Presentation of the 2010 CN Awards

supercoolyellow

I had a laugh as to the line up of the academy. No insult intended to them, but was a bit strange set up,....

In regards to the awards, no doubt that MK marked the two passed years. But at the same time, not as to win almost all the awards. You can not be moral and immoral at the same time, for example. Its a shame, since I think that only a slightly more objective stance of the voters (all voters, not just MK or something) would bring about a quite decent and respectful yearly event. I know you can do it CN! Which in the end, would bring more respect to the winning alliances then currently just being a joke.

Looking at current results, its not like they are all silly or something. There are some that make no sense, and if some thinking and not drone spam voting was included in them I think this would be a fitting end total.

And as such, my take would be (as if you cared) that in the best military category it was a coin toss between TOP and Umb and I think TOP had to win as they had an edge in sense that they showed their might in action while Umb's still remains just a potential.

Then I dont get why NPO won best diplo. I think that NPO diplo did a fine job, they are fighting isolation and that is always an uphill battle but it all isnt award worthy. Alliances that shaped this world via their diplomatic prowess deserve this type of awards. I dont get this award.

Then I do not get best recruitment award, jerdge already explained. That award makes even less sense then NPO diplo one. Actually that award makes no sense at all.

Best alliance growth, totally coin toss between Umb, GOONS and NPO. Either one deserved it, but either Umb or NPO should have taken that one.

Then most immoral alliance makes no sense at all. If MK is the most moral, it just cant be the most immoral too.

So in alliance categories, "only" 3 awards made not much sense. Which then brings me to my earlier point backed by this example how just some more little common sense and not drone voting would make this a respectful event.

Edited by Branimir

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Rebounder' timestamp='1294903696' post='2573902']
This is quite unbecoming of the average MK member, to say the lease. Rather than standing aghast at the Kingdom's marvelous ability to form a democratic flash mob on the forums, I simply read the OP with contempt for the average MK member for his lack of independent thought. However, if winning these competitions is a high priority for the leaders of the Kingdom, as asinine as that seems to me, I won't issue any type of protest at the hijacking of the awards.
[/quote]

An NPO member commenting on lack of independent thought. Oh this is [i]precious[/i].

[quote name='Lancer' timestamp='1294936480' post='2574110']
An NPO member commenting on lack of independent thought. Oh this is [i]precious[/i].
[/quote]
hurrrr NPO durrrrrr
lol

Well, he might be a member of NPO but he has a point, as also obvious by the fact that you cant address it any way so you proceeded with hurrrr NPO durrr card.
Well played.

But anyway, you deserve most of the awards you got, but by just mindlessly clicking on some creating blatant contradictions (like moral/immoral thing) you brought down the value of your own achievements.

Edited by Branimir

We did get some pretty good members in 2010, for example babyjesus, Banksy, BlackDragon, Epiphanus, Gairyuki, King Puffington, Ninja Colt, Owned-You, Professor Chaos (winner of an award in his own right), SomeGuy, Voytek, and Yevgeni just to name a few. The award isn't for the recruiting staff who recruited the most members, just the best recruiting staff. I'd say quality over quantity can apply to that award as well.

[quote name='Mathias' timestamp='1294936999' post='2574117']I'd say quality over quantity can apply to that award as well.[/quote]
What is completely subjective and unquantifiable. Other alliances recruited also dozens of good members.

I just think that alliance winning this has to have some kind of a tangible net gain of members (not including mergers). That seems self evident and measurable. And in light of the competition given by other alliances in this category, you winning it makes no sense at all. Sorry.

Edited by Branimir

[quote name='Branimir' timestamp='1294937308' post='2574120']
What is completely subjective and unquantifiable. Other alliances recruited also dozens of good members.

I just think that alliance winning this has to have some kind of a tangible net gain of members (not including mergers). That seems self evident and measurable. And in light of the competition given by other alliances in this category, you winning it makes no sense at all. Sorry.
[/quote]

These awards in and of themselves are completely subjective and unquantifiable. Most Immoral Alliance? Most Honorable Alliance? Best Flag? All of these are subjective. Just because the recruiting award is one of the more measurable doesn't mean that it has to or should be objective. Many of the members I listed have been government members in their previous alliances. I'd say that recruiting a small number of high quality members is more worthy of an award than recruiting masses of new players.

[quote name='Mathias' timestamp='1294938294' post='2574132']These awards in and of themselves are completely subjective and unquantifiable. Most Immoral Alliance? Most Honorable Alliance? Best Flag? All of these are subjective. [/quote]
Certainly not all categories are straight forward.

Best recruiting staff though is. Quite a clear cut category.
[quote name='Mathias' timestamp='1294938294' post='2574132']Just because the recruiting award is one of the more measurable doesn't mean that it has to or should be objective. Many of the members I listed have been government members in their previous alliances. I'd say that recruiting a small number of high quality members is more worthy of an award than recruiting masses of new players.[/quote]
No, actually it means exactly that.

I dunno why MK even wants this award. You are not a mass recruiting alliance and have priorities set in different places. I am sorry, but this award makes no sense at all to be given to you.

[quote name='Branimir' timestamp='1294938870' post='2574140']

I dunno why MK even wants this award. You are not a mass recruiting alliance and have priorities set in different places. I am sorry, but this award makes no sense at all to be given to you.
[/quote]

Getting active and valuable members with experience is, imo, better than having gazillion new members who are going to drop of the face of the Earth within the next 25 days. Thus the recruiting award.

