Civility in war

Machiabelly

Machiabelly, the voice of the King of Prince Edward Island steps up to the microphone for a short announcement that will be broadcast to world leaders involved in the current conflict

Machiabelly: The world is slowly being drawn in to a conflict of a global scale. Alliances and even nations are declaring war daily. Each new declaration is met with thanks from their allies, which is predictable but also the correct polite thing to do.

Unfortunately such declarations are also met with scorn and derision. It is natural to be upset when a group of people declare their intent to attack your nation and kill your people...but there is a way to show your disagreement without it degenerating to personal attacks on leaders or constantly trotting out the same old insults about various alliances. This is directed at leaders on both sides.

We are the leaders of our nations and should show some decorum and set a good example. Of course the propaganda we transmit within our borders is a different matter.

So, good luck to all the combatants involved, and I will do my best to keep the rhetoric to a bare minimum.

Well said Machiabelly.

The knights of the province of Pseudoland look forward to honourable battle on the plains of planet Bob. Our weapons are drawn, no more needs to be said. There is only the unstated respect we have for our enemy.

A global war without back and forth arguing would be pretty boring.

You can argue and remain civil. For instance, you showed a disagreement with my speech, but you did not call me an idiot, use the word Optional, or say that anyone who believes this is obviously on "the other side".

So you argued and remained civil. See, it can be done.

I have been fighting 2 guys from IRON. They are fighting with honnour and both are very cordial. You can try to destroy your enemy and still be a gentlemann.

You sir, are one of the funniest people I've ever had the honor of fighting.

Good show. :)

Best of luck to you, and may your bombs fall true.

Please direct some fire to ol' Cletus's house. His meth labs are bringing down my citizens' productivity. :(

Good luck bud. :)

Edited by PrideAssassin

I had a good time chatting with my FOK opponents as we exchanged nukes. Eventually FOK peaces us out and now I consider quite a few of them friends. I think FOK-NSO war was a perfect example of civility, honor, and respect between combatants. I wish FOK well, it was an honor meeting you on the battle field.

Absolutely you can have civility in war, and civility in behavior is something I demand out of my alliance during a fight.

(However, we frown upon certain civility, such as "hey don't nuke me and I won't nuke you" deals, in the arena of combat there should be no mercy or quarter given.)

OOC: Whether our opponents are civil or not, although they usually are, I feel that remembering this is a game to be enjoyed is important. Once a war begins, nukes speak, not words, those who feel compelled to continue trashing their opponents come off as juveniles...and probably actually are. -_-

Edited by bigwoody

[quote name='Machiabelly' date='30 January 2010 - 10:50 AM' timestamp='1264866641' post='2144754']
[i]Machiabelly, the voice of the King of Prince Edward Island steps up to the microphone for a short announcement that will be broadcast to world leaders involved in the current conflict[/i]

[b]Machiabelly:[/b] The world is slowly being drawn in to a conflict of a global scale. Alliances and even nations are declaring war daily. Each new declaration is met with thanks from their allies, which is predictable but also the correct polite thing to do.

Unfortunately such declarations are also met with scorn and derision. It is natural to be upset when a group of people declare their intent to attack your nation and kill your people...but there is a way to show your disagreement without it degenerating to personal attacks on leaders or constantly trotting out the same old insults about various alliances. This is directed at leaders on both sides.

We are the leaders of our nations and should show some decorum and set a good example. Of course the propaganda we transmit within our borders is a different matter.

So, good luck to all the combatants involved, and I will do my best to keep the rhetoric to a bare minimum.
[/quote]

Quoted OP for great justice...and because its right and deserves repeating.

Yeah...you know what, I'm guilty of being a bit of a jerk lately on this forum. This post is a great reminder. I will try to do better in the future.

I can say, though, I enjoyed my fight against PC and spoke to a couple of them after the war. Much respect to PC, who gave me one of the best fights I've had in my time on Planet Bob.

[quote name='bigwoody' date='31 January 2010 - 12:43 PM' timestamp='1264963405' post='2147975']
(However, we frown upon certain civility, such as "hey don't nuke me and I won't nuke you" deals, in the arena of combat there should be no mercy or quarter given.)
[/quote]

There was once a time when this was a generally... unsaid rule when it came to wars. Wars were a little more challenging then as it took more to beat the crap out of your enemy to get them into anarchy. I knew many nations who honorably went down into anarchy without launching one nuke at their opponents.

Hoever, times have changed, and nukes are much more acquirable. They have gone form this horrid weapon which would ruin everyone's economy due to global radiation, to an acceptable weapon of choice as it can easily decimate your opponent. Economy for those who can afford nukes anyways is hardly effected by nuclear fallout and can easily turn a blind eye to their glowing pixels.

Just thought I'd mention this strange turn around since I last played before this reroll.

Oh yes, also would like to mention, I see alot of humor between the two warring sides. This is one of the most civil wars I have seen between one another, and frankly, I love it. Now... only if I could get out of PM :P

Civility in war?

I think the best example of this was between KeyStroke (CCC) and Xiphosis (GOD) during NoCB. Although I must admit, there was this one opponent of mine in GOD who was pretty awesome in his own right :)

(Unfortunately, there was also one moment of lack of civility in that war that got a CCCer excommunicated and struck down by Admin <_< We were kinda red-faced at that.)

Then in Karma War, it was fun times in #cnsparta with the friendly banter between TOOLies and Spartans. Plus with me beating everyone except Ramirus Maximus in trivia (the man CAN NOT be beat when he's on his game). :P

So yeah, it's possible.