A Dilettante into Politics

DictatatorDan

[center][size="6"]From the Desk of His Unforgiveness, High Prophet Dicta[i]ta[/i]torDan[/size]

[img]http://www.allaccessmagazine.com/vol6/issue09/photos/katy_perry_01.jpg[/img]
[size="5"]A Dispatch from the High Priest of Malfeasance and Grand Arbiter of Treachery[/size][/center]

[b]Pacifica[/b]

So everyone has it figured out? We are at war because of reasons x,y,and z. Well I am here to reiterate the obvious as I usually do. This is actually a combination of a conversation that took place in the CoJ embassy, and some re-editing I did tonight to piece things together. It's not in red. Don't get used to it.

Maybe I should just discard the metaphor for simplicities sake. Politically speaking, NPO is in a glass house. The conclusion of NPO's terms did not end in the creation of a blank slate that they hoped it would create for them; many still hold a negative opinion of Pacifica based on not only for what they have done, but the way they characterize themselves. Mainly by the manifestations of arrogance that make up their mannerisms, and the constant and unending victimization of themselves ever since Karma.

When they came out of terms, they immediately signed treaties with a grouping of alliances that are relatively disconnected from the treaty web, and were in reality nothing more than a few remnants of the old Hegemony for the most part that was still ostracized amongst most of the community. Some alliances that are on NPO's wiki as treaty partners are simply awful at playing the game. Notably, Legion is constantly plagued by ongoing internal disputes that sometimes boil over into the OWF, and is objectively terrible at nation building. NSO is only known because of how antagonistic they try to be as a collective group on the forums, but lacks any pixels. However they were easy to organize into a pan-Pacifica collective.

In the past however many months since the end of terms, NPO has set itself up in direct opposition as to what it sees as the unipolar super-bloc in first CnG-SF, and later in PB-SF-CnG with no objective reasoning. All the while doing so, they only took token steps at smoothing over some of their earlier actions. Instead, the public face of NPO on the OWF has been that of an NPO that was not humbled by Karma, and carry themselves with the same level of arrogance as the old NPO. The way in which Pacificas leaders carry themselves in offsite forums rubbed a lot in a very bad way. An inability to discard IC persona's and rhetoric makes for very bad reconciliation, and their fate was directly tied to their ability to mend fences. If you read mpols post on the OWF, you know what I am talking about.

NPO didn't come out with an agenda standing against aspects of the predominant power-collectives. Instead, they came out against the powers themselves for no substantive reasoning. Coupled with their failure to mend fences and the constant vituperative statements that we have seen on the Open World Forum, as well as what has transpired in private provides quite an impetus for DH's actions. The bad thing about Pacifica, is that it was not an immediate disillusionment, but a gradual one. Early complaints about the so called "Red Raiding Safari" did indeed gain Pacifica a little sympathy, however any gains were promptly squandered.

A lot of alliances within the "Not Pacifica" (PB-CnG-SF) grouping do not always see eye to eye. It more or less functions as a loose confederation, and not nearly as rigidly as Continuum. An example of this would be that RoK (an SF member) is fighting PC (a PB member). However, the rhetoric that NPO put forth, mainly that everyone not NPO or connected to them was part of a "bad" side and the implications that every alliances foreign policy was meant to subvert their attempt at regaining power. By doing so, they immediately shrank down the number of alliances that would be willing to give them a chance, and polarized the rest of the world.

NPO has not taken any specific actions to warrant anyone declaring on them. However, there is no such thing as a valid CB, at least as far as the other side is concerned. When alliances have the political capital, its up to them how they decide to spend it. You could read into whatever was put up as a CB, but at the end of the day it is just a measure to save face. Doomhouse has decided to use their capital to destroy NPO, just as NpO used theirs to destroy TOP.

