An Auspicious Occasion

Duncan King

And now a break from your regularly scheduled war...

[i][size="1"]Please forgive me if this is a bit rough, I'm out of practice at public speaking[/size][/i]

[b]Spotlight: February 21, 2007[/b]

Four years ago, Planet Bob was a very different place. This world was polarized between alliances that were members of the Initiative, with VE, NPO, NpO, and GGA, at the helm and the League, led by GATO, LUE, NAAC. The two blocs had fought to a stalemate two weeks before in Great War Two and would spend the next month staring at each other before going at each other again in Great War Three. Although there were some neutral and independent alliances, most notably IRON, GPA, and OPA, the majority of the world was divided into whether you favored the Initiative and the League.

Out of the divisiveness that categorized that time, a new banner rose, a banner that still flies to this day.

[IMG]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff120/duncanking/TFD/TFD_flag.png[/IMG]

The banner rose from the actions of a single player, Tamurin. Tamurin had fought for GATO in Great War Two but then moved to IRON, then an independent alliance. Dissatisfied with what he found in IRON, Tamurin set out to create a new alliance. This alliance would stand against the polarization that had spread across the world and would accept everyone no matter where they were from.

This alliance was The Foreign Division.

Originally, the alliance was a neutral alliance, limiting its involvement in global politics to accepting refugees from wars and fighting rogues. However, as is often the case, that isolation ended when TFD was attacked by an alliance that did not respect its neutrality. That alliance was ITAO and its place in TFD's history is notable only for the relationship that came out of it. At it's time of need, The Foreign Division received help from an unexpected source, an external alliance. That external alliance was the North Atlantic Treaty Organization and that alliance remains TFD's closest friend and ally. As TFD's relationship with NATO grew, it soon began to look outside of its neutrality.

That initial positive contact with NATO was only the beginning. Soon, TFD would treaty NATO in earnest and join the Common Defense Treaty bloc. It would end its practice of staying out of wars and would fight in the War of the Coalition and the Illuminati war. Over the next two years, it would sign treaties with other outside alliances and would participate in other blocs. It would fight in other wars, winning some and losing others. It would grow from a micro alliance in need of protection to an alliance of more than 100 members capable of protecting others. It would see many members join and leave, each of them leaving their mark on the alliance and helping to shape its future. It would grow and change. But through all that time, through war and peace, victory and defeat, success and failure, the alliance remained.

We are aware that four years is not as impressive in a month when alliances from this world's first year are celebrating their fifth birthday, but considering how many people who have come and gone from this world in the last four years, we believe that it is, in its own way, worth celebrating. So happy birthday to us.

[b]All We Want for Our Birthday Is...[/b]

Although the general practice on one's birthday is to receive presents, I believe that it is more appropriate in this case to give some presents. Last month, TFD fought in the as yet unnamed conflict between VE and the NpO. We entered to help our allies in Nueva Vida in their war against Sparta and we were consequentially attacked by the Mostly Harmless Alliance. As a result of the war, we lost over 1 million NS, 200,000 infra structure, and 50,000 technology. We were successful in our goal of taking the pressure off of Sparta but in the end had to surrender under the pressure of the not so harmless but very numerous MHA members.

The war may not have turned out as well as we hoped, but we did in the end survive it. And we couldn't have done it if our members were not willing so sacrifice their strength, infra, tech, and land to protect their alliance. And it is that sacrifice that I am honoring today.

The following nations sacrificed more than 50% of their Strength, Infra, Tech, or Land in the last war:

[i]Strength[/i]

Cayen
circlewood
Firebolt
General Agapinoras
guandi
Longhorn
Mark Arac
Martin the warrior
Mephala
Metictype
Muddy Rivers
Panzelord
Reza Shah
shadoestriker
stevo
Stronghold
sturtyboy
SupremePrince
Tora the 1st

[i]Infra[/i]

Archelaus
Arkady of Phobos
Barron von Hammer
Cadieness
caliber38
circlewood
claphamsa
Connor Grey
Council of Ten
Datios
Dr.Gamer
Duncan King
Firebolt
Galamoth
General Agapinoras
Illius Vander
Javayvarman
Johnnydriver
King Phil II
KingAdam
lasecki22
lildawggy
Longhorn
Mark Arac
Martin the warrior
Mephala
Metictype
MrSka
Muddy Rivers
Panzelord
Platinumviper
Reza Shah
shadoestriker
Shermeyer
stevo
Stronghold
sturtyboy
SupremePrince
tagmoute
The Iggy
Tora the 1st