Maybe we wanted this award, alongside all the others we racked up, to prove a point. ;)

[quote name='Branimir' timestamp='1294938870' post='2574140']

[/quote]

I'd say it's up to the individual for as much interpretation as the rest of the awards. But that's where we differ, and I doubt either of us will be convincing the other any time soon.

[quote name='oOoMidooOo' timestamp='1294938404' post='2574134']
Another boring awards.. and fake..

Its horrendous. Why ruin awardss like that.. :(
[/quote]
Weren't you in the "academy".

lol
[quote name='potato' timestamp='1294939240' post='2574145']
Getting active and valuable members with experience is, imo, better than having gazillion new members who are going to drop of the face of the Earth within the next 25 days. Thus the recruiting award.

Maybe we wanted this award, alongside all the others we racked up, to prove a point. ;)
[/quote]
Do you even have a net gain of members since last year, man? And that is with a merger lol. This award is quite straight forward. I expect MK members to laugh at alliance winning this, not wanting it considering you cant even muster significantly 200+ members. They are active sure (hence the win in the most active alliance category), but this is for alliances mustering the total numbers.

You are not that alliance.
[quote name='Mathias' timestamp='1294939254' post='2574147']
I'd say it's up to the individual for as much interpretation as the rest of the awards. But that's where we differ, and I doubt either of us will be convincing the other any time soon.[/quote]
Yeah, ok. We can all redefine meaning of stuff to fit exactly what we want all day long.

Edited by Branimir

Most immoral and honorable are dumb awards in my mind, because everyone has a different view of what that means.

Anyways, my main issue with the academy is that it was on a first-come-first serve basis. A real academy is supposed to be "highly qualified" and picking people on a FCFS basis probably won't give you that. I'd just stick with the popular vote from here on out.

[quote name='Branimir' timestamp='1294939615' post='2574155']
Yeah, ok. We can all redefine meaning of stuff to fit exactly what we want all day long.
[/quote]

That's exactly what you're doing. The poll said "Best Recruiting Staff." Not "Best Recruiting Staff in number of members gained," or anything along those lines. Now I find the Best Recruiting Staff to be the one who recruited the best members, and I voted accordingly. I assume you have a different definition of what makes the Best Recruiting Staff, and voted along those lines. I'm simply stating that there is just as much justification for MK to win this award as any of the other alliances nominated.

[quote name='Mathias' timestamp='1294940508' post='2574176']
That's exactly what you're doing. The poll said "Best Recruiting Staff." Not "Best Recruiting Staff in number of members gained," or anything along those lines. Now I find the Best Recruiting Staff to be the one who recruited the best members, and I voted accordingly. I assume you have a different definition of what makes the Best Recruiting Staff, and voted along those lines. I'm simply stating that there is just as much justification for MK to win this award as any of the other alliances nominated.
[/quote]
lol. No. I am defining the category exactly as it is obviously intended to be and understood as such by the majority of this planet I am quite sure.

With that, there is nothing much to be said on the subject.

[quote name='Branimir' timestamp='1294937308' post='2574120']

[/quote]

You understand that the people who judged this contest also think Kelly Clarkson can hold a note and Bristol Plain can dance, right? :smug:

[quote name='Poyplemonkeys' timestamp='1294941470' post='2574189']
Pretty sure most of these great members MK have 'recruited' have gone straight from their old alliance to Mushroom Kingdom. Which raises questions about when these recruiters did their recruiting...
[/quote]

Well then I guess you finally found that CB huh? Time to assemble #stratego again!

[quote name='Duncan King' timestamp='1294914565' post='2573969']
This.

MK did well in the Academy votes, too, so them winning a lot of awards isn't surprising. I think the only thing that really shifted with the polls was that GOONS, Umbrella, and NPO got shoved out of categories that they would otherwise have done well in (diplomatic team, most active, most controversial, alliance of the year).
[/quote]
Do you think any of those alliances you mentioned are more active than MK, and more controversial than GOONS?

[quote name='Duncan King' timestamp='1294914565' post='2573969']
And to all those bawwing about the Academy being weighted by tiny alliances or not being representative, all I can say is that you had your chance and to chose not to participate. You can't complain if you don't show up.
[/quote]
This is the same argument that can be used for just using OWF polls as award determination. I'm not really arguing against you because I don't think you were trying to advocate the academy but I'm just pointing it out for those who do.

Edited by Drai

Do you even have a net gain of members since last year, man? And that is with a merger lol. This award is quite straight forward. I expect MK members to laugh at alliance winning this, not wanting it considering you cant even muster significantly 200+ members. They are active sure (hence the win in the most active alliance category), but this is for alliances mustering the total numbers.
[/quote]
I wasn't going to argue until you tried to smear us with the merger comment by making it seem like we had lost members even with the merger members being counted.

Our peak last year was around 170-175 members, the merger gained us about 40-45 members. We are now sitting at 200. Yes we lost members (a very minimal amount and definitely proportional to the amount most alliances are losing) but don't try and hype it up to us losing over 60.

Edited by Drai

You are not that alliance.

[/quote]

Yes, we do. But, again, it's a matter of quality over quantity. You may not like MK and its members but I, personnally, would take any of our 2010 members over 100 new members. I'd take people who contribute to the community and help within the alliance over a bunch of new people who will mostly disappear within a month. That's where we differ and it's all fine and dandy but the fact that we actually won that award proves that maybe, just maybe, the majority of the voters don't see eye to eye with your definition of what CN's best recruiting staff constitutes.