War and Consequence

Vladimir

[center][img]http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/9413/wastelandy.jpg[/img][/center]

This article is best read while listening to [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nepiscxfeY"]this monologue by a forgotten hero[/url].

To regular readers of [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=104"][i]La Vanguardia Pacifica[/i][/url] the recent attacks on the New Pacific Order will come as no surprise. The modern hegemony has tried for two years to force a pseudo-legitimate reason to attack the Order, and after two years of abject failure they have now given up all pretence and attacked for the explicit reason, as noted in their imaginatively titled "everything must die" declaration, of killing what they see as a potential rival (simultaneously making a mockery of everything they said about us and themselves during that time period). But similarly, neither would a regular reader have been surprised by the manufactured war declared against the New Polar Order a few days ago, as Emperor Random Interrupt brought Polaris out of its slump. What we see here, therefore, is little more than pre-emptive strikes on potential political opposition before it can ever actually become political opposition. And this leaves us with some extremely worrying conclusions to draw.

The first conclusion is in what exactly has happened -- the attacks on potential political opposition. While some have tried to make the divine claim to war being 'interesting' or 'exciting', in doing so they fail to see beyond their own noses -- or, in this case, a couple of weeks. This war, if the aggressors emerge victorious, will paradoxically usher in an era where a single entity commands unchallenged and unchallengeable political domination; a situation which can only lead to widespread stagnation, strangling the political lifeblood that sustains our world.

But it is this tied with the second conclusion -- the way the attacks occurred -- that should create real concern within any free-thinking Bobian denizen. The real power of a political hegemony is to set political precedent. Unfortunately the precedent here is to tear down all rule of law and security for non-hegemonic alliances. Whereas in previous eras an alliance could consider itself relatively safe from attack so long as it did not commit a militarily aggressive act, even if it was in political disagreement with the hegemonic power, the precedent being set today means that anyone saying anything deemed to be slightly out of line, or not even doing that, could be destroyed on a whim. Gone would be the days of delicate political manoeuvre and intrigue, entering would be the tedious grind of apolitical absolutism. No longer could you argue a justification for war, or organise a counter-weight to the powerful, for everything outside of the smallest of political cliques would be deemed sport for the entitled few, and no justification would care enough to go beyond 'because we can'.

So this is not a rejuvenation of Planet Bob, far from it: if the Mushroom Kingdom et al emerge victorious then it is Bob's death rattle. The politics that drew nations here in the tens of thousands would be dead, the frequent challenges to power would cease to be, and what little remained would wither and die. It is no longer an intriguing fight for the power of one alliance over another as we have seen in previous great wars, but rather it is a fight for the survival of us all. In this way the Mushroom Kingdom et al are fighting not only for the death of the New Pacific Order, but for the deaths of themselves and every other alliance regardless of political affiliation.

Consequently this war cannot be seen as being one alliance against another, but rather it must be seen as a war between those who want to survive, and those who do not: those who want Planet Bob to go on for years to come, and those who want it to end. If you think that you can avoid this war or its consequences, you are wrong. If you aren't ready to stand up and fight for survival then you are already dead.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vladimir gets it right, laziness and ****ty attitudes killed the one thing CN ever had going for it. Without anything that looks like politics the game is basically Halo 3 but with technology from 25 years ago. This game is done and I'm glad I don't give a **** anymore because if I did I'd be really depressed.

Edited by Bakunin's Dream

This monologue means very little, coming as it does from a high-ranking member of an alliance that is, by nature, willing to step on allies and without hesitation bully, arm-twist and crush other alliances for no other real reason than staying the dominant alliance in the game.

Fortunately, most of those of us who aren't totally naive are well aware of how the NPO functions. We all appreciate your oratory skills, Vlad, but what you write doesn't hold much water, and has grown more and more trite over the years. In the end, too, it simply hasn't fit since the NPO was removed from its position of power.

