Two Month or Three Month Rounds?

[quote name='Lord Klusman' timestamp='1313874830' post='2785255']
If you give 3 month a go I suggest you change the attack ranges to where you can only down declare 66% of your current NS, but allow any nation to up declare on any NS range higher than your NS [b][u]NO LIMIT[/u][/b]. (this will stop people from getting out of range)
[/quote]

No, unlimited range will cause the top nations to be slot filled the entire round.

As discussed in the past, a 75%/200% formula would be perfect. The idea of TE is to attack up, not down, but not so far up you're just sitting there getting pummeled.

I'd like to see some experimenting with nuclear anarchy being removed or altered this round, therefore we can slug it out for 5 days and potentially go right back to war after your wars expire if you're prepared/not in anarchy.

I'd also like to see peace penalties, much like in SE when you're in hippy mode for an extended period, the same should occur when you abstain from war in TE for a period of time.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Confusion' timestamp='1313864997' post='2785160']
Please make sure no one can get WRC+MP in the first month.

Eg. Day 1: NRL, Day 11: Pentagon, Day 22: MP, Day 33: WRC.
[/quote]

Don't see why that would be a problem unless someone is trying to avoid getting hit before their month anni. Admin could either keep the days between wonders the same (if he intends to have nations get higher NS), or have them go every 15 days if he wanted to keep the same amount of wonders in the game.

I wouldn't mind a three month round, but I think there will be too wide a spread of NS with the current start up funds.

Guys who avoid war for the first 30 days could easily outgrow the rest of TE. Something would need to change to balance out TE. I don't know how well a war penalty would work out- as that encourages a guy raiding/down declaring the entire round, which probably isn't good for TE either.

I also still support that casualty count have influence for the winner of TE.

Also, Admin, are you going to give us a little bit of notice of the changes before the round actually begins?

Edited by bcortell

I like the idea of 3 month rounds, gives new options for wonder progression, gives alliances more options to fit even more wars into a round, as is, it never fails that alot of alliances have three wars falling around days 7-10, 25-35, and the last 10 days of the round.

Longer rounds will give two things, you'll have some alliances that war more frequently, some that will space their wars to be more effective/destructive Would be an interesting twist.

Edited by memoryproblems

I think most who and asking for 3 months never played 3 month rounds before or don't remember how much of a long slog those rounds were, and are just jumping at the idea because its 'something different'.

I too, wouldn't mind a 3 rounder I guess, but much moreso because it would mix it up a bit and present some new challenges to keep things fresh rather than an actual preference over a 2 month time period.

I guess what I'm saying is, a change is as good as a holiday, but I would hate to see it go back to 3 rounds permanently... Luckily it looks like admin is keen to spice things up every few rounds, which is making a real difference for the long term players :)

[quote name='lonewolfe2015' timestamp='1313878768' post='2785289']
I'd like to see some experimenting with nuclear anarchy being removed or altered this round, therefore we can slug it out for 5 days and potentially go right back to war after your wars expire if you're prepared/not in anarchy.

I'd also like to see peace penalties, much like in SE when you're in hippy mode for an extended period, the same should occur when you abstain from war in TE for a period of time.
[/quote]

I think Nuclear Anarchy is as short as you can make it really, if you get Rad cleanup and buy a FSS then you can escape nuclear anarchy one day after your last nuke... and if its a 90 day round, buying a FSS for the purpose won't set you back to much either.

Some kind of penalty for never going to war would be interesting I guess... Maybe a happiness bonus tied to your casualty count... 0.00002 happiness for every casualty (max +10)... so with half a million casualties (doable in a 3 month round) you would top out at +10 happiness...

Two months is just about right. Some alliances get too powerful after around 40 days, three months just gives them more time to sit around and hold people's heads under the water.

I wouldn't mind a couple of trial 3 month rounds, though. Cycling between two and three month rounds could be fun too and mix up strategies a little.

