The GMs Court

hawk11

[quote name='Maelstrom Vortex' date='24 June 2010 - 04:12 PM' timestamp='1277392325' post='2348743']
Actually, technically, I should know the nation of origin because if you fail a spy attack it gives you that. Thus I should know the attack originated from Novak, problem is it's being carried out by a mad man.
[/quote]

It depends on the way its RP'd. Again another problem with our spy system. IG the roll has an option failed but identity preserved... so yeah.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 Spyrolls against iamthey.

http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=87069&view=findpost&p=2348669

To determine whether or not the information released by iamthey is true.

[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Lynneth_del_Serpentas/AE/Thing254.png"][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Lynneth_del_Serpentas/AE/th_Thing254.png[/img][/url]

Click the thumbnail to get the full pic.
Also, as this is a roll between GMs, ITDA will have to do it.

Use http://www.random.org/

[quote name='iamthey' date='24 June 2010 - 09:19 AM' timestamp='1277392775' post='2348751']
It depends on the way its RP'd. Again another problem with our spy system. IG the roll has an option failed but identity preserved... so yeah.
[/quote]

I still stand by my principle that anyone using spy rolls of any sort still needs to rp the spy operation or it never happened. The spy roll should only mean, You will succeed if you carry through with your rp properly. Meaning, if you are so clearly a doophus who thinks a winning plan is that he can walk his spy up to the front gate of my secret facility and say, "Cheerio ol' bean I'm from such and such country and I'm afraid, dreadfully afraid, you are just going to have to let me have your secret plan," you might just have a huge problem justifying that.

But if you put some effort into your story, the spy roll indicates you should win so long as you don't do anything too clueless. But really, the burden is up to you to come up with something more than banging on my front door.

For some reason should anyone use them against me I'll have to insist on this. Ask EM, he tried to use one on me and I told him to do his bit to rp it first and then we'd see if it was needed. He never got that far, but I was more than willing to let him take a shot at my leader had he carried through with some good RP to make for a good story.

All these one post nuke/rage/headshot/boom business is boring.

Edited by Tidy Bowl Man

[quote name='Lynneth' date='24 June 2010 - 08:22 AM' timestamp='1277392946' post='2348753']
2 Spyrolls against iamthey.

http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=87069&view=findpost&p=2348669

To determine whether or not the information released by iamthey is true.

[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Lynneth_del_Serpentas/AE/Thing254.png"][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Lynneth_del_Serpentas/AE/th_Thing254.png[/img][/url]

Click the thumbnail to get the full pic.
Also, as this is a roll between GMs, ITDA will have to do it.

Use http://www.random.org/
[/quote]
1-70 ---> Win
71-100 ---> Fail

[IMG]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd337/Voi-Asino/SpyRollLynneth.png[/IMG]
First is a Success, second is a failure

[quote name='Maelstrom Vortex' date='24 June 2010 - 10:12 AM' timestamp='1277392325' post='2348743']
Actually, technically, I should know the nation of origin because if you fail a spy attack it gives you that. Thus I should know the attack originated from Novak, problem is it's being carried out by a mad man.
[/quote]

Not only is this wrong, but it's wrong on the flip side as well. If you fail a spy attack, it [b]might[/b] release your identity. Likewise, if you win a spy attack, it [b]might[/b] release your identity anyway.

[quote name='Maelstrom Vortex' date='24 June 2010 - 11:12 AM' timestamp='1277392325' post='2348743']
[/quote]

Well the way I see it is that there had to be some papertrail. Use your own spy rolls to discover who was responsible, then invade thier neighbor. It's the American thing to do.

[quote name='Justinian the Mighty' date='24 June 2010 - 03:22 PM' timestamp='1277407320' post='2348958']
Well the way I see it is that there had to be some papertrail. Use your own spy rolls to discover who was responsible, then invade thier neighbor. It's the American thing to do.
[/quote]

You have a choice between NoN and Lavo. :awesome:

[quote name='Subtleknifewielder' date='24 June 2010 - 04:22 PM' timestamp='1277410947' post='2349023']
Ideally, i think there should be two rolls for every spy attempt...one to determine its success, and the other to see if the identity is kept secret.
[/quote]

Ideally we would rely on whom among us has the better rp to determine if acts of espionage and terrorism are successful, not silly spy rolls.