Edited by Crymson

[quote name='Bakunin's Dream' timestamp='1295936555' post='2599152']
Vladimir gets it right, laziness and ****ty attitudes killed the one thing CN ever had going for it. Without anything that looks like politics the game is basically Halo 3 but with technology from 25 years ago. This game is done and I'm glad I don't give a **** anymore because if I did I'd be really depressed.
[/quote]
The world needs two clear opposing forces to function well...the lack of that has brought this. May not all be done yet, but something drastic is needed to pull out the last minute save.

While i agree with most of what you said, I do not believe it will be the end of the game if MK wins. Yes this sets up a new precedent where the powers that be can attack whomever they wish. But the powers that be will turn against one another and wars will continue as always. It may not be the "graceful" backdoor politicking during the reign of the New Pacific Order, but there will be bloody wars for power. Sooner or later Archon will meet his match, and will fall just as the New Pacific Order did in Karma.

However, we must do everything we can to not let this happen. The backdoor politics adds a huge twist into the game, where its about how wise you are when it comes to your decisions, and how well you are able to convince others.Its not just about the power that you wield, its about how you wield it when dealing with allies and allies of allies.

To define the next generation of cybernations, this war will rage for months to come. All will burn, and then once the dust finally settles, all will be rebuilt.

[quote name='bigwoody' timestamp='1295936480' post='2599145']
You may be fully right, but past actions make you (and Polar even moreso) too hard to trust, nevermind go to the mat for.

But at least there will be good propaganda now.
[/quote]

It will be them today, but I can assure you that it will be you tomorrow.

Edited by The MVP

[quote name='The MVP' timestamp='1295938307' post='2599297']
It will be them today, but I can assure you that it will be you tomorrow.
[/quote]
They made their own bed though with what took place last war. If not for that, we aren't in this situation right now.

As for us, let us worry about us.

[quote name='Guffey' timestamp='1295937181' post='2599215']
While i agree with most of what you said, I do not believe it will be the end of the game if MK wins. Yes this sets up a new precedent where the powers that be can attack whomever they wish. But the powers that be will turn against one another and wars will continue as always. It may not be the "graceful" backdoor politicking during the reign of the New Pacific Order, but there will be bloody wars for power. Sooner or later Archon will meet his match, and will fall just as the New Pacific Order did in Karma.

However, we must do everything we can to not let this happen. The backdoor politics adds a huge twist into the game, where its about how wise you are when it comes to your decisions, and how well you are able to convince others.Its not just about the power that you wield, its about how you wield it when dealing with allies and allies of allies.

To define the next generation of cybernations, this war will rage for months to come. All will burn, and then once the dust finally settles, all will be rebuilt.
[/quote]
From the bile I've seen, it's hard to think [i]all[/i] will be rebuilt.

[quote name='bigwoody' timestamp='1295938400' post='2599304']
They made their own bed though with what took place last war. If not for that, we aren't in this situation right now.

As for us, let us worry about us.
[/quote]

We all know who's going to be next, goddamn bigwoody, do you really want it to go down like this? Well, I understand your hurt I truly do, however I think you know what and more importantly who comes next. You can either make the stand now or later, if you opt for later well.. good luck my friend.

Edited by The MVP

[quote name='Guffey' timestamp='1295937181' post='2599215']

[/quote]
That's quite an optimistic approach seeing as if the world does burn with the already declining nation count prior to this war, it will be fairly interesting to see how BOB* will live in the years of abject stagnation to come (assuming a similar hold to what we once had) if the Politics that drive our world does diminish
Anyways, cheers should be fun

Edited by Elendil

[quote name='The MVP' timestamp='1295938547' post='2599314']
We all know who's going to be next, goddamn bigwoody, do you really want it to go down like this? Well, I understand your hurt I truly do, however I think you know what and more importantly who comes next. You can either make the stand now or later, if you opt for later well.. good luck my friend.
[/quote]
At one point I explained to Polar why their previous actions had lost them this war. Defending them is too hard to stomach. Nevermind Pacific after its year+ smear campaign.

