Biggest alliance mess up of all time?

Otherworld

Polaris committed a big one when Assington resigned, and placed Sponge back in power instead of Random or Slashes. I honestly believe the festering resentment towards Sponge exploded when he came back to power.

Slashes and I are very intolerant of the kind of abuse and hostility shown towards us by the rest of One Vision. Sponge, Slashes, Grub, myself, I am convinced we all would have come to the same end. Perhaps it would have come at a different time and involved different players, but the end would not change. Anyone who would sit around and take the abuse they dished out wouldn't be fit to lead an alliance like Polar.

To answer the question, I would have to say the decision to coup Ivan and reinstate Moo as Emperor of the NPO. The Unjust War, the canceling of the OoO, Second Patriotic War against Polar, and now the NPO's current state all track back to that decision. One based in selfishness and fear. had Moo's IOs been able to make the personal sacrifice and allow Ivan to fix the NPO, things would be far different for them.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NPO declaring war on OV made me face palm myself. It was such an obvious trap.

It was not as clear cut and dry as you would think. There was no trap involved and at one point, it looked as if "karma", which wasn't invented yet, was in trouble.

Can somebody explain this roughly to me?

Must have been on a break from CN when it happened.

Yeah, it's probably the worst screwup in the time I've been in CN.

http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/BDC-BC_War

http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/The_Shadow_Conspiracy

It didn't have that many serious consequences however, other than driving a bit of a wedge between CDT and the Polars.

Much worse in terms of effects was Sponge swearing at Ardus. I suspect that Sponge could have done exactly the same thing as he wanted to when Ardus wanted Chickenzilla expelled for spying on VE; what got everything turned around was the fact that Sponge swore at him. If Sponge had just politely said "We don't think revealing information from parts of your forums that non-members are masked to see is spying" the whole thing might well have gone in a similar manner to the NPO-OV war, with the VE playing the part of the NPO.

Yeah, it's probably the worst screwup in the time I've been in CN.

http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/BDC-BC_War

http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/The_Shadow_Conspiracy

It didn't have that many serious consequences however, other than driving a bit of a wedge between CDT and the Polars.

Much worse in terms of effects was Sponge swearing at Ardus. I suspect that Sponge could have done exactly the same thing as he wanted to when Ardus wanted Chickenzilla expelled for spying on VE; what got everything turned around was the fact that Sponge swore at him. If Sponge had just politely said "We don't think revealing information from parts of your forums that non-members are masked to see is spying" the whole thing might well have gone in a similar manner to the NPO-OV war, with the VE playing the part of the NPO.

Ardus had it coming. I'd of done the same thing, and anyone who would have sat through that calmly and taken it shouldn't be in charge of an alliance. It was a trap and a beatdown and there's no reason anyone should have to tolerate that.

If Sponge had just politely said "We don't think revealing information from parts of your forums that non-members are masked to see is spying" the whole thing might well have gone in a similar manner to the NPO-OV war, with the VE playing the part of the NPO.

Very unlikely. All Sponge swearing did was provide an excuse to accelerate the timeline. A war on Polar in my opinion was basically inevitable, mostly because of some of their actions post UJW till recent events at the time. In the grand scheme of things, I don't consider it a very important event nor a colossal blunder, as the inevitable still would have occurred.

Ardus had it coming. I'd of done the same thing, and anyone who would have sat through that calmly and taken it shouldn't be in charge of an alliance. It was a trap and a beatdown and there's no reason anyone should have to tolerate that.

An alliance leader shouldn't forget diplomacy and how it should be initiated, because their alliance will quickly create more enemies than allies. We see this continuously, that is, alliance leaders lacking diplomacy they once were careful with and thus it starts to deteriorate from there. ;)

Though I respect ES, this is more so of an opinion I have on lack of diplomacy rather than that specific situation in question, though I wished to chime in. If you start to become aggressively verbal and insulting, you give your enemy more of an argument than you have on them.

And as Biggie Smalls stated, I don't think this was a big deal either.

Edited by Ejayrazz

Heh.

I give you 1 out of 2. I think Sponge should have sat through that calmly and not taken it. ;)

He could have done exactly the same thing without swearing. It was the swearing that got so many people to cancel on Polar.

And yes, that whole summer did convince me that CN is based on Grade 8.

An alliance leader shouldn't forget diplomacy and how it should be initiated, because their alliance will quickly create more enemies than allies. We see this continuously, that is, alliance leaders lacking diplomacy they once were careful with and thus it starts to deteriorate from there. ;)

Though I respect ES, this is more so of an opinion I have on lack of diplomacy rather than that specific situation in question, though I wished to chime in. If you start to become aggressively verbal and insulting, you give your enemy more of an argument than you have on them.

And as Biggie Smalls stated, I don't think this was a big deal either.

The lack of diplomacy was on both parts though. He met an insult with an insult. So, it's not the high road but I don't see it as an issue where one person alone disregarded diplomacy. I wouldn't have handled it the same exact way, but I wouldn't have done what the VE and One Vision wanted either.

Heh.

I give you 1 out of 2. I think Sponge should have sat through that calmly and not taken it. ;)

He could have done exactly the same thing without swearing. It was the swearing that got so many people to cancel on Polar.

And yes, that whole summer did convince me that CN is based on Grade 8.

I'd say the months of lies being told about Polar had a bit more of an effect than one nasty little swear word. That said I think we all agree it was hardly the biggest alliance mess up of all time, or even the biggest mess up within Polar, so we can move on.

ODN's cancelling of the Ice Lollies Pact. It made not have had a huge effect on Bob (although it certainly have been interesting to see the activation of the treaty during the noCB war) but it certainly has wounded ODN's image for a long time.

ODN's cancelling of the Ice Lollies Pact. It made not have had a huge effect on Bob (although it certainly have been interesting to see the activation of the treaty during the noCB war) but it certainly has wounded ODN's image for a long time.
I'll never sign another defense treaty with them and I know quite a few others who won't either. There is nothing they can do to redeem themselves in my eyes. They're dead to me.

edit: As Viceroy of ODN I formally protest the language used by the Director of the Liquor Cabinet in this post and call for immediate war.

Edited by Electron Sponge

Slashes and I are very intolerant of the kind of abuse and hostility shown towards us by the rest of One Vision. Sponge, Slashes, Grub, myself, I am convinced we all would have come to the same end. Perhaps it would have come at a different time and involved different players, but the end would not change. Anyone who would sit around and take the abuse they dished out wouldn't be fit to lead an alliance like Polar.

Random, I think you don't give yourself enough credit. There are times where you need to soft-sell aggressively. I don't think Sponge could have done that with the history he had. I think you or Slashes might have kept the volcano cooled.

Look, part of the package of being a leader is taking guff from others. You might not like it, but there are ways of dealing with it and not be seen as a patsy or a chump.

I'll never sign another defense treaty with them and I know quite a few others who won't either. There is nothing they can do to redeem themselves in my eyes. They're dead to me.

edit: As Viceroy of ODN I formally protest the language used by the Director of the Liquor Cabinet in this post and call for immediate war.

o/ the most powerful man i CN.

Will you be activating Frostbite?