Announcement from the Blackstone Commission

PotFace

[quote name='SirWilliam' timestamp='1293403427' post='2554701']
Out of respect for the wishes of the final Executive Director of BCOM I will recognize neither notice of protection.

*fixed spelling
[/quote]

Posturing? Or will you really order raids and tangle with CB and OO? Let's see.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Kzoppistan' timestamp='1293404055' post='2554710']
Ooh, now I'm curious. Indulge us of GOONS intentions regarding this AA, if any.
[/quote]

GOONS will respect the protection of course.

I was just turning my nose up at the situation with my comments, not expressing any nefarious intent. ;)

[quote name='Sardonic' timestamp='1293393082' post='2554524']
That's incredibly disrespectful to the dying alliance's wishes. Are they not entitled to determine their final fate?
[/quote]

No.

C'mon Sardonic, do you really care about the supposed "Dignity" of this AA in any way, shape, or form?

[i]C'mon...[/i]

[quote name='Margrave' timestamp='1293404229' post='2554713']
No.

C'mon Sardonic, do you really care about the supposed "Dignity" of this AA in any way, shape, or form?

[i]C'mon...[/i]
[/quote]
I support the assisted suicide of microalliances.

Also don't worry Smooth, GOONS will be honoring the protection, of course.

Edited by Sardonic

[quote name='Margrave' timestamp='1293404229' post='2554713']
No.

[i]C'mon...[/i]
[/quote]

The "dignity" of the Commission isn't something that's left up to someone else.... the way in which it disbanded (allowing the cyberverse to figure out the rest) is pretty dignified imo. Whatever happens afterward doesn't even matter. BCOM is gone. Those who fly its AA aren't alliance members anymore. They're uninformed rogues.

[quote name='Sardonic' timestamp='1293405776' post='2554728']
I support the assisted suicide of microalliances.

Also don't worry Smooth, GOONS will be honoring the protection, of course.
[/quote]

I wasn't worried baby, more aimed at others. :wub:

[quote name='KingEd' timestamp='1293391762' post='2554496']
Merely to facilitate NEW's reading efforts: [b]THIS WOULD BE A LEGAL RAID.[/b]
[/quote]
cus 'em some slack, Ed. the war is ending and everyone who fought had fun no need to drag it out

Good luck to former Blackstone members(i hear Athens is recruiting :P)

[quote name='Sardonic' timestamp='1293395476' post='2554569']
I was under the impression that the OP wanted the members attacked, he since clarified his position. I withdraw my objection.

And no there aren't "plenty" of other nations to raid.
[/quote]
For me, no there arent "plenty" of raids, for you little guys..theres a pretty healthy helping floating around out there

Edited by wickedj

[quote name='wickedj' timestamp='1293409801' post='2554760']
cus 'em some slack, Ed. the war is ending and everyone who fought had fun no need to drag it out

Good luck to former Blackstone members(i hear Athens is recruiting :P)
[/quote]

You know what we all ought to do? Have alliances offer up their stagnant players as "poker chips" in a poker tournament, to do with as they see fit. Sure, everyone has the [i]right[/i] to be stagnant, but when it's at others' expenses, well, that's a different story. If you want to be stagnant, then go rogue. If you want to mooch without paying your dues, then your dues should be forcefully taken from you.

[quote name='PotFace' timestamp='1293410226' post='2554763']
You know what we all ought to do? Have alliances offer up their stagnant players as "poker chips" in a poker tournament, to do with as they see fit. Sure, everyone has the [i]right[/i] to be stagnant, but when it's at others' expenses, well, that's a different story. If you want to be stagnant, then go rogue. If you want to mooch without paying your dues, then your dues should be forcefully taken from you.
[/quote]
I have often thought this! Wonderful Idea. They log on to collect find themselves being raided and after many months forum and IRC inactivity they would be all like "wtf is happening, why aren't you protecting me" Then one could kindly point them to the thread that is weeks old stating what was going to happen. Epic Lulz would follow when they realized it was cyberverse wide!

Edited by Merrie Melodies

[quote name='PotFace' timestamp='1293410226' post='2554763']
[/quote]
How is it "at others' expenses"? There is really no way that inactive members cost anyone anything.

