do not dismiss the possibility of its creeping up and overtaking yourself or those close to you. To fall victim to the idea that the ends always justify the means where the means is your own self-promotion is something that comes easy and silently, but seldom can be snuffed out. Maintain your watch, keep in check those of this mindset, and prepare yourself always for a time when we must again take arms against such a threat -- for that is what it is. It is a threat to all of us, each and every one, and wherever this philosophy takes root so takes root a danger for all that we hold dear, in our own ways, to be cast down at our feet.

This victory is not permanent, and those who fight not would do well to keep that in mind. Divisions are unavoidable, but remember that we are only as strong united as we are weak divided. Do not again allow ambitious powers to slowly pick off opposition, one-by-one, and hoodwink you into conceding. Stand your ground always, tall and true to your ideals. Never, ever, ever give in, for as long as there is one other by your side you shall have purpose. Remember always when you took on the forces of oppression and let the strength of that memory spur you on. We may forgive, but we should never forget. And should the time come that men cannot speak their dissent, should the time come that alliances' sovereignty is revoked, should the time come that communities are destroyed or repressed let those of noble spirit rise again to spearhead another Glorious Revolution against the darkness that engulfs them.

Until then, let us hope that day does not come. [b]Even more, let us work to ensure that it does not [/b]. . . [/quote]

On day one, Vox Populi were 11 men who had a luxury that thousands of others did not: Nothing left to lose. By week's end, they were hundreds of rulers with a lot to lose, but no stomach to keep it if it meant one more day on bended knee. Our enemies threw every mischaracterization possible at us to try to stem the tide of our growth: that we wanted to rule the world, that were were on a suicide run and trying to take innocents with us, that we were mad, that we would destroy everything. But the goal was always simple: To open eyes, and then walk away.
[quote name='Johnny Apocalypse' timestamp='1306083420' post='2716627']
You misunderstand, my issue is with these burnt out revolutionaries complaining about the state of the world and blaming everyone else for what it has become. Instead of actively doing something to try and change things they continue to relive their glory days with their former comrades in one big backslapping orgy.

Good revolutionaries always move forward, they do not live in the past.
[/quote]
Even if poorly, we did more than you. And when we were done, we left things to you, and you quickly moved to replace what was destroyed--unimaginative juveniles unable to create something new, only wild-eyed at the prospects of playing NPO dressup. We were not architects of the world to come, only the dynamite that cleared the way. If you have managed the parcel poorly, we bought the right to complain with 9 months of work, blood, and sweat. We took our revolution to its ends, and we are its curators now.

And, really, JA, show me the "backslapping orgy." There are what, 5 replies from actual Vox members in this thread. If you don't like our annual Vox Legion barbeques, then do [i]something about it[/i].

The bottom line is that anyone that thinks Vox was about ego or that these threads are about ego never understood us and likely never will, and that's alright, but don't turn your ignorance into baseless insults. It was silly for Vladimir to write a 4-page analysis of Vox 48 hours after it was created and get everything wrong, and it's silly to get things just as wrong with the benefit of our reality behind us.

[quote name='Chief Savage Man' timestamp='1306099296' post='2716719']
It's been quite a long time since Vox closed its doors and I think its time that the unsung heroes of Vox Populi get their congratulations. While the overt wing of Vox Populi were lauded many times over, here are those brave members of Vox Populi's covert wing who risked their nations to provide our glorious revolution with information that helped bring down the Hegemony:
Your sacrifices were not forgotten, friends.
[/quote]

They have never been addressed by name because it has always been neccessary to protect their identities, even now, but they were never forgot
[quote name='Doitzel' timestamp='1242858637' post='1543237']
To those who have supported us in the shadows, risking everything even if they have not given it, we must express our eternal gratitude, passing us the vital information that became our weapons of war. You were the fuel for our engine and without your assistance we would not be where we are today, and you have done so without recognition or thanks. This is not right, and we honour you above all for your continued dedication to transforming our vision into reality.[/quote]
Besides, it's hard to compile a thank you list when there is no definitive list.

Edited by Schattenmann

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Crymson' timestamp='1306094384' post='2716689']
I'm sure thinking so makes you feel important. And I bet that's also the reason you stick around despite your claim that you have "done everything."
[/quote]
Oh grow up. I drop by when people PM me and because it causes you great personal grief.

Besides, I [i]am[/i] important.

[quote name='Schattenmann' timestamp='1306124591' post='2716896']
Even if poorly, we did more than you. And when we were done, we left things to you, and you quickly moved to replace what was destroyed--unimaginative juveniles unable to create something new, only wild-eyed at the prospects of playing NPO dressup. We were not architects of the world to come, only the dynamite that cleared the way. If you have managed the parcel poorly, we bought the right to complain with 9 months of work, blood, and sweat. We took our revolution to its ends, and we are its curators now.