[quote name='Justinian the Mighty' date='24 June 2010 - 06:28 PM' timestamp='1277429276' post='2349333']
Ideally we would rely on whom among us has the better rp to determine if acts of espionage and terrorism are successful, not silly spy rolls.
[/quote]
Highly, Highly Seconded.

I would always rather RP something like this out rather than let it all be random.

[quote name='Il Terra Di Agea' date='24 June 2010 - 10:10 PM' timestamp='1277431821' post='2349420']
Highly, Highly Seconded.

I would always rather RP something like this out rather than let it all be random.
[/quote]

Then how do we determine when someone is just making up security measures on the spot?

[quote name='Voodoo Nova' date='24 June 2010 - 10:24 PM' timestamp='1277432632' post='2349434']
Then how do we determine when someone is just making up security measures on the spot?
[/quote]

I agree. Whether or not successful rolls translate into inattentive guards or superior hacking technology used in an RP, we need an 'initiator' to force someone to stop dicking around and RP damages from a legitimate attack.

[quote name='Voodoo Nova' date='24 June 2010 - 07:24 PM' timestamp='1277432632' post='2349434']
[/quote]
Therein lies the problem, and one of two things that hold back my wonderful little fantasy idea of how things should ideally be run. Short of requiring everyone to RP everything to a ridiculous degree that I recognize is simply not feasible(RPing every corporation that has ever made anything for your military, rping every footfall of your soldiers, every satellite in orbit, every command center, etc), you couldn't.

[quote name='Justinian the Mighty' date='24 June 2010 - 06:28 PM' timestamp='1277429276' post='2349333']
[/quote]
Hey, i would be for that if people wouldn't then abuse THAT system. However...

How the spy roll is [i]supposed[/i] to work now is that a successful one just means that if you RP properly with no ridiculous mistakes, you're in and doing whatever it is you wanted to do.

Here's the thing. If we just have RP determine what wins or not, we're going to have what I call the proboards effect. Two people will fight forever, defending each others blows or attacks with more and more posts, and nothing will ever get done. Rolling and random numbers make it so people can't do that, and so everything is predetermined. RP shouldn't determine everything.

[quote name='Vince Sixx' date='25 June 2010 - 12:41 AM' timestamp='1277440878' post='2349691']
Here's the thing. If we just have RP determine what wins or not, we're going to have what I call the proboards effect. Two people will fight forever, defending each others blows or attacks with more and more posts, and nothing will ever get done. Rolling and random numbers make it so people can't do that, and so everything is predetermined. RP shouldn't determine everything.
[/quote]

I believe RP and the rolls should go hand in hand. The RP starts and the situation is prepared. Then you use the spyrolls.

[quote name='Voodoo Nova' date='24 June 2010 - 09:44 PM' timestamp='1277441054' post='2349695']
I believe RP and the rolls should go hand in hand. The RP starts and the situation is prepared. Then you use the spyrolls.
[/quote]
And you should still RP it out...then if you don't mess up you are successful.

[quote name='Voodoo Nova' date='25 June 2010 - 11:49 AM' timestamp='1277491772' post='2350213']
Thanks Corporal Obvious.^_^

That was my point.
[/quote]
Oh really? Then why was there no mention of AFTER the roll? You said set up the situation is prepared, the RP starts...THEN do the roll...but nothing about after.

[quote name='Subtleknifewielder' date='25 June 2010 - 03:59 PM' timestamp='1277495924' post='2350275']
Oh really? Then why was there no mention of AFTER the roll? You said set up the situation is prepared, the RP starts...THEN do the roll...but nothing about after.
[/quote]

Because it sounds obvious? :P