[quote name='Fernando12' timestamp='1293410612' post='2554766']
How is it "at others' expenses"? There is really no way that inactive members cost anyone anything.
[/quote]

Not true. Alliances are "teams". Teams are composed of members that [i]rely[/i] on one another. There's no point in joining a team if you can't be counted on. Likewise, there's no point in keeping those that you can't count on. I mean, this is something that human civilization has figured out thousands of years ago - there's no point in struggling with the idea...

[quote name='PotFace' timestamp='1293410890' post='2554770']
Not true. Alliances are "teams". Teams are composed of members that [i]rely[/i] on one another. There's no point in joining a team if you can't be counted on. Likewise, there's no point in keeping those that you can't count on. I mean, this is something that human civilization has figured out thousands of years ago - there's no point in struggling with the idea...
[/quote]
I agree. So did you expel or ask anyone to leave the AA? I wonder what you think of large "teams" like MHA.

[quote name='Fernando12' timestamp='1293411466' post='2554779']
I agree. So did you expel or ask anyone to leave the AA? I wonder what you think of large "teams" like MHA.
[/quote]

And this is where I get to say, "I'm speaking from experience". As far as BCOM went, I tried it all. Early on, I set high standards - sending out messages for everyone to increase activity and the like, but to no avail. I then progressed to "monthly sign-ins", where if you failed to sign-in, it would result in dismissal. I enforced that policy for a short time, when I realized that BCOM would effectively lose 80% (or more) of its member base at that rate. By today, after governmental reformation, new policies and procedures, a new board, new art, new ideas, you name it.... none of it worked. Which was slightly surprising, I must admit.

The only common denominator was, it was directed toward people who simply didn't want to contribute.

Now, as for "large teams" like MHA - honestly, size doesn't matter imo. MHA, like any team, is bound by the same principals. If, for example, 80% of their members simply couldn't be counted on, that will certainly reflect in times of war. Many alliances like to keep stagnant players because it increases their stats, and that's fine and well during peace time. But any stats generated for any alliance by any stagnant player might as well be zero if they refuse to fulfill their basic obligations to their alliances.

I have always admired Potface for his bluntness. I can appreciate a man who calls it like it is. As stated previously, more people could learn from him. I have. And, I can attest to the fact that Pot did all that was humanly possible for one man to achieve with his AA...structure, forums, graphics, discipline...you name it. Ultimately, however, you can't force anyone to do anything and the lack of contribution from a majority will eventually take it's toll on the active minority.

Good luck, Potface (hold your head high. i know it's disappointing but you did all you could)...and George if he's still out there anywhere. These were the only two remaining active members I was aware of.

[quote name='Zhaan' timestamp='1293412563' post='2554798']
I have always admired Potface for his bluntness. I can appreciate a man who calls it like it is. As stated previously, more people could learn from him. I have. And, I can attest to the fact that Pot did all that was humanly possible for one man to achieve with his AA...structure, forums, graphics, discipline...you name it. Ultimately, however, you can't force anyone to do anything and the lack of contribution from a majority will eventually take it's toll on the active minority.

Good luck, Potface (hold your head high. i know it's disappointing but you did all you could)...and George if he's still out there anywhere. These were the only two remaining active members I was aware of.
[/quote]

Well, you know, when I first thought about it, yeah, it was a bit disappointing. But now that I look back on all of it, to me it was a creation - like a work of art. The alliance itself had enormous potential. And while the stats and activity stayed low, BCOM still ran circles around many other alliances in other areas. So, it's something that I can look back on and smile on with satisfaction. In the BCOM DoE, someone mentioned that it was the equivalent to setting the political difficulty level to "nightmare", and still we were able to go color-hopping unscathed. We watched other alliances come, grow to be larger and more powerful, and then undergo coups, disbandment, you name it, while we continued to swim, event-free. We still provided all of the services most other alliances provide, in spite of losing all but 2 senior government officials.

What we managed to pull off was nothing short of epic, imo. But at some point, it had to end. At the end of the day, the struggle was pointless.