And, really, JA, show me the "backslapping orgy." There are what, 5 replies from actual Vox members in this thread. If you don't like our annual Vox Legion barbeques, then do [i]something about it[/i].

The bottom line is that anyone that thinks Vox was about ego or that these threads are about ego never understood us and likely never will, and that's alright, but don't turn your ignorance into baseless insults. It was silly for Vladimir to write a 4-page analysis of Vox 48 hours after it was created and get everything wrong, and it's silly to get things just as wrong with the benefit of our reality behind us.
[/quote]

I didn't replace anything. I did what I always did back then, I watched the world turn from my MFO cave occasionally poking my head out to say something. I was never a competent poltiician/revolutionary back then, and I would've been a fool to try. So I watched your revolution instead (considering it was televised and everything) but unfortunately the TV is broken now and I'm getting a bit sick of all this white noise and static so I'm resorting to yelling enviously over the fence at crusty old war vets. I know you can't fix the TV anymore than I can but what else is there to do?

And when I said backslapping orgy I was expecting the thread to become busier than this. I guess the rest of Vox are moving forward while we're still stuck on the damn treadmill.

[quote name='Johnny Apocalypse' timestamp='1306152910' post='2716970']
And when I said backslapping orgy I was expecting the thread to become busier than this. I guess the rest of Vox are moving forward while we're still stuck on the damn treadmill.
[/quote]
That's just it, Johnny, I'm doing exactly what I want to do, and I'm able to do it because of the work I put in and the friends I made.

[quote]There's a certain wry humor, a....... an air of schadenfreude when I see people argue that because there are 4 (or is it 5, now?) blocs all absolutely aligned to each other instead of just one that there is no equivalent of the Continuum now. Forest for the trees is the right metaphor.[/quote]
It's not that there are several blocs where there weren't before (remember Continuum, One Vision, BLEU, Ring Cycle, Citadel etc?), but that the current power structure does not have the absolute control that the Hegemony did back then, and it does not have the record of abuse that the Hegemony did at the point when Vox felt it necessary to form.

[quote name='Doitzel' timestamp='1306151849' post='2716968']
Oh grow up. I drop by when people PM me and because it causes you great personal grief.

Besides, I [i]am[/i] important.
[/quote]

Alright, let's see... you've been in government in a couple of alliances, and you've been one of the leaders of an alliance that took credit for causing events that it had had, at most, a relatively minor impact in bringing about.

I still laugh when I think back to your head-shakingly silly content in Vox's disbandment thread. You said something along the lines of having set out to bring down the then-current power structure, "... and we succeeded!!!" As if. The Continuum declined because the victory of the Coalition over Polaris & friends in the WotC ended most of what cohesion and unity of purpose the bloc had, because the NPO had infuriated and generally disenchanted many member alliances with its actions in the lead-up to that war, and because the NPO made too many enemies of allies of bloc members. The Hegemony fell because the NPO had made enemies of too many alliances, and because the NPO made a bad decision and started a horribly ill-advised war and dragged its allies into that war. Vox may have been a unique idea and a unique alliance in what it was and what it tried to do, but the net effect it had was not big. It simply made you feel important to believe otherwise (and it still makes you feel important). Ever since the end of your time in Pacifican government ended, you'd been craving that sense of importance.

Well, think what you want.

Edited by Crymson

[quote name='Crymson' timestamp='1306201279' post='2717200']
Ever since the end of your time in Pacifican government ended, you'd been craving that sense of importance.
[/quote]
Haha, this sort of built up to a crescendo of dumb climaxing with that statement. Doitzel was out of NPO gov for, what, 2 weeks from de Profundis and his I-quit-you're-fired moment to the formation of Vox. Yeah, he was[i] dying [/i]after those 14 days.

[quote name='Schattenmann' timestamp='1306204640' post='2717233']
Haha, this sort of built up to a crescendo of dumb climaxing with that statement. Doitzel was out of NPO gov for, what, 2 weeks from de Profundis and his I-quit-you're-fired moment to the formation of Vox. Yeah, he was[i] dying [/i]after those 14 days.
[/quote]

Yeah, because he definitely became a figure of significance the second Vox popped up. Good thinking (again, sarcasm).

And ah, yes, the typical refusal to accept the facts. It's unsurprising that this was the only thing you addressed, but then any suggestion that Vox wasn't a major mover seems to be threatening to many of you ex-Vox types. For many of you, any discussion of the subject ends with something along the lines of petulant and insistent screaming of, "I'm not going to listen to anything you say! We did momentous things!"

Edited by Crymson

[quote name='Crymson' timestamp='1306210312' post='2717282']
And ah, yes, the typical refusal to accept the facts. It's unsurprising that this was the only thing you addressed,[/quote]
I already addressed the rest of your derp in replies to other posts in this thread and also through all reality and recorded history.