The Prevalence of Spying on Bob

Sandwich Controversy

296 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Epik High' date='09 February 2010 - 04:55 PM' timestamp='1265752515' post='2171220']
Except the poll isn't anonymous. Unless that was the joke. If so, lol funny etc.
[/quote]
I had no idea that message would be there, dammit. THREAD RUINED

Still, this would be an interesting topic even as a serious, anonymous thread.

Edited by Sandwich Controversy

The option I would choose isn't available.

I'll explain: Over the years I've gathered quite a lot of diplomatic masks at various alliances around the cyberverse.
So when leaving FOK for a temporary stint in STA, it never occurred to me to ask everywhere to de-mask me.
After a month or so I became interested in an old thread I and some other FOKkers discussed months prior in the Gremlins embassy. So I logged in there and checked the thread.
It wasn't really shocking, but it could have if FOK posted an important notification to their allies in there.

Edited by thaone

[quote]This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose[/quote]

Nice. :P

I have had people give me information unsolicited. Such as "we're thinking of dropping so-and-so treaty". I wouldn't exactly call that spying; the definition of which I'm sure we could argue about for a good week.

[quote name='Sandwich Controversy' date='09 February 2010 - 03:56 PM' timestamp='1265752571' post='2171222']
I had no idea that message would be there, dammit. THREAD RUINED
[/quote]

Another problem, apparently, is that you can delete your vote--I just null voted to see the results, and found that you can just delete and revote.

Voted anyways because I don't care if it's public or not!

Edited by Epik High

Information isn't garnered simply by spying. Any diplomat can function just as effectively as a well placed spy so long as they know the right people and have a reputation for being tight lipped. I haven't kept up with that scene for awhile, so I really have no idea how prevalent spying is these days. That said, I've sent people into other alliances in the past.

I do not spy because I feel it is unethical and that winning at a cost to your ethical integrity is not worth it. I've also had lots of people try to pump me for information (quite obviously too, though they thought they were being sneaky. Man I wish I could call them out itt oh well) and that disgusts me. If you want to know something, ask, don't be sneaky about it. If asking doesn't work, you have the choice to degrade yourself and your alliance or to simply operate in the dark and make smart decisions.

[quote name='Epik High' date='09 February 2010 - 04:58 PM' timestamp='1265752691' post='2171232']
Another problem, apparently, is that you can delete your vote--I just null voted to see the results, and found that you can just delete and revote.
[/quote]Dude.

Stop taking after [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oTl4rabDoI&feature=related]Buzz Killington[/url]

Edited by Fallen_Fool

Yes, I have personally gone into an alliance for the purpose of undermining them.
Yes, I have sent an agent into another alliance for the above purpose.
I have had spies give me information unsolicited.
Spies have come to me unsolicited, and I have asked them for additional information.

All of these apply to me.

[quote name='Fallen_Fool' date='09 February 2010 - 05:01 PM' timestamp='1265752893' post='2171242']
Dude.

Stop taking after [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oTl4rabDoI&feature=related]Buzz Killington[/url]
[/quote]

Fallen Fool, you're a bigger buzzkill than Buzz Killington. -_-

Also, voted null.

I have spied on an alliance multiple times: Sparta. I managed to change several members' DefCon to 5 and gather information. Although the mission was a success my spies were caught, 20 spies were killed, and my identity had been publicly revealed.

Oh wait...did I talk about the wrong kind of spying? :P

[quote name='Fallen_Fool' date='09 February 2010 - 04:01 PM' timestamp='1265752893' post='2171242']
Dude.

[/quote]

There was no "buzz" for me to "kill" in the first place, as this thread failed from the otuset. Thanks to yours truly.

Now, who here likes a good story about a bridge?

[quote name='thaone' date='09 February 2010 - 04:57 PM' timestamp='1265752657' post='2171229']
The option I would choose isn't available.

I'll explain: Over the years I've gathered quite a lot of diplomatic masks at various alliances around the cyberverse.
So when leaving FOK for a temporary stint in STA, it never occurred to me to ask everywhere to de-mask me.
After a month or so I became interested in an old thread I and some other FOKkers discussed months prior in the Gremlins embassy. So I logged in there and checked the thread.
It wasn't really shocking, but it could have if FOK posted an important notification to their allies in there.
[/quote]
Similar; I could have though I didn't care enough and had/have no reason to. I stopped playing back in spring/summer of 2007 and when I returned in spring 2009 I found out I was still masked as a diplomat on some forums. Needless to say I laughed, [i]hard[/i].

[quote name='Hyperbad' date='09 February 2010 - 11:36 PM' timestamp='1265754981' post='2171305']
Similar; I could have though I didn't care enough and had/have no reason to. I stopped playing back in spring/summer of 2007 and when I returned in spring 2009 I found out I was still masked as a diplomat on some forums. Needless to say I laughed, [i]hard[/i].
[/quote]

I actually just realize that the above story can be evened out with my honesty. When FOK left Q, all masks of FOK members where deleted, but somebody messed up and I kept my leadership mask.
I was so honest to tell them when I noticed it. ^_^