That is not to say I condone their actions. Its defiantly not the same move I would take if I was the leader of any alliance. However, I do not condemn them either. I recognize that DH has overtly valid CB on NPO, but also NPO has played a large part on setting itself up to fail. The validity of a CB is only relevant to the side the alliance that acts on it. It is very rare, almost unheard of, for the defenders to condone a CB, unless alternative reasoning comes into play. Almost all CB's are manufactured for the sake of saving face, and provide an air of legitimacy to the conflict.
DH rolled NPO because NPO are my idols. DH are dicks...dicks $%&@ my idols. Team Doomhouse $%&@ Yeah!

Unlike many I don't have a need to wrap up my agenda, whatever it may be, in a cloak of moralism and justice to be of the opinion that action is warranted. I do not view this war as "thuggery" on a large scale. In schoolyard metaphors, I see it as more or less a conventional fight, a rematch if you will. Both sides talk trash and refuse to back down, and one side finally decides to take a risk and throw the first punch. DH threw the first punch and knocked NPO flat on it's ass. That's just the way the world turns.

However let's look at the VE-NpO front.

[b]Polaris[/b]

In this case, we have an actual action the precipitated a declaration of war. Namely that NpO's Regent Dajobo was caught encouraging spying, and receiving information that was dubiously acquired. (Although the exchange of information was set up by Impero to validate the earlier premise that Dajobo was willing to go a long with Lennox)

VE declared war on NpO because Dajobo condoned Lennox infiltrating VE and spying on them. Even if it was "for the lulz", it is still not acceptable conduct for the second in command of an alliance. When I heard what was going on before the war, I knew at a glance what the situation was. Dajobo, or anyone in NpO for that matter, would not be stupid enough to actually have someone spy on another alliance. It is simply too risky for the little to no results that it achieves. However, I also called the fact that Lennox played him based on the actions NpO took in regards to NSO in the BiPolar War. *DD pats himself on back*

Unlike Pacifica, The cause of Polaris's dissonance has a large part in handling the last war they fought in, where they rather transparently screwed TOP and the entire coalition that sided with Polaris over such dubious distinctions as "community standards" that were violated by \m/. (The reality of it was that NpO hated \m/ and Grub was willing to act on that). The constant display of "head in the sand" syndrome by many within Polaris as to the actions that were carried out has served to grossly jade the opinion of many outside Polaris's realm.

Under Penguins leadership, Polaris did a more amicable job of trying to repair the damage done than Pacifica. However with the appointment of Random Interrupt as Emperor, it is my understanding that any of this progress has regressed significantly, and that any desire to improve relations with PB alliances was pretty much abandoned. However this last part is pure speculation.

The decision on whether or not to declare war was in large part influenced on the way they interact with the other power-spheres, which is to say very abrasively. Impero was not at all sympathetic with Dajobo's reasoning, due to the overall feeling of distrust and contempt that VE and the world at large share for Polaris. That is why there could have been more done diplomatically, but it was not necessarily warranted given the equal amount of distaste towards each other that both alliances share.

*Insert Obligatory Polaris Insult Here*

Edited by DictatatorDan

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*They didn't try buddy up to us, they need to get rolled*

Sorry, don't buy that.

Edit: I realise more was said, and I agree with most of them. I disagree with the point that for some reason, the Orders need to buddy up to the rest of the treaty web. What they do FA-wise is their own business, and doesn't warrant any form of attack.

Edited by R3nowned

This is so blatantly wrong I'm not even going to give it the privilege of a response outside this post. As Partisan of content as you can get. A total waste of my life. I would like the few minutes I took to skim your wall of text back. You need to be SOMEWHAT accurate to get any respect.

On the other hand if you just wanted to sound like some namby pamby doom house cheerleader.. you need a miniskirt and pom poms to complete your garb. Given who you are this is completely plausible.. that said.. if you submit an image of Dictator Dan in said garb, I will give you certification as the official DH cheerleader/mascot.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

[quote]Maybe I should just discard the metaphor for simplicities sake. Politically speaking, NPO is in a glass house. The conclusion of NPO's terms did not end in the creation of a blank slate that they hoped it would create for them; many still hold a negative opinion of Pacifica based on not only for what they have done, but the way they characterize themselves. Mainly by the manifestations of arrogance that make up their mannerisms, and the constant and unending victimization of themselves ever since Karma. [/quote]

Oh heaven forfend that Digiterra should permit multiculturalism! And isn't "victimization of themselves" one of those convenient political terms of depersonalization?

