CNRP Proposal #2

Bacharth

The Problem

The problem with the Fantasy RP board is that only CNRP is played, and most spinoffs die within the first few weeks of existance. This is a major problem which serves to cut down on the variety of things that can be played. AEGIS tried to alleviate this by adding the use of different species, and CNRP-R tried to make things more realistic. Both failed because people weren't use to the freedom or restrictions brought on. Everyone had their own idea of how CNRP was supposed to work by implementing their own ideas.

A problem with CNRP right now is that there is a lot of nationalism and continuity issues. In fact, this is one of the worst problems we have. Everyone wants to control a certain area because they feel some right to control it over another guy. A good piece of evidence for this is Texas. Before Texas, it was Japan, Germany, Scandinavia, and a lot of the Americas. There is too much of a Real-Life tie from CNRP. Too much history happened on this planet to make it a viable starting point for people with their own ideas of politics and cultures and languages. If someone tries to create a new culture, they are denied, because the area where they are is not the area where the culture began. Nobody can roleplay freely what kind of culture they want. If someone wants to play a Japanese nation, but can only get China, they are barraged with comments IC and OOC of "This is rare to have Japanese cultures in China". Nationalism and Historic continuity. It makes people that want to play the game hesitant to start in a game that has such strict unsaid rules.

A Proposal

I have created a map. This map has no history, no cultures, no nations, and no people. All it is is a map of geography. This map, if my proposal is accepted, will serve one of two purposes: Replacing the current CNRP map, or creating a completely new CNRP universe.

If this map is to replace the current CNRP map, I will devise a system to ease a land rush to ensure people get what they want, and there can be some semblance of realism. Otherwise, it will become an alternate CNRP universe. The alternate universe will go off of the regular CNRP rules, with small additions as we go on.

The Map (Warning, large image)

Now, I have too many ideas to place down on this post, so if have questions, please reply to them here and I'll answer them, and place answered questions in this FAQ.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Would I be able to keep my characters or histories?

A: Yes, you can keep your characters either way, and create histories with different characters for putting your nation here. It's pretty free in that aspect.

Q:

A:

Edited by VinceSixx

People shouldn't be forced to roleplay something they don't want to. This is why people get attacked and made fun of when they play German nations in Spain. I mean, the entire Nordland war was based on the fact of nationalism and ooc history.

Hmmm i'd transfer the NoN to... somewhere... but when I first started my RP, i made a point of creating this history of the nation 20+ years prior because when I claimed, Ethiopia was white...

Honestly though, the current system of 'continuity' is quite impossible to properly implement. No new player would ever bother to read up on what others previously RPd in their space just so they could tailor their own RP to it... I know I didn't and didn't want to.

Edited by Executive Minister

Hmmm i'd transfer the NoN to... somewhere... but when I first started my RP, i made a point of creating this history of the nation 20+ years prior because when I claimed, Ethiopia was white...

Honestly though, the current system of 'continuity' is quite impossible to properly implement. No new player would ever bother to read up on what others previously RPd in their space just so they could tailor their own RP to it... I know I didn't and didn't want to.

What you say is true but it is at least common thought for some new player to see what the last history was for the area they have claimed. You dont have to follow it of course but it would be fair to at least include an enclave of the old culture in the new nation.

To be honest CNRP would be better off without a map, I know its been said before and it will never happen but its what I think would best for CNRP.

While a good idea at heart, it can create unfortunate complications that many are unwilling to go for. I like this idea, but roleplaying other actual countries (in one form or another) is wanted by those playing cybernations roleplay. An earth map also gives us landmarks and city names so we do not have to make them outselves.

A different way things could go for a map: use an Impossible Infinity map (yes, I just made up that name :P). However, this is a very radically different in many aspects and most would highly likely not like it. I am not expecting anyone to like it, I'm just more-so of putting it out there.

Instead of the planet being a globe, it is a flat plane going into infinity, a massive ocean with no land other than what is created by the players. Players get to choose where their land is, and can use any piece of land from earth (bearing your SoI can cover it) for it, and can increase in size when your SoI does; keeping every single bit of past history on it, or perhaps a different history of your own design. The land can be connected to another player's land only if decided before-hand and/or if both parties wish it to be connected by land in a war (note that it must be visually shown), and when they are connected they cannot be unconnected unless one person re-rolls or goes inactive. It can be community-decided if there is a moon or not, and how many for that matter, as well as if the land is givable to another nation. While this is a very different way, this is more leaning towards having no map to deal with and the in-game way nations work.

Yes, it does throw realism out the window, but it would allow players to have any land and any history they want, while keeping real life terrain and allowing players to decide whoever is close to them.

---

Just putting it out there, not to hijack your thread or anything.

I play CNRP cause I like RP based on CN, and the mods themselves have said that CNRP has earth history.

Not saying I don't like creating unique cultures (Just ask me about the insane aliens I've made), but CNRP is for CN. The reason the other RP's fail is because their entire existence is based on a gimmick, and people get bored of the gimmick. Not only that, but people keep trying to make them in this forum, meaning it gets crowded and confuses people.

Large image? This computer won't even load it...

I play CNRP cause I like RP based on CN, and the mods themselves have said that CNRP has earth history.

Not saying I don't like creating unique cultures (Just ask me about the insane aliens I've made), but CNRP is for CN. The reason the other RP's fail is because their entire existence is based on a gimmick, and people get bored of the gimmick. Not only that, but people keep trying to make them in this forum, meaning it gets crowded and confuses people.

Unfortunately true.

This is a nice idea except for one thing. You want to replace the current map. As in, get rid of the old map and substitute it with this one. lolno

edit: I should read better. Yes, I am fine with creating another universe. I thought your proposal was for replacing only.

Edited by Vedran

While I would prefer CyberNations geography, I have found map threads a tedious source of unnecessary conflict.

Let’s all go back to the days before the scramble for Continent X threads where nations could overlap geographically and no one cared.

People cared back then, Reich and I had a lot of arguments about how my boarder with Russany was a few miles away from his capital, and then if we followed HIS circle of influence we had the same problem on my side. The map thread fixed such arguments.

People cared back then, Reich and I had a lot of arguments about how my boarder with Russany was a few miles away from his capital, and then if we followed HIS circle of influence we had the same problem on my side. The map thread fixed such arguments.

But Botha and his fellow africans could have cared less about maps and borders.

Really, it all depends on who you ask. I for one prefer a map, but that's just me.