CNRP OOC Thread

Stormcrow

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='king of cochin' date='15 February 2010 - 10:00 PM' timestamp='1266289239' post='2184100']
Sargun, the attack you conducted would create an artificial radiation belt that would affect the ionosphere and most of the Low Earth Orbit satellites flying in that region. This would mean that neither[b] Rebel Army nor Novak would be able to have any LEO satellites[/b] in that entire sector of the sky.
[/quote]

This would be nice. :awesome:

But just a question, does this EMP effect linger? I don't think so. Also, are my assumptions correct that electronic systems not on at time of detonation would be unaffected?

[quote name='Executive Minister' date='16 February 2010 - 06:35 AM' timestamp='1266298502' post='2184819']
This would be nice. :awesome:

But just a question, does this EMP effect linger? I don't think so. Also, are my assumptions correct that electronic systems not on at time of detonation would be unaffected?
[/quote]

Nope, EMPs do not burn active electronics, they burn anything in the area.

[quote name='Tidy Bowl Man' date='16 February 2010 - 12:27 PM' timestamp='1266319630' post='2185402']
Then it reasons to say that a good chunk of the overhead satellite coverage just got fried as well. Let's not argue about it too much because you can't have your cake unless you eat your brussel sprouts first.
[/quote]

Those in the area of the explosion and not properly shielded, correct.

So on the whole magic things...

Thumbing through the exchange of arguments I realized that this wasn't really resolved. So i'll add my position on the matter. I essentially agree with Lynneth's opinion in that I don't have problem with RP's which concern magic, or spiritualism of some sort as long as there is some way for me to explain it away in a secular positivist examination. If you want to RP an entire cult of people who REALLY believe X is happening/ see X/ X has come back from the dead then that is perfectly fine, as long as the narration of such an RP is either told through the eyes of a limited 3rd person or otherwise bias observer. If however you are using an omnipresent narrator, or the subtext of how you tell it implies that in fact magic is really occurring or ghosts are inhabiting bodies then I have an issue.

In other words I may see Chris Angel walking on water, or levitating, I may see a video of an exorcism, or I may see a documentary on ghosts, but there is always the reality that what I am seeing is not confirmed fact, but instead may be clever editing/use of lighting, a silly person writhing on the ground, or a clever trick. If you want to have people communing with the spirits then perhaps have them use some sort of hallucinogenic drug like the shamans in south america, or have it at least be explainable through some sort of manipulation/delusional episode. If you want 'miracles' to occur then allow for the causal link between the event and the cult be at least open to interpretation as post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. Do not however make truly miraculous events caused by divine intervention occur.

While I think a magic rp would be interesting, and certainly add another dimension to things, it would open up an insane explosion of abusive 'god moding' (badpun). That being said abuse would not simply be limited to true mystic RP's it would extend into all other areas of RP, (if there is no constraint established by what is physically possible, then why shouldn't I be able to make time machines and have alien technology). That being said with respect to the previously established guideline of 'it must be possible in real life'; if you can justify that magic is physically possible, that ghosts truly exist, and that the existence of god figures are not merely based on faith but have grounding in provable observation and theory then feel free to RP the divine walking the earth, otherwise there needs to be some limits on what it is. Mere consensus is not enough to establish fact.

TLDR: OOC magic doesn't exist in RP, however delusions and varying psychological explanations for instances of it do.

Note: Just my position on it.

A bite late to the discussion IAT, but what you are wanting is essentially what the cult has matured into via the refinement of the concept. It's not very new-testament god-like to use much in the way of 'magic' anyhow. More.. 'coincidental causality' events that can be interpreted a multitude of ways. Like people seeing the visage of Christ/Mary what have you in various objects. While I personally believe they're just coincidence.. there's a good bulk fo thew orld that does not.

The great challenge is garnering faith without destroying it, for the moment there is knowledge of god the need of faith in god is gone; the great puzzle/mystery/challenge solved.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

[quote name='JEDCJT' date='22 February 2010 - 10:23 PM' timestamp='1266895404' post='2198408']
Man, CNRP has been getting a bit boring for me lately. There isnt much for me to post in my news thread, except for progress on my fortification projects. :/
[/quote]

Outside causes tend to make our little world slow down. :(

[quote name='JEDCJT' date='23 February 2010 - 03:23 AM' timestamp='1266895404' post='2198408']
Man, CNRP has been getting a bit boring for me lately. There isnt much for me to post in my news thread, except for progress on my fortification projects. :/
[/quote]

War makes us all less bold :/.

[quote name='JEDCJT' date='22 February 2010 - 10:19 PM' timestamp='1266895404' post='2198408']
[/quote]

I can fix that real fast.. *prepares a wave of cultists?*

RE: Uberstein: I might just.. I love specialized tanks.. might make a few improvements though.. lol.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

[quote name='Voodoo Nova' date='22 February 2010 - 07:39 PM' timestamp='1266896569' post='2198420']
Outside causes tend to make our little world slow down. :(
[/quote]

True dat. :/

[quote name='Acca Dacca' date='22 February 2010 - 08:06 PM' timestamp='1266898188' post='2198467']
broken arm, so doing long rps arent really "fun" with one hand. I'll be back to plotting when i come back, JED, just for you.
[/quote]

Aw, I feel special. :awesome:
(by the way, sorry about your arm)

[quote name='SpacingOutMan' date='23 February 2010 - 12:55 PM' timestamp='1266958747' post='2199545']
Yeaaa...

I am assuming most RPers are somehow involved in this cluster$%&@ of a war.
[/quote]

Not me. Still 79k strong, and in lots of Tech Deals. I'm like the United States during and after WWII. :smug:

[quote name='Maelstrom Vortex' date='23 February 2010 - 11:19 PM' timestamp='1266996159' post='2201051']
I can fix that real fast.. *prepares a wave of cultists?*
[/quote]

Bring it on. :ph34r:

Edited by JEDCJT

[quote name='BaronUberstein' date='23 February 2010 - 09:49 PM' timestamp='1266990785' post='2200685']
[img]http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/japan/experimental-special3-kuro.jpg[/img]

I suggest people start using these. [img]http://forums.cybernations.net/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif[/img]
[/quote]
Ooh, cool...[img]http://forums.cybernations.net/public/style_emoticons/default/awesome.gif[/img]