I think something that would be of interest would be to alternate between 3 month rounds and 2 month rounds, as it would prevent people from using the same strategy round after round, as a 2 month round would require a different mindset then a 3 month round, and vice versa.

As it is, its gotten a little predictable how things are going to go, people have gotten more proficient at growing, but from the viewpoint of the patterns that alliances follow in order to have several wars per round while still having adequate time between them.

That said, I'd argue against making any other changes to complement a longer round. I'd like to see how things would go with being able to purchase more wonders, from the standpoint of alliance vs. alliance, alliances might be less inclined to go real hard in the first two months setting up a month of hard pounding, giving their members time to get big wonders, etc.

Edited by memoryproblems

Can you build logic into the round start process that randomly sets the end date to a number between 60-90 days away? That means the strategy will have to be slightly different every round and not having a multiple of 10 will force people to decide how to deal with anniversaries vs days till the round ends.

[quote name='Awesome Dog' timestamp='1313968036' post='2785824']
How about the round ends without notice sometime between day 60 and 90?
[/quote]
I discussed this with a few other players on IRC a couple weeks back. It would be my preference also out of all of the options.

I would have no problem with giving 90 days a try again. However, I think that you will actually lose more players.

There is a core of players that is probably at about 400 players or less. Then there are new players or players that played once or twice before that join a round. A longer round will result in more nations deleting either due to getting crushed or boredom. And it is these players that are the most likely not to return to TE, especially if they leave the game 30 days or so before the next reset.

I too like the notion of a random, unexpected end to the round, but I think the timing should be a little tighter, like between day 60 and 75 and not 60 and 90.

I also agree that if the round is extended, some re-balancing needs to come into play. Maybe go back to the pre-$5 mil days if extended to 90 days.

Edited by Thomasj_tx

[quote name='admin' timestamp='1313854473' post='2785075']
Which do you all prefer most: two month or three month tournament rounds?
[/quote]
Given the current date, 22nd August, I would suggest the following

Round 19 starts on the 23rd (Aug) and ends 23rd Oct
Round 20 starts on the 24th (Oct) and ends 24th Dec

A 3month TE round starting on the 1st January would be a better time to assess the value of a longer round IMHO.

[b]tl/dr
Doing a 3 month round at this time would mess up round 20 which would be at a critical stage during Christmas & New Year
Please leave a 3 month round 'til after the new year[/b]

[quote name='dealmaster13' timestamp='1314004958' post='2786107']
I fear that if the end date was random, there would be too much emphasis on getting on at updates which may or may not be difficult for some players.
[/quote]

Not to mention how many people would turtle and not go into war (alliances included) because they fear the round may end.

[quote name='SoADarthCyfe6' timestamp='1314019760' post='2786149']
Not to mention how many people would turtle and not go into war (alliances included) because they fear the round may end.
[/quote]
that's the nice thing about PM. It's not really up to you completely whether or not you go to war.

As for the OP...I'd be interested in trying 3 months again.

[quote name='Awesome Dog' timestamp='1313968036' post='2785824']
How about the round ends without notice sometime between day 60 and 90?
[/quote]

For additional hilarity, maybe we could have it end at 90 days by default, then people could build a $20M Doomsday wonder that shortens the lifespan of each round by a day for each wonder built to a minimum of 60 days.

[quote name='MrMuz' timestamp='1314196492' post='2787658']
For additional hilarity, maybe we could have it end at 90 days by default, then people could build a $20M Doomsday wonder that shortens the lifespan of each round by a day for each wonder built to a minimum of 60 days.
[/quote]

1. reach #1 NS
2. have 30 alliance-mates create doomsday wonder at once
3. insta-win

[quote name='Overlord Wes' timestamp='1314213107' post='2787743']
1. reach #1 NS
2. have 30 alliance-mates create doomsday wonder at once
3. insta-win
[/quote]

Yeah, it would have to be really expensive, and doesn't really make sense besides. Nobody would use their own money to buy that for themselves, so only alliance mates would be doing it for their strongest nation.