CNRP Cultures/ethnic groups

iamthey

In the past CNRP has been presumed to not be the real world other than it is governed by the same natural laws, and shares similar social constructs (religions, ideologies, technologies ect) but that historically things may be entirely different, ethic groups of Europe could originat out of china, or heavy Chinese population could be living in North America and so forth. The details of a given area were basically left to the land holder to specify. Recently however there has been a growing trend of outside nations making claims of particular ethic groups or cultural groups existing where a nation is, and forcibly altering a persons RP based on their geographical location. Examples, African nationalism and European nationalism. That being said what should the general rule be? Does an individual with a piece of land have sovereignty over their RP, along with wiping powers that let them re-write a particular piece of land's history, ethnic make up, cultural background and so forth, or are they bound to that land's history, and RL ethnic/cultural make up?

I personally continue to advocate RPer sovereignty, and flexibility, but I was interested in what everyone else thought.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At present our population consists off:

90% Ethnic Dutch (including Flemish)

5% Frisians

4 % French (most of them in Brussels and French Flanders)

1% Foreign nationals residing in the Netherlands (mainly Prussian)

Edited by DeRaadspensionaris

At present our population consists off:

90% Ethnic Dutch (including Flemish)

5% Frisians

4 % French (most of them in Brussels and French Flanders)

1% Foreign nationals residing in the Netherlands (mainly Prussian)

The thread was more geared at asking people's opinions on how culture should be RP'd and who should have a say rather than the cultural make up of everyone's country. Just wanted to point that out to keep it on point. :P

That being said what should the general rule be?

Common Sense.

Does an individual with a piece of land have sovereignty over their RP, along with wiping powers that let them re-write a particular piece of land's history, ethnic make up, cultural background and so forth, or are they bound to that land's history, and RL ethnic/cultural make up?

I personally continue to advocate RPer sovereignty, and flexibility, but I was interested in what everyone else thought.

Imo, they should *try* to keep the land's history right, but they are free to gradually change the present and future of the bit of land they own. RL-stuff should be respected as well, because most of our world's history before 1900 was like IRL. The 20th century has no real concensus afaik, but most people here agree that much before 1900 happened as it did, from what I know.

I RP accordingly.

Common Sense.

Imo, they should *try* to keep the land's history right, but they are free to gradually change the present and future of the bit of land they own. RL-stuff should be respected as well, because most of our world's history before 1900 was like IRL. The 20th century has no real concensus afaik, but most people here agree that much before 1900 happened as it did, from what I know.

I RP accordingly.

I agree, I have always RP'd local populations from real life or rp'ers the exception being Aztecs in South America but on all other matters yeah RL.

Well, I RP pretty much to the demographics in reality, with one exception; There is a large Italian minority in my nation from some war that's name I cannot remember.

Frankly, except for that period of time where almost every nation in the world was either German or Japanese, the way people RP the nationalities in their country doesn't bother me. I RP a fairly nationalist nation, but if someone else wants to RP Norwegians, go right ahead.

Edited by Il Terra Di Agea

Common Sense.

I RP accordingly.

I agree, common sense is the best way to go about it.

IMO, you should RP whatever ethnicity/culture you want, but like Lynneth said, you should use common sense when doing so. For instance, I RP that there are two major ethnic groups in my nation: New England American and New Netherland Dutch. :P

For the Marscurian Empire, I totally messed up the ethnicities, with the largest groups being European Jews and Arabs. For Marscurian Pakistan, I'm trying to make it more real life. I basically took all the Pakistani ethnicities and grouped them all as Urdus, and they are the largest ethicity in my country. However, I still have a very large percentage (around 35%) of my country as still Ashkenzi Jews from the old Marscurian Empire.

The ruling has always been that the player in control of the land has absolute right over what goes on there. You cannot force culture or history on them if they are a new player. If they are an existing player and they take over the land via conquest or transaction, they have to address the issue.

Yes, that is the current ruling. I would like to modify my statement, saying that if it is an RP'er that is new, they wouldn't be made to conform, of course, but any other, who should have some idea of the region, should at least attempt to conform to continuity.

I started out mirroring the RL demographics of the territory under my control and then let RP influence any changes.

Also, whenever I have annexed territory of a former nation, I tried to maintain their demograpics as well out of respect for the own RP. For example, our Zambian territory's demographics don't mirror RL because of the two states (Franzharia and Seventh Reich) which have also controlled the territory at points in its history. Likewise in Southern Namibia there are still a few dozen transplanted Cherokee Indians living there as reminants of the nation of Cherokee Namibia which owned southern Namibia at one point around a year and a half ago.

I'd like to mention the unfortunate event of the Seventh Reich....absolutely unnecessary and should be shunned OOC'ly and IC'ly...having an active discussion in someone's DoE about moving them elsewhere... over my dead body :war:

Those were in-character actions with in-character reasoning behind them. :)

I don't think people should just wipe previous nations' ethnicities if the previous nations were established and RPed a decent bit. Like for example if, when Nordland collapsed, a new nation popped up with an 80% Chinese population from the start, that wouldn't be cool. Personally I haven't had a problem with this though because I was the first person to claim Madagascar.

If you want to change the ethnic makeup of a region at least RP mass migrations to whatever countries will take them, so there is at least some continuity.

I roleplay an ethnic mix, much like America is for my nation.

Also...

I think that RPers should be allowed to RP whatever damn ethnicity they want. Alvonia, one of my last nations (I don't count Pangong/Fourth Reich) had a mixed European ethnicity. Here's the breakdown:

60% German

28% Italian

1% Russian

1% Other

= 90% there... you're missing 10% of your population. :awesome:

Those were in-character actions with in-character reasoning behind them. :)

I don't think people should just wipe previous nations' ethnicities if the previous nations were established and RPed a decent bit. Like for example if, when Nordland collapsed, a new nation popped up with an 80% Chinese population from the start, that wouldn't be cool. Personally I haven't had a problem with this though because I was the first person to claim Madagascar.

If you want to change the ethnic makeup of a region at least RP mass migrations to whatever countries will take them, so there is at least some continuity.

OOC'ly or IC'ly, forcing someone to change their RP to suit their own RP is stupid... no offense of course to you or anyone else involved in that debacle

You have a point, but of course, this would force the new RPer, not previously familiar with CNRP, to do some research on who previously owned his newfound territory... I highly doubt people would start doing this... I wouldn't

Edited by Executive Minister

OOC'ly or IC'ly, forcing someone to change their RP to suit their own RP is stupid... no offense of course to you or anyone else involved in that debacle

You have a point, but of course, this would force the new RPer, not previously familiar with CNRP, to do some research on who previously owned his newfound territory... I highly doubt people would start doing this... I wouldn't

Is it too much to ask from someone to search for a factbook as most people have?