Reparations in Raid

slonq

353 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Rocky Horror' date='28 February 2010 - 05:19 PM' timestamp='1267399385' post='2208990']
Then you are working for the common good, no matter how few of you there are. My theory applies only to none menace.
[/quote]

I'm glad you don't apply such things to small alliances. However, why are non-aligned a "menace" worthy of constant tech wars as far as you are concerned?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't have the "right" to anything. You can either ask for reparations or take matters into your own hands. You have to choose.

Now should a nation have to pay reparations or face continued war for defending itself against a raider? No, of course not.

[quote name='Merrie Melodies' date='03 March 2010 - 11:15 AM' timestamp='1267579129' post='2212004']
Aligned or unaligned doesn't matter, the only right to reps comes from the strength to violently take the reps with force or the threat of force. To those advocating fighting back against the raider, thank you, most raiders love it when a raid fights back, win all around.
[/quote]
Yes.
But if every raid target fought back as hard as they could, how long would you keep doing it?

[quote name='Mathias' date='02 March 2010 - 06:32 PM' timestamp='1267576572' post='2211947']
You don't have the "right" to anything. You can either ask for reparations or take matters into your own hands. You have to choose. [/quote]

No. It doesn't have to be one or the other, at least in theory. In theory, the guy who got attacked can fight back, demand reps, and call in his friends to jump the raider. They can beat on that raider until the raider agrees to pay reps, assuming they have the power to do so. In theory.

In practice, the raider probably has an alliance backing him up, and the raided probably doesn't have anyone to help him out. But that doesn't mean he can't still fight back and ask for reps at the same time - it just means it isn't likely that the raider will agree.

[quote name='Merrie Melodies' date='02 March 2010 - 07:15 PM' timestamp='1267579129' post='2212004']
Aligned or unaligned doesn't matter, the only right to reps comes from the strength to violently take the reps with force or the threat of force. To those advocating fighting back against the raider, thank you, most raiders love it when a raid fights back, win all around.
[/quote]

I doubt it. If raiders wanted people to fight back, they wouldn't gang up against people smaller than them. Raiders are mostly cowards. And if every nation you raided fought back, even if they weren't particularly good at it, your profit would go away, as they would be able to kill off more than enough infra to make up for any tech you stole.

[quote name='Baldr' date='03 March 2010 - 06:54 AM' timestamp='1267599458' post='2212408']
No. It doesn't have to be one or the other, at least in theory. In theory, the guy who got attacked can fight back, demand reps, and call in his friends to jump the raider. They can beat on that raider until the raider agrees to pay reps, assuming they have the power to do so. In theory.

In practice, the raider probably has an alliance backing him up, and the raided probably doesn't have anyone to help him out. But that doesn't mean he can't still fight back and ask for reps at the same time - it just means it isn't likely that the raider will agree.

I doubt it. If raiders wanted people to fight back, they wouldn't gang up against people smaller than them. Raiders are mostly cowards. And if every nation you raided fought back, even if they weren't particularly good at it, your profit would go away, as they would be able to kill off more than enough infra to make up for any tech you stole.
[/quote]
Somehow I don't think you understand the mindset of a raider.

[quote name='Prime minister Johns' date='03 March 2010 - 03:57 AM' timestamp='1267588884' post='2212226']
Yes.
But if every raid target fought back as hard as they could, how long would you keep doing it?
[/quote]
Indefinitely, I don't mind people who fight back, in fact I've made more than a few friends with people who fight back. Do you believe you have to belong to an alliance and wait for all the pomp and circumstance to roll along before you can enjoy war? If they are none and large enough for the average raider to attack they have a pretty good idea about what they are doing, don't you think?

[quote name='Merrie Melodies' date='03 March 2010 - 05:09 PM' timestamp='1267600397' post='2212420']
Indefinitely, I don't mind people who fight back, in fact I've made more than a few friends with people who fight back. Do you believe you have to belong to an alliance and wait for all the pomp and circumstance to roll along before you can enjoy war? If they are none and large enough for the average raider to attack they have a pretty good idea about what they are doing, don't you think?
[/quote]
I prefer to keep my threat of force well contained, lest my blade grow dull at a time when it is needed.

Edited by Prime minister Johns

[quote name='Baldr' date='27 February 2010 - 07:33 PM' timestamp='1267317411' post='2207169']
In a tech raid? Tech raiders don't pay reps anyway.

IMO, if you don't fight back they'll just put you on a list of targets who will just give them what they want, and they'll keep raiding.

Fighting back takes away their profit.
[/quote]

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_0z6WPylXzsc/R6j82sEyPJI/AAAAAAAAAu8/dqka_gByn8U/s400/emoticon_shh.jpg[/img]

Shh! A secret:

If you don't fight back they'll maybe raid you again. If you fight back they'll pretty much definitely raid you again. Raiders crave war. The only way to discourage raids is through superior nuclear firepower. Buy an MP. And a WRC if you're big enough. Nuke daily... every day of the war.

Edited by Penkala

[quote name='Kryievla' date='28 February 2010 - 12:34 AM' timestamp='1267317488' post='2207174']
Oh my. I'm sure I'll get roasted for this but:

'Right' to reps? I don't think anyone has a 'right' to reparations. You have a 'right' to what you can secure and hold, or to what society chooses to secure for you. I figure you can't lose what you never had in the first place ;)

All that being said, I might (and likely would) pay reparations to someone that requested monetary compensation if I attacked them out of the blue, but *definitely* would not after they retaliated in kind. If I declare war on a nation, & that nation fights back, I consider it a square deal.
[/quote]

(Please imagine you're an individual nation and not in an alliance.)