[quote name='bigwoody' timestamp='1295938734' post='2599325']
At one point I explained to Polar why their previous actions had lost them this war. Defending them is too hard to stomach. Nevermind Pacific after its year+ smear campaign.
[/quote]

This is not for them, this is for us. We all know what will come after this. Even if you can't stomach, can't you understand? I've been a big antagonist of the Orders as any but what's about to head our way can't be stopped if we're so divided.

I can see you seem adamant about your decision, so like I've said good luck. And I genuinely mean that.

[color="#0000FF"]This is ridiculous.

OOC: Honestly, how many times has people said CN is dead? When NPO was on top after the Great War era, before then even, people were calling CN's death. When the UjP got stomped, they said it was game over. When the Vox movement began, people again called CN's death. When MK, CnG, and the future PB alliances secured a victory in BiPolar, people said it was the end then. Now we have this, from the same alliance that has constantly criticized others for claiming the game is about to die.

I have news for you all. It won't. I'm sure you'll hate losing a war, and probable reps, again and for no real reason, but it's not the end. Take it from someone who hasn't won anything in years. This is a dynamic game. The ex-Heg side still exists after all it's been through, as does NpO's little corner. Both sides will survive this is some form. With both sides out of the way, PB/MK and SF/Duckroll will growl at each other, and one of them will get rolled. Probably just Duckroll. By then the spheres of both Orders will have recovered, and with the addition of dissatisfied alliances from the other side, will be able to topple MK. It may not work out exactly like that, but probably close enough.

It has always taken multiple wars to topple a hegemony. UjW didn't kill the Orders. noCB certainly contributed. And Karma was it. Another big war after this and the world will have a new leader, but it's not the end for CN. The game has been more exciting in this past week than it has been for awhile. The political realignments that will come after this are also sure to be exciting.

In short, get over it. If losing a war meant the end of everything many of us would have quit a long time ago.

Also, this isn't the end of politics. It's a preemptive strike. It's valid.[/color]

Edited by Rebel Virginia

[color="#0000FF"]Again, NPO, although I kind of like you guys now, get over it and fight. Stop this complaining. It is unbecoming even for you.[/color]

[quote name='AlmightyGrub' timestamp='1295939498' post='2599370']
I disagree RV, I think they actually don't care anymore.

The roof is on fire. We don't need no water.
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]OOC: And if attacking alliances without reason is their motif, don't count on them sticking in power soon enough. While that could be true for some alliances involved in this, it certainly is not true for them all. The vast majority of them at least. They'll get sick of their stupidity soon enough of they keep it up. It'll serve as motivation for many to take them down a few notches, if they don't have the reason to right now anyway. Forgive me if I'm skeptical when people are calling CN's death. I've just heard it so many times now that I just can't really buy into it.[/color]

Edited by Rebel Virginia

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' timestamp='1295939728' post='2599382']
[color="#0000FF"]OOC: And if attacking alliances without reason is their motif, don't count on them sticking in power soon enough. While that could be true for some alliances involved in this, it certainly is not true for them all. The vast majority of them at least. They'll get sick of their stupidity soon enough of they keep it up. It'll serve as motivation for many to take them down a few notches, if they don't have the reason to right now anyway. Forgive me if I'm skeptical when people are calling CN's death. I've just heard it so many times now that I just can't really buy into it.[/color]
[/quote]

OOC: ADHD kiddies have always bothered me RV. I hate them all on several levels and always have. I am glad people will now get to see what happens when the lunatics take over the asylum.

IC: I only have one regret in the whole time I have been here. Supporting the return of social retards to this world was a mistake.

[quote name='AlmightyGrub' timestamp='1295940252' post='2599411']
OOC: ADHD kiddies have always bothered me RV. I hate them all on several levels and always have. I am glad people will now get to see what happens when the lunatics take over the asylum.

