Reparations in Raid

slonq

353 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Prime minister Johns' date='27 March 2010 - 06:22 PM' timestamp='1269674560' post='2238155']Well a tech raid is perceived as the same thing by many people, it's an unprovoked attack to them, nothing more, nothing less. And they react accordingly.[/quote]
Are you basing this on your extensive research into the reactions of people who have been tech raided, or are you just projecting how [i]you[/i] would react on them?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

International politics is anarchy; you may have natural rights but they're irrelevant without any competent authority to recognize and enforce them. Really, rights theory is irrelevant here, and you're only entitled to what you can impose on others.

If you're unaligned or barely-aligned and you attack an aligned nation, you'll be paying whatever reps the alliance wants you to or getting ZIed, and that's if you're lucky. If you're in an alliance and attacked by a rogue in an alliance of near or equal power, it's really just a matter of how good your diplomacy is, who your friends are, and how much your alliance is willing to fight for you, and what your alliance's goals and their allies' goals are in regard to the attacking alliance. If you're in an alliance and are attacked by a rogue in a much stronger alliance, you get what they're willing to give you.

That said, this fundamental international anarchy is only the framework. Most alliances are quite cordial with other alliances in practice, even ones they have no real need to be cordial with. But confusing best practices with fundamental rights is dangerous.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Sal Paradise' date='27 February 2010 - 08:51 PM' timestamp='1267318250' post='2207191']
If you steal my wallet and I punch you in the face, you don't get to keep my wallet.
[/quote]

Well said.

If someone gets raided and manages to turn the fight around to the point where the raider is losing, if the raidee has the power to make things worse for the raider they certainly can demand reps. It's not so much a matter of "right" as much as a "Give me reps or I'll just beat the **** outta you for attacking me" sort of thing.

Yes, in my book, there is a right to receive reparations. The Right of Arms.

In fact, if I were raided, I wouldn't even call it reparations, I'd call it "regret-protection money" because if I didn't get paid they'd regret every day of their miserable lives. I would dedicate every waking hour to destroying that nation AND their whole !@#$@#$ alliance. It would be war around every corner and every retreat by my nation would only be a feint to set up the next ambush until I got what I wanted. I would draw in their enemies' alliances and set up coalitions. I abide by the principle of overwhelming force for any theft and barring that, mutually assured destruction. !@#$@#$ weak $@! thieves.

Now, is there an international precedent for demanding reparations from an alliance to an unaligned? Nope. But that's life.

Edit: Rawr (he he)

Edited by Kzoppistan

[quote name='Centurius' date='08 April 2010 - 08:30 AM' timestamp='1270733424' post='2253039']
Personally, yes regardless of if you fight back you have a right on financial compensation for losses taken. Unfortunately in reality there are too many people who think might makes right.
[/quote]

I don't understand. What's wrong with that?

[quote name='White Chocolate' date='28 February 2010 - 01:41 AM' timestamp='1267317686' post='2207185']
The "might makes right" folks make a good point, sometimes. It depends on what peace is worth to the nation/alliance declared war on for tech and doing declaring war. This is often a matter of power or perceived power. I include things like reputation when I talk about "power" in addition to military might (and a lot of people don't, which I think is to their harm in the long run).
[/quote]

One only has power if they are supported by others, if left alone the mightiest of giants can be slain by dozens of man,sure he can fight back and threatehn but at one point or another those little men are going to inflict a crippling wound on him.

Also if somebody tech raided me I would first tell them to peace out if not then I would contact there leaders, if that didn't I would declare war 24 hours later and no responce ? I would start sending nukes

if they are unaligned, I would just fight them with full military period, their lose not mine

Edited by sircrimson

[quote name='sircrimson' date='18 April 2010 - 05:07 PM' timestamp='1271628410' post='2265373']
Also if somebody tech raided me I would first tell them to peace out if not then I would contact there leaders, if that didn't I would declare war 24 hours later and no responce ? I would start sending nukes

if they are unaligned, I would just fight them with full military period, their lose not mine
[/quote]

So if you are tech raided, step one is to ask them to peace out?

That's exactly what the tech raiders want. They get to hit you, steal some tech and money and land, and go away without you fighting back.

IMO, that just encourages them.

[quote name='Baldr' date='19 April 2010 - 04:40 AM' timestamp='1271648401' post='2265795']
So if you are tech raided, step one is to ask them to peace out?

That's exactly what the tech raiders want. They get to hit you, steal some tech and money and land, and go away without you fighting back.

IMO, that just encourages them.
[/quote]

I have nukes a full set of military offensive and defensive wonders, sdi's and I know how alliences work, the moment I send a nuke a raider (ala goons) I am declared a nuke rogue

with that said you have a good point.... since raiders send peace offerins after declaration

840 days of playing cn and I still have something to learn ;)

[quote name='sircrimson' date='19 April 2010 - 03:08 PM' timestamp='1271707697' post='2266643']
I have nukes a full set of military offensive and defensive wonders, sdi's and I know how alliences work, the moment I send a nuke a raider (ala goons) I am declared a nuke rogue

with that said you have a good point.... since raiders send peace offerins after declaration

840 days of playing cn and I still have something to learn ;)
[/quote]

Defending yourself when you are attacked doesn't make you a nuke rogue. They attacked you, and can hardly scream "OMG ROGUE!".

If I were running an alliance that raided, I'd want to keep a list of nations who accepted peace every time it was offered. Those nations would get raided over and over again. After all, it's pretty much all profit. You hit them, offer peace, and leave with your profits. The nations who fight back are the ones who take the profit out of it.

[quote name='Baldr' date='19 April 2010 - 03:32 PM' timestamp='1271716326' post='2266876']
Defending yourself when you are attacked doesn't make you a nuke rogue. They attacked you, and can hardly scream "OMG ROGUE!".

If I were running an alliance that raided, I'd want to keep a list of nations who accepted peace every time it was offered. Those nations would get raided over and over again. After all, it's pretty much all profit. You hit them, offer peace, and leave with your profits. The nations who fight back are the ones who take the profit out of it.
[/quote]
First part: True. If a raider in GOONS gets nuked we will probably laugh at them.

Second part: That sounds like way too much effort.

[quote name='ktarthan' date='19 April 2010 - 11:45 PM' timestamp='1271717130' post='2266891']
First part: True. If a raider in GOONS gets nuked we will probably laugh at them.

Second part: That sounds like way too much effort.
[/quote]

again very..enlightening thank you for this information

I always found it more fun when they [i]did[/i] fight back. This one guy was so outraged he attempted to fight back, claiming he would never surrender. Of course, this was right after \m/'s involvement in the war ended, so I was 100% militarized and every attack he made was crushed. Two days and nukes later, his nation was crippled and he simply gave up. Admin also decided he was no longer suitable for Bob after being informed of some choice words the raidee had said.

Sometimes it isn't the tech the raiders are after, it's experiences like this.