What if that nation tech raided you and you turned the tied and where now winning.... Would you request reparations or continue pummeling the tech raider into the ground? What if that tech raider asked for peace. Would you give him peace? Or force him to pay reparations?

[quote name='Sal Paradise' date='27 February 2010 - 10:19 PM' timestamp='1267327361' post='2207403']
If you steal my wallet and I punch you in the face, you don't get to keep my wallet.
[/quote]

If I steal your wallet and you punch me in the face, not only am I going to punch you in the face, kick you in the nuts, and otherwise harm you until you're a bloody mess on the floor but I'm still taking your wallet. Oh, and I'm also taking your girlfriend, your jewelry and your keys.

[quote name='Balder' date='03 March 2010 - 02:26 PM' timestamp='1267644626' post='2212864']
If I steal your wallet and you punch me in the face, not only am I going to punch you in the face, kick you in the nuts, and otherwise harm you until you're a bloody mess on the floor but I'm still taking your wallet. Oh, and I'm also taking your girlfriend, your jewelry and your keys.
[/quote]
It's good to know that you've abandoned any pretense of decency.

[quote name='Vilien' date='03 March 2010 - 02:58 PM' timestamp='1267646501' post='2212883']
It's good to know that you've abandoned any pretense of decency.
[/quote]

Meh, I think I've clearly advertised my beliefs regarding tech raiding. Though, I also believe it's a tad below you to assume that I'm not a decent person for my thoughts on that matter in particular.

Edited by Balder

[quote name='Merrie Melodies' date='03 March 2010 - 01:06 AM' timestamp='1267600178' post='2212417']
Somehow I don't think you understand the mindset of a raider.
[/quote]

I know that when I was unaligned, I got raided, I fought back, and they hated it. They don't want people to fight back, they want them to give up and let them have whatever they want.

I also know that after I told NEW that if they attacked me again, I'd consider it a war from their alliance declared on me as an individual, and that I'd start declaring my own wars on their smaller nations and beating them to a pulp, they responded by saying "We'll put you on a do-not-target" list.

ie, they don't want people to fight back. It kills their profit.

[quote name='Balder' date='03 March 2010 - 04:44 PM' timestamp='1267656482' post='2213023']
Meh, I think I've clearly advertised my beliefs regarding tech raiding. Though, I also believe it's a tad below you to assume that I'm not a decent person for my thoughts on that matter in particular.
[/quote]

It's so disappointing to me that I have a namesake, and he's such a scumbag.

Not only do you think that theft is OK, but you're pissed off at the very idea that someone might not like you stealing from them.

Yes, that does mean that you are not a decent person.

[quote name='Baldr' date='03 March 2010 - 08:00 PM' timestamp='1267664641' post='2213145']
It's so disappointing to me that I have a namesake, and he's such a scumbag.

Not only do you think that theft is OK, but you're pissed off at the very idea that someone might not like you stealing from them.

Yes, that does mean that you are not a decent person.
[/quote]

Your offhanded judgment is laughable, and I'd hasten to advise you not to be so reckless with your speech. No, that's not a threat, simple advice.

I'm equally disappointed that someone whose chosen a similar person of note is so disillusioned.

Yes, that means that your idealism is unfounded and humorous.

[quote name='Baldr' date='03 March 2010 - 07:57 PM' timestamp='1267664472' post='2213143']
I know that when I was unaligned, I got raided, I fought back, and they hated it. They don't want people to fight back, they want them to give up and let them have whatever they want.

I also know that after I told NEW that if they attacked me again, I'd consider it a war from their alliance declared on me as an individual, and that I'd start declaring my own wars on their smaller nations and beating them to a pulp, they responded by saying "We'll put you on a do-not-target" list.

[/quote]
thats only some raiders. and then there are those who would like to be in an all out alliance war but arent in one so instead they raid, and if the raided nation fights back then hell yeah, its like christmas morning. They get that all out war they wanted, even if its on a smaller scale

If it were up to me, probably would give the person some advice, like join an alliance or if they are in a small alliance, get protection from an established alliance. Honestly, if they attack back, I wouldn't hit them back, I would just send peace again. They attack the next day, again, I'll be nice and send peace. Third day? Send peace. Fourth? maybe send peace. If they launch a nuke? Well, I was asking for it if I had raided them knowing of the possibility of getting nuked.

Probably went off topic a bit, but if they do attack back and ask for reps, I'd pay them some monies, why not? They showed that they aren't going to take !@#$ from some punk $@! raider. Yes, I called myself a punk $@! raider.

[quote name='Balder' date='03 March 2010 - 07:20 PM' timestamp='1267665823' post='2213156']
Your offhanded judgment is laughable, and I'd hasten to advise you not to be so reckless with your speech. No, that's not a threat, simple advice.
[/quote]

You aren't big enough to be a threat. You've played for over 400 days, you've got less than 600 infra.

But you feel free to try me, if you ever stop raiding long enough to actually grow.

[quote name='Baldr' date='03 March 2010 - 10:43 PM' timestamp='1267674410' post='2213297']
You aren't big enough to be a threat. You've played for over 400 days, you've got less than 600 infra.

But you feel free to try me, if you ever stop raiding long enough to actually grow.
[/quote]

I've been playing since the GPW. Don't judge a book by its cover. In addition, I already said it wasn't a threat. Your posturing there however was again, pretty humorous.

[quote name='Baldr' date='03 March 2010 - 07:56 PM' timestamp='1267664472' post='2213143']

[/quote]

For some raiders that is true, however not all. Certainly not me and Merrie Melodies as he's already said himself. Branding all raiders with generalized terms is ignorant at best, which is fine since most people don't really seem to understand why raiders raid. It's such a mystery here.