The Sydney Convention

Silhouette

Given the recent string of deplorable attacks against unarmed diplomats and civilian structures in this world, we invite representatives of all the nations of the world to travel to Sydney to discuss the possibility of a universal definition of a 'war crime', and the consequences of commiting such acts, which would include such atrocities as genocide, ethnic cleansing, murder of non-combatants, and the use of chemical and biological weapons.

OOC: I don't expect much of a turnout here, but I just thought I would try to add some realism to the CNRP world. :)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the recent string of deplorable attacks against unarmed diplomats and civilian structures in this world, we invite representatives of all the nations of the world to travel to Sydney to discuss the possibility of a universal definition of a 'war crime', and the consequences of commiting such acts, which would include such atrocities as genocide, ethnic cleansing, murder of non-combatants, and the use of chemical and biological weapons.

OOC: I don't expect much of a turnout here, but I just thought I would try to add some realism to the CNRP world. :)

The Republic of Euzkadi welcomes this chance for the world to discuss these very important issues. The interim leader of our nation, President Jose Aizpurua, will travel in person to Sydney to participate in the discussion.

Edited by Cataduanes

Anthony Davis is sent from the Empire with a briefcase. He lets out a yawn as he walks into the convention and scratches at the red evening shadow growing upon his face. He would go to the bathroom first to freshen up a bit, it'd been a bit of a rough flight for him, he never took well to aircraft. Then he walked down the convention hall to the meeting room and found his seat among the delegations.

New Cymru thanks all attendees. The time has come for an opening address to all present.

Senator John Andrews steps up to the lecturn, in front of the small collection of attendees, he feels rather silly, however, he procedes with his speech as planned.

"My friends, you all know why we are here today. We are attempting to lay a groundwork for a more civilized world, where wounded soldiers do not have to worry about torture or mistreatment, and can instead be sure of medical care, whether they are found by friend or foe. We are working towards a world where unarmed civilians do not have to worry about being set upon by combatants, where biological and chemical weapons are a mere ghost in the annals of history, and where prisoners of war can be assured of ethical and proper treatment. What we are attempting to do here, ladies and gentlemen, is create a safer and more peaceful world, for soldiers and civilians alike."

He let his eyes scan the room for a brief moment, before continuing.

"Some of you may consider this to be somewhat of an oxymoron, or an unattainable goal, but what I think this is, is a show of our dedication towards something better. WE are showing the rest of the world that we will not stand for the status quo any longer, that we want things to change, and that WE, amongst all others, believe in the rights of all of mankind to live without fear. Thank you, I now open the floor to the representatives of other nations." He stepped down, and took his seat.

Major General Thomas Johns stands and he straightens his tie. He feels uncomfortable out of uniform, but he musters up the dignity afforded to him by years of hard training and indoctrination prior to saying, "This meeting is already a farce and will continue to be so until the world stops excusing Promised Land for the wanton murder of 533 civilians." Having said what he feels is needed he nods to Anthony Davis and departs. He'll not waste his time with the double dealing scum of the world who only seek to protect their treaties at the expense of justice.

Once in the air he orders a strong drink before calling for his secure phone to conduct important business.

Evangeline Di Lavenza, arriving late from the Asian Summit in Yakutsk showed up nearly out of breath, but she was ready to begin the conference with a flame. Recently, the Lady Protector had announce her policies on nuclear and biological weapons, but it seemed either to have caught on perfectly or absolutely ignored. It was Evangeline's job to repeat it again to the ladies and gentlemen of the world who had either missed it, or chose not to listen.

She never even sat down. "My apologize Your Excellencies, the traveling routine of the Lady Protector I've found to be very drilling so you'll have to excuse me." Evangeline said with a chuckle. "Recently, Her Ladyship has announced what could be taken as at least as a proposal to the world on the use of nuclear weapons and biological weapons." She took out a piece of paper from her pocket and narrowed her eyes.

"As you all know, the recent attack on Somalian citizens by rogues in Promised Land has been condemned by much of the world. However this is not the first biological and or nuclear attack launched in our lifetime. Must I bring up the horrors of the Great European War where Gebiv, Rebel Army, the United Francoist Empire, and the Hansa were laid waste by nuclear weapons. Then once again, I may bring up our recent history where Brisbane had been attacked by biological weapons at the end of the Mariehamm War.

Many of you have already cut off trade with Promised Land, many of you have already condemned them personally for this attack. But do not many of you also have nuclear weapons, don't many of you also have biological weapons. I have already heard the various excuses coming from countries around the world. We need them for research, we need them for defense, we need them for development." She shook her head. "No! You need them for intimidation. War is extremely difficult because of treaty webs these days. Even the recent war in Indochina went through much grilling before the Dragon Empire finally placed troops on the front. But a purely aggressive would easily be shot down these days.

If you have either nuclear weapons or biological weapons you have the options to use them and you in the process will kill thousands if not millions of people with their uses. People complain that these attacks were done, governments explain that they are sorry for such attacks. You want to solve this? Here's the answer. STOP PRODUCING NUCLEAR WEAPONS AND BIOLOGICAL WEAPONS!

Most of you will not even consider this though, because you like the power of being able to rain hellfire down on your enemies, though I agree it is not fair for one nation to give them up and the rest of the world refuse. If this is to be done, it must require the cooperation of the entire community. Which would make this unrealistic. However, wars were fought before without the use of nuclear warfare or biological warfare. But now countries can hide behind that great mushroom cloud.

I'm sorry if this sounds a little undiplomatic, but it seems to be the only way to get something across to politicians that flex their nuclear muscle any time an event comes up.

Stop these attacks, change your policy. It's a simple statement, but I would be hard pressed to see any country on earth attempt to live up to it."

Adam stood up- "Sorry we cannot even think of discussing such a topic in the parliament. Nuclear weapons is needed for our safety and we shall never decommission them."

"Do you not have defensive treaties signed with neighbors to deter nations from attacking you. The world is extremely heinous against those using missiles for first strikes. What fear do you have from your neighbors? The Dragon Empire who has shown no signs of aggressive action and if you look at Khmer, Khmer caused both attacks themselves. Buryatia who has never used any such weapons in the past. Or the Hansa who does not even possess nuclear weapons. What safety is there?"

The issue as we see it is the fearmongering that such weapons imbibe in their very nature. Would you use nuclear weapons on a civilian target? Would you be responsible for the deaths of tens, if not hundreds of thousands, of non-combatants?

Nuclear weapons have their uses in war, but devastating cities full of innocent civilians should not be one of them.

Edited by Silhouette

We appear to be getting a little bit off topic in any case. I do have a proposition. The White Cross has long been a provider of aid to those in need, as such, I propose a slight ammendment to their duties, should the organisation wish to accept it. The White Cross could provide medical support to injured combatants, and insure that all rules and strictures that may be laid down in this agreement are followed to the letter. For example humane treatment of prisoners.

"New Zealand does not have our own standing army, although one is being trained," Ata said. "Our current military provider has extreme penalties in place for anybody who even attempts to harm a civilian, much less use chem or bio weapons. Our nuclear weaponry consists of small-scale missiles only for the defense of our islands. In face, we have placed safeguards on our missiles to make sure that they cannot extend too far from our borders." She shook her head.

"Until the majority of the nations in the world agree to a set of rules, there are no 'rules of war', I'm afraid. New Zealand and our military providers already hold ourselves to high standards of conduct, one of the main reasons why we refuse to let anything through to Promised Land through our waters. Incompetence is not an excuse."