RoK Forums Hacked

Van Hoo III

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Katsumi' date='28 February 2010 - 02:20 AM' timestamp='1267341823' post='2207900']
Do people actually take this game that seriously? It's a freaking game, people. <_<

That being said, I actually saw that pastebin list, and 123456789 is NOT a good password.
[/quote]

Damn. I guess my suitcase password of 1234 isn't good either

I think somebody cannot afford a big truck, or a sexy car, or the bestest prontoy so they do this !@#$.

My advice: Try chasing some tail, hell.. you might just get lucky and find one with no self-esteem.

Weak.. really weak.

On a more positive note, we'll have even sexier forums when it's all said and done.

Hail bros!!

edit: and hails Kait too.. she rules.

Edited by Valtamdraugr

[quote name='Urmom(U)' date='28 February 2010 - 03:15 AM' timestamp='1267345169' post='2207994']
You know his IP but can't do anything about him hacking?
[/quote]
It was discussed in another thread and i dont recall what became of it but someone mentioned it would be hard due to international laws

I'm really sorry to hear about the hack, and thank you for letting us know. I know most folks in UC tend to lay off the forums, but I've passed the message along just in case.

Regarding doing something about the hacker: since it sounds like he's already aware of how to use proxies, passing his IP around for other forums to ban him might not be worthwhile, BUT, contacting his ISP, even if he is in another country, seems like a worthwhile action to take (even if hacking isn't technically illegal in his country, it often IS still illegal within ISPs' TOU).

Best of luck, and I'll look forward to seeing the new digs. :)

[quote name='goldielax25' date='28 February 2010 - 08:35 AM' timestamp='1267339157' post='2207800']
Yeah, I just agreed with TBB.
[/quote]Same here, haha. :D

When laws are weak, transgressions like these evoke the anger of good people to a greater extent than normal. Sometimes, this kind of activity evokes the anger of good people capable of deeds, that in many circumstances could be regarded as bad. All in all, the type of attention seeking conducted by the culprit, is rather unwise.

Let's hope no-ones discomfort grows too much due to this incident.

[quote name='Nadreck' date='28 February 2010 - 08:28 PM' timestamp='1267345922' post='2208003']
I'm really sorry to hear about the hack, and thank you for letting us know. I know most folks in UC tend to lay off the forums, but I've passed the message along just in case.

Regarding doing something about the hacker: since it sounds like he's already aware of how to use proxies, passing his IP around for other forums to ban him might not be worthwhile, BUT, contacting his ISP, even if he is in another country, seems like a worthwhile action to take (even if hacking isn't technically illegal in his country, it often IS still illegal within ISPs' TOU).

Best of luck, and I'll look forward to seeing the new digs. :)
[/quote]
It is illegal to hack here and I have already said those with evidence of the hacking should report it to his ISP which is apparently Telecom New Zealand.

[quote name='bros2' date='28 February 2010 - 07:01 AM' timestamp='1267340702' post='2207862']
Boy craves attention.

Yes, I have multiple IPs. Many are proxies, a few are his actual IP

We know who it is
[/quote]

maybe you said elsewhere - but do you know just the IP, or the actual player too?

I can not stress how important this is to ROK.

Run a full anti-virus scan immediately then change your passwords in CN on this forum and on the new forum to something that is in no way related to your old ones.

This will hopefully detect any key-loggers currently on your system and destroy the usefulness of any passwords the hacker might already have.

Other than that I hope your new forums are nice and you have a speedy recovery from this incident.

There was a warning about updating forums on this forum. Too bad for you that you didn't upgrade when everybody announced the hackings and possible exploits here. You should have payed more attention. And as a recommendation, use vBulletin, way more secure than most forums.
I really do hope that every admin will check to see if their forums need updating.
Sorry for the problem, though!

Edited by ratonbox

Thanks for the heads up. Fortunately I only use that generic password for things that I don't particularly care about security wise. If this wise hacker could also figure out my dummy e-mail address, I suppose he could also rate movies for me at IMDB.com, or upload recipes to allrecipes.com, but that's about it.

I agree here having an email for stuff like registering on forums or anything else that may pose a security risk is perfect, all a hacker will get if he breaks into the email account I used to register here is hundreds of spam emails that I don't want cluttering up my main email account.

And there are plenty of sites that will provide a free email account.

[quote name='ratonbox' date='28 February 2010 - 05:09 AM' timestamp='1267351981' post='2208084']
There was a warning about updating forums on this forum. Too bad for you that you didn't upgrade when everybody announced the hackings and possible exploits here. You should have payed more attention. And as a recommendation, use vBulletin, way more secure than most forums.
I really do hope that every admin will check to see if their forums need updating.
[/quote]
i love people who try to pin the blame on the people who were wronged here, your turn wouldnt be so chipper if this involved you

[quote name='BraveNewWorld' date='28 February 2010 - 05:37 AM' timestamp='1267364487' post='2208212']
Thanks for the heads up. Fortunately I only use that generic password for things that I don't particularly care about security wise. If this wise hacker could also figure out my dummy e-mail address, I suppose he could also rate movies for me at IMDB.com, or upload recipes to allrecipes.com, but that's about it.
[/quote]

You rate movies? Are you as obsessive about it as I am on Flixter? :awesome:

[quote name='wickedj' date='28 February 2010 - 06:56 AM' timestamp='1267369181' post='2208280']
i love people who try to pin the blame on the people who were wronged here, your turn wouldnt be so chipper if this involved you
[/quote]

He doesn't like us much and is unable to set aside IC hatred for an OOC issue. ;)

Edited by Van Hoo III

[quote name='Urmom(U)' date='28 February 2010 - 03:15 AM' timestamp='1267345169' post='2207994']
You know his IP but can't do anything about him hacking?
[/quote]

He is in new zealand. Does the dirty stuff mostly on proxies.

[quote name='Ryuzaki' date='28 February 2010 - 03:49 AM' timestamp='1267347194' post='2208027']
It is illegal to hack here and I have already said those with evidence of the hacking should report it to his ISP which is apparently Telecom New Zealand.
[/quote]

Yep, that is his ISP

[quote name='hammer' date='28 February 2010 - 04:53 AM' timestamp='1267351042' post='2208075']
maybe you said elsewhere - but do you know just the IP, or the actual player too?
[/quote]

IP and the player was banned from CN like over a year ago

[quote name='ratonbox' date='28 February 2010 - 05:09 AM' timestamp='1267351981' post='2208084']
[/quote]

vBulletin is meh. Too bloated and has a bit of vulnerabilities.

Nobody bothers to code exploits for SMF though, Unless it is a super outdated version :P

[quote name='shahenshah' date='28 February 2010 - 06:43 AM' timestamp='1267357639' post='2208141']
Sad to hear this and we understand the pain and drama involving shifting the entire community as we faced similar actions against us last year.

Good Luck.
[/quote]

This guy also is the one who DDoS'd your forums last year :P