Does anyone really care about micro-alliances?

ChimpMasterFlash

Do you care about micro-alliances  

375 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

All alliances started as micro-alliances, perhaps barring a few invasion alliances who migrated to CN en masse. But also, micros can have some of the coolest people around. :wub: AOD Brigade :wub: DAAN :wub:

So yes, I care about micro-alliances.

*cough*cough* )):

Also: Tetris cares.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bleh, it's hard to say. Yes and no (I voted no in honesty). I care about the ones that have friends in them and the ones that are protectorates, but other than that they are simply satellite alliances in which to wage war. Seriously, what better casus belli then to have your protected alliance start something and create a massive snowball effect?

You are saying that all micro-alliances will eventually become a major player in the game. Since that statement is false and more alliance fail your logic hearby eludes whether we should care about a micro alliance.

Please ask yourself how many alliances have exsisted over the course of cybernation and the derive a percentage of how many actually made a difference in the game.

Sorry for the grammar I'm not on the laptop. :s

I am sorry, but you have mis-read or mis-interpreted what I said. I said that MANY great alliances started as micro alliances and that I am sure there are MANY micro alliances out there who are or may become great.

I never said ALL. I never said they were ALL great or that ALL alliances came from micro alliances. Please be more careful when refuting what you think I said.

I am sorry, but you have mis-read or mis-interpreted what I said. I said that MANY great alliances started as micro alliances and that I am sure there are MANY micro alliances out there who are or may become great.

That's the thing though, there is a major barrier between newer and older players that is unlikely to be overcome. With the exception of a few formidable alliances, most micro-alliances fail because they simply can't get off the ground. I've been in a micro-alliance before and I've seen how it is very difficult to recruit people when it's a hundred times easier to go to Alliance Affiliation, click the drop down, ghost a sanctioned alliance, get yelled at by said sanctioned alliance, and then formally apply for membership to said sanctioned alliance. If micro-alliances have any hope of succeeding, they need an extremely efficient and competent government team to get the ball rolling. Inactivity is what kills micro-alliances more often than war, though as I posted above, they are the perfect tool to start wars, which is why I try to not jump on the bandwagon and make my own alliance and get caught with my pants down.

But you can be great, by my definition, without becoming big. I think an alliance of 20 that has a good community and has a small presence on the world radar can still be a great alliance.

Ah, if you define in terms of qualitative observation, definitely. TYR, for instance, insists on remaining small for that reason. I definitely agree with that sentiment, though the only hardship is overcoming inactivity and being constantly harassed about mergers and the sorts.

Im not sure whether my definition of micro alliance fits the one every else has.

Personally, I hate it when 1 man alliances issue declerations of war. If I ever rule an alliance I will ZI every person who issues a personal decleration of war by claiming to be an alliance. I get it if an alliance issued previous declarations, at the very least a declaration of existence, but when an "alliance"/person declares existence and war in thesame post I just wanna physically hurt them.

Well, you owe me a ZI retroactively if you ever get that head job.

When I was independent for a few months, over a year ago I called my one man alliance the "Prince Edward Island Freedom Front". I had my own flag and had somewhere between 5 and 10 medium to large size alliances recognize my existance as an alliance. I also declared war on one of the Mafia inspired alliances...the Family, something that came before hand, brain freeze right now...and in my opinion I won.

My bad, not only did I appear to direct that at you but I misspelled "your" D:

And agreed with the post if it matters.

It's all cool Drai, I tried not to point out your bad use of grammar. :P

Any agreement is worth something.

Ah, if you define in terms of qualitative observation, definitely. TYR, for instance, insists on remaining small for that reason. I definitely agree with that sentiment, though the only hardship is overcoming inactivity and being constantly harassed about mergers and the sorts.

Where is OMFG when you need them? They could fill us in.

Edit: Grabbed wrong quote.

Edited by Tick1

I don't care no matter the size of an alliance. I read what's going on and contemplate the situation. I typically write up a reply regarding what has transpired but then delete it as I wonder why I'm even bothering. Any drama can easily be cleared up if the parties desire it and anyone can tech trade. The doom of one does not equate to the doom of all.

[OOC: Interests aren't represented in the game proper thus I have no reason to care about anyone else. The only thing which has me 'care' is my desire to roleplay somewhat of a benevolent ruler and then it's about the actions taken, principles of any matter as opposed to who takes them. In a more devious mood or mindset or with differing game mechanics I'll instead care to the point of how useful they are in dooming others.]

Maybe I'll care when I see an alliance that stands out as exceptional but I've yet to see one. It's always possible that I just haven't seen them much here of course.

I wouldn't write off all micro alliances as meaningless, but the vast majority of them are going nowhere fast and doing nothing but watering down the political landscape. There are just not that many original themes, causes, or governments etc. that people need to be creating alliances left and right. Especially when they stay on the same color and get a protectorate from their original alliance. I'd encourage every micro alliance to re-examine their growth trend and recruiting trend, and take an honest assessment of whether they're going to even break 1 mil. in the next 6 months. If not, then just what are they going to do to create any sort of effect in this world? And if you're not going to create any impact, then why not stay in your original alliance or join GPA?

The reason I even care is because I think CN would be a lot more interesting if the number of alliances came way down, so that every treaty really counted. As it is, it's a bunch of extremely similar alliances of varying size who are mostly all friendly with each other, who get pulled in one direction of a war or the other based on a chain of MDP's. When sanctioned alliances are at 8 mil, anyone under a million NS is hardly worth even taking into account. We need more big and original players - not tag-alongs - to make things interesting again. The more power gets splintered into little pieces the less likely it is that we'll see big, clearly-defined sides.

Edited by Prodigal Moon

Depends. If it was KIDS, FDA, a makeshift alliance or something, no. If it was an alliance that went through a lot and got in various damaging wars for the good, then I would. I only care about ones that actually make an effort to stand up for their beliefs and allies in front of a larger opponent and have some influence on the political environment.

Just as you might find it fun attacking a micro alliance, another alliance might find it fun to use that as an excuse to attack. So in the end it has nothing to do with whether they care about them, just whether they feel its time for war.

Even the invasion alliances start with just a couple of members, and bring friends over and stuff. They may grow a hell of a lot faster, but they still start with the basics.

OTF Alliance founded with 70-100 members. There's exceptions to every rule.

Edited by Poyplemonkeys

Micro alliances sit on the edge of the game and have less influence on world politics than the rank and file members of major sanctioned alliances for the most part.

The only exceptions are the micro alliances founded by deposed leaders or influential former members of sanctioned alliances.

And Gramlins, they are a special exception.

Edited by Prime minister Johns