IC: I only have one regret in the whole time I have been here. Supporting the return of social retards to this world was a mistake.
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]OOC: I agree completely, but I'm not convinced it's the end. Their type can't last much longer.

IC: I agree completely. It was a mistake utilizing their help.[/color]

The problem with your spiel is the underlying premise that you are being assaulted by a hegemonic force; you are not. SF/C&G axis had hegemonic potential as long as they maintained the balance between the SF periphery and the C&G periphery. They passed on the chance to consolidate that balance by never forming a bloc the equivalent of the Continuum before them. Credit to them for staying true to the purpose of the Karma war (forming a competitive environment). Double credit to them for solidifying the SF periphery into PB, and triple credit to MK for breaking ties to the C&G periphery and allowing the Polar sphere to drift away. What you are being attacked by is the best of what the old potential hegemony has to offer, and yeah you'll lose, but no you are not getting stomped and yes you do have a fighting chance; these guys are not school yard bullies. MK, Umbrella and GOONS are continuing to make the moves necessary to facilitate a competitive and vibrant environment, exactly in the tradition of Karma.

By no means will this world end if Doom House wins, quite the opposite actually.

Edit: took out a ooc reference

Edited by eyriq

[quote name='eyriq' timestamp='1295941003' post='2599458']
The problem with your spiel is the underlying premise that you are being assaulted by a hegemonic force; you are not. SF/C&G axis had hegemonic potential as long as they maintained the balance between the SF periphery and the C&G periphery. They passed on the chance to consolidate that balance by never forming a bloc the equivalent of the Continuum before them. Credit to them for staying true to the purpose of the Karma war (forming a competitive environment). Double credit to them for solidifying the SF periphery into PB, and triple credit to MK for breaking ties to the C&G periphery and allowing the Polar sphere to drift away. What you are being attacked by is the best of what the old potential hegemony has to offer, and yeah you'll lose, but no you are not getting stomped and yes you do have a fighting chance; these guys are not school yard bullies. MK, Umbrella and GOONS are continuing to make the moves necessary to facilitate a competitive and vibrant environment, exactly in the tradition of Karma.

By no means will this world end if Doom House wins, quite the opposite actually.

Edit: took out a ooc reference
[/quote]

Here's some irony..I think that you may find many people who actually saw that there were still actual ties, even when Pandora's Box formed. Acting in near lock-step doesn't help (trust me on this).

Remember, there were two blocs at the top of the roost pre-Karma (well, at least pre-War of the Coalition): the Continuum and One Vision. Neither were exactly seen as nice by the forces that would make up Karma. They did have one common overt link, but in the day where many of the in-crowd profess the joy of not having actual treaties ...

Edit: curse you, absolutist language..

Edited by Qaianna

I find it amusing to see to see you saying all this Vladimir, it contradicts your other essays about power spheres.

Our "hegemony" allows for far more dissent. People don't fear that we will kick in their door if one of their members criticizes us, like in the past. We don't EZI anyone for opposing us. We don't impose viceroys or forced disbandments.

You attacked people for contrived CBs. Many people have been calling for a more "honest" CB, one that says that "we don't like you". Well, here it is, and everyone is still complaining.

This war will be a lot closer than the curbstomps from when NPO was in power.

[quote name='Azaghul' timestamp='1295943614' post='2599576']
I find it amusing to see to see you saying all this Vladimir, it contradicts your other essays about power spheres.

Our "hegemony" allows for far more dissent. People don't fear that we will kick in their door if one of their members criticizes us, like in the past. We don't EZI anyone for opposing us. We don't impose viceroys or forced disbandments.

You attacked people for contrived CBs. Many people have been calling for a more "honest" CB, one that says that "we don't like you". Well, here it is, and everyone is still complaining.

This war will be a lot closer than the curbstomps from when NPO was in power.
[/quote]
Who exactly were the ones calling for people to use the 'we don't liek you' casus belli? (This is a legitimate question..)