Put this in your sig if you are down

Lennox

So recently I tried to plagiarize a sig to win the #12 competition. I was harassed and my feelings hurt. I was told not to plagiarize. All I wanted to do was win that really shiny award.

[img]http://i40.tinypic.com/29zbi94.jpg[/img]

[b]The same one that is plagiarized from another website.[/b] :smug:
[img]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj71/Anthonegro/SOTW%20Badges/sotw197-2.png[/img]

Intellectual property theft is [i]stealing[/i].

You wouldn't steal a television. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a baby. You wouldn't murder a police officer, steal his helmet and go to the toilet in it. Then mail it to his grieving widow. Then steal it again!

Though, if you run SotW, you apparently would. For shame.

:v:

Edited by WorldConqueror

[quote name='Lennox' timestamp='1280516320' post='2395244']
So recently I tried to plagiarize a sig to win the #12 competition. I was harassed and my feelings hurt. I was told not to plagiarize. All I wanted to do was win that really shiny award.

[img]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj71/Anthonegro/SOTW%20Badges/sotw197-2.png[/img]
[/quote]
There's a tutorial on the Planet Render website for making their award and they happily let me use it. :D

Also, I did put in a request for a signature of the week bar some time ago when i was a regular user on their forums and their Graphics staff basically just said: "Here's the stock we currently use for our SOTW, just give us credit." When I started using it for SOTW Bwyard and a few others were in fact informed where I got it from.

I could always make you a faux one if you needed.

[quote name='WorldConqueror' timestamp='1280521274' post='2395317']
[/quote]
Not if that property is then turned into a tutorial for everyone to use for their own means.

By the way, what was SOTW #12? Oh and if this thread was meant to slander, you did a very poor job.

Edited by Davian Thule

[quote name='Lennox' timestamp='1280516320' post='2395244']

[/quote]

Your feelings were hurt? I want to apologize then, I just thought it was hilarious that the same picture, which used to be used on this forum as a signature for somebody else, was entered, and used as stockart by scorponok.

Likewise, I had recently seen D34th's in the form of a thousand others just like it on google, so...

I dunno, I just found a chuckle in being the whistleblower.

Also, I'd never steal a car, but I'd copy one and download it if I could. Just sayin'.

haha wow... a tutorial should be used to teach the concept behind how a sig was made; otherwise it's a "step-by-step instructions on how to make this exact same graphic." I'm a little bit disappointed in the graphic now. :-/

You guys should have retained the original award bar theme, it looks much better than the one you ended up using. The bevel effect and the stroke on the "CN ART" bit is a bit jarring.

e: it may not be a bevel, maybe the stroke makes it look like there is one.

Edited by Alfred von Tirpitz

[quote name='Davian Thule' timestamp='1280533463' post='2395520']
Not if that property is then turned into a tutorial for everyone to use for their own means.

By the way, what was SOTW #12? Oh and if this thread was meant to slander, you did a very poor job.
[/quote]
Asking what SOTW #12 was is a very poor bait for a very poor 'Aha!' moment. Anyone who takes notice of the OWF knows what the current SOTW is about, and if they don't they can easily press the left mouse button once and find out.

Also, you will note that I did not create this thread, so I have no idea if it was created to slander or not. All comments, negative or otherwise, should be directed to that lovely Sith Lennox. My post was merely making fun of the whole situation through a quote from a TV show which I found funny, and of some relevance here. I really don't care what goes on with SOTW and whether you copied the award or not. However, I did see the IRC conversation where Sky attacked Lennox for plagiarism, and thought this situation was too ironically funny to miss.

[quote name='WorldConqueror' timestamp='1280608934' post='2396317']
Asking what SOTW #12 was is a very poor bait for a very poor 'Aha!' moment. Anyone who takes notice of the OWF knows what the current SOTW is about, and if they don't they can easily press the left mouse button once and find out.

Also, you will note that I did not create this thread, so I have no idea if it was created to slander or not. All comments, negative or otherwise, should be directed to that lovely Sith Lennox. My post was merely making fun of the whole situation through a quote from a TV show which I found funny, and of some relevance here. I really don't care what goes on with SOTW and whether you copied the award or not. However, I did see the IRC conversation where Sky attacked Lennox for plagiarism, and thought this situation was too ironically funny to miss.
[/quote]
Those were more pointed at Lennox, the bit about how the awards were acquired/made was for you.

The "Sig of the Week" theme and those particular pips are used on forums throughout the internet. They copy the format Planet Renders does, because a metric $%&@ton of internet graphics people use that site. Every designer I've talked to about 'Sig of the Week' know about Planet Render's Sig of the Week contest, it's quite a popular site. To use those pips on other forums is common place, it's actually encouraged. However, to rip a sig straight off Deviant Art is clearly against the OP's rules, and Deviant Art's. The pips are a homage, whereas the sig is just a direct copy.

[quote name='WorldConqueror' timestamp='1280608934' post='2396317']
However, I did see the IRC conversation where Sky attacked Lennox for plagiarism, and thought this situation was too ironically funny to miss.[/quote]
Well, for one I didn't make the ribbon, which is something that I pointed out on IRC. For two, deviant art has stricter policies on plagiarism than planet rendors does. For three, the award is not used in the competition (+ a permission was received to use the award anyways).

As to Lennox: stop feeling butthurt and at least admit it that you just copied a picture from deviant art and not make excuses such as "well my friend made it for me and I was going to give the award to him". You stated that it was YOUR entry. Everyone wants a shiny award, a shiny car, a shiny great paying job. Man up and take responsibilities for your actions.

[quote name='SinOfNemesis' timestamp='1280701740' post='2397417']
As to Lennox: stop feeling butthurt and at least admit it that you just copied a picture from deviant art and not make excuses such as "well my friend made it for me and I was going to give the award to him". You stated that it was YOUR entry. Everyone wants a shiny award, a shiny car, a shiny great paying job. Man up and take responsibilities for your actions.
[/quote]
/thread :ph34r:

[quote name='WorldConqueror' timestamp='1280521274' post='2395317']

You wouldn't steal a television. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a baby. You wouldn't murder a police officer, steal his helmet and go to the toilet in it. Then mail it to his grieving widow. Then steal it again!

Though, if you run SotW, you apparently would. For shame.

:v:
[/quote]

If I could download a new car I would. :P