No analysis of Polar-VE is complete until you mention the stunt blues.

Also, I love the premise given by some in this thread that you can treat others with disrespect and expect them to not want to attack you.

Edited by Antoine Roquentin

[quote name='Kalasin' timestamp='1298617779' post='2644559']
About as profound and insightful as self-motivational cassette tapes.
[/quote]
Sometimes truth is simple.

oh, and on another subject.What do you think what's with all the ad hominems around here again?

I must say, I am pleasantly surprised at the quality of the OP.

Regarding: [quote]and that any desire to improve relations with PB alliances was pretty much abandoned[/quote]

I can confirm this. Indeed, on the contrary they empowered their puppet states like UPN and TKTB to harass us.

[quote name='Solaris' timestamp='1298649962' post='2644772']
[snip]what's with all the ad hominems around here again?
[/quote]

It's the OWF. Pretty much par for the course.

Now, I don't think we really need another thread talking about the merits of the wars. Neither side is going to budge from their viewpoint, the people who were in the middle and hadn't made up their mind either a) still haven't made up their mind and more argument won't convince them or b) stopped paying attention 2 weeks ago. The wars started. The wars are going on now. The wars will continue until the involved parties get what they want or get bored enough to agree to stop.

How the $%&@ can the victim be responsible for the aggressor's actions?

Especially with your reasoning. It's [i]Pacifica's fault[/i] for not reaching out, but not the other side. It's [i]Pacifica's fault[/i] for the dialogue on the OWF, but not the other side. [i]Pacifica[/i] caused all of its enemies' actions, but not the other side.

Never has a war with not even an illusion of a casus belli been defended so strongly.

Go ahead and roll whoever you want, but when people are sitting here trying to spin this as "good" are just being outrageous. I'd prefer not to have people that are fair, consistent, and upright not be reduced to the same level of the people that don't even take the effort. Maybe we should just all be jackasses then.

Edited by 2burnt2eat

[quote name='2burnt2eat' timestamp='1298669918' post='2644953']
How the $%&@ can the victim be responsible for the aggressor's actions?

Especially with your reasoning. It's [i]Pacifica's fault[/i] for not reaching out, but not the other side. It's [i]Pacifica's fault[/i] for the dialogue on the OWF, but not the other side. [i]Pacifica[/i] caused all of its enemies' actions, but not the other side.

Never has a war with not even an illusion of a casus belli been defended so strongly.

Go ahead and roll whoever you want, but when people are sitting here trying to spin this as "good" are just being outrageous. I'd prefer not to have people that are fair, consistent, and upright not be reduced to the same level of the people that don't even take the effort. Maybe we should just all be jackasses then.
[/quote]

I think the point is that NPO did not make a dynamic shift into a new form following Karma. They were the same alliance, merely in the background and not dictating foreign conflicts anymore. In other words, they should have learned something from Karma and tried to radically changed themselves. Seek completely new allies and integrate themselves into a new world. But hey, maybe no one gave them a chance. Or maybe they didn't try. Either way, they didn't do enough to keep them out of Karma part deux. Cause let's be honest NPO was very arrogant in the past and plenty of people wanted to see them hurt again, and they didn't endear themselves to stop it.

I think NpO is a different case. As in they are simply getting a good beatdown. There are many who want revenge on them as well, but not all of them are actually fighting NpO.

Edited by DogeWilliam

[quote name='Antoine Roquentin' timestamp='1298622316' post='2644587']
Also, I love the premise given by some in this thread that you can treat others with disrespect and expect them to not want to attack you.
[/quote]
Perhaps if your allies weren't antagonising them so much, they wouldn't have been so disrespectful to you? Just a thought.