[i]Tech[/i]

danger4546
Datios
Dr DiNozzo
elonardo
Filibuster
General Agapinoras
Golden Eagle
guandi
jakjak2525
Longhorn
Mark Arac
Martin the warrior
Mephala
Muddy Rivers
Panzelord
Powerfull1
Reza Shah
shadoestriker
stevo
sume gai
SupremePrince
Zappo

[i]Land[/i]

Admiral Saarimaa
Barron von Hammer
Cadieness
claphamsa
Connor Grey
Council of Ten
Datios
Duncan King
FarmGirl
Fauwkes
Firebolt
Galamoth
GearHead
George Sears
gerry71
Illius Vander
Johnnydriver
johnrmcgee3
juiceyx87
KingAdam
LetsHunt
lildawggy
Mephala
Metictype
MrSka
Nab1iggle
Platinumviper
shadoestriker
Shermeyer
Stronghold
tagmoute
Tamurin
The Iggy
Zerosoldier

and the following nations answered the call and fought at least one opponent:

Admiral Saarimaa
Archelaus
Arkady of Phobos
Barkeaters
Barron von Hammer
Cadieness
caliber38
Cayen
Chris Marffy
Circlewood
Civ216
claphamsa
Connor Grey
Council of Ten
danger4546
Darius Ivar Cromwell
Datios
DaxNico
Deanish
Delta
dome1
Dr DiNozzo
Dr.Gamer
Duncan King
elonardo
Farmgirl
Fauwkes
Filibuster
Firebolt
Galamoth
gargoyle2k7
Gearhead
General Agapinoras
George Sears
gerry71
GoddessOfLinn
Golden Eagle
gpn777
Grand Lord of Funk
guandi
Herbert
Hezron
Illius Vander
ionparticle
Jake2345
Javayvarman
Johnnydriver
johnrmcgee3
Jomisari
juiceyx87
Kevin Dunne
King Phil II
KingAdam
lasecki22
letshunt
lildawggy
Longhorn
Lusitan
Mark Arac
Martin the Warrior
Mephala
Metictype
mike717
mikethebassguy
Mordaloch
MrSka
Muaddib Atreides
Muddy Rivers
Murcivalmitch
Nab1iggle
nationals96
neonthefox
odexi
Onified
Owt Wowmahs
Panzelord
PearlJam81
Pilltland
Platinumviper
President James Smit
prithvi
Progmode
Revol
Reza Shah
Ronjoy
shadoestriker
Shermeyer
shortstar
Sir Volpe
SirDunne
stevo
Stronghold
sturtyboy
sume gai
SupremePrince
tagmoute
Tamurin
The Iggy
The Parasite
The Viriato Dynasty
Tora the 1st
Valandil
Vorlande
willy81
Wormid
wtuanmu
Zappo
Zerosoldier

I would like to personally thank them for their sacrifice and wish them good luck in their rebuilding.

[i]... You may now return to your regularly scheduled war.[/i]

Edited by Duncan King

[quote name='rapmanej' timestamp='1298350058' post='2641395']
Land, are you kidding me? Who keeps track of land?
[/quote]
PC.

Also, congrats on 4 years TFD, didn't realise you guys have been around that long.

Also, ** Veteran of GWII, GWIII, Unjust War, WoTC, Karma,TOP-CNG, and VE-[b]NPO[/b] as well as many smaller conflicts. *** Wrong p there DK.

[quote name='rapmanej' timestamp='1298350058' post='2641395']
Land, are you kidding me? Who keeps track of land?

Regardless, Happy Birthday!
[/quote]
Platinum Viper does.

[quote name='WorldConqueror' timestamp='1298350245' post='2641400']
Also, congrats on 4 years TFD, didn't realise you guys have been around that long.

Also, ** Veteran of GWII, GWIII, Unjust War, WoTC, Karma,TOP-CNG, and VE-[b]NPO[/b] as well as many smaller conflicts. *** Wrong p there DK.
[/quote]
You're all the same for me to me. :(( Orders :((

Typo fixed. ;)

Edited by Duncan King

...and we'll keep on chuggin' :awesome:

As for the special awards (land..*cough*) - those are the result of some very diligent spreadsheet and stats gathering over the past. We had the info, it was easily accessible, so we made something of it. B-) ...aaand well, if it weren't for the land award, I wouldn't have gotten anything beyond the fighting award. :(

Edited by GearHead