A debate on accepting nations at war

Sardonic

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you deliberately gave the impression that the materials came from Caprios, indicating in the message that you posted that this was in case we wouldn't accept materials from you. In other words, you were well aware of the terms and conditions and just thought you were better than them. The rules never apply to you, do they?

[quote name='Schattenmann' date='23 July 2010 - 01:41 PM' timestamp='1279910491' post='2386248']
No part of GOONS has integrity.
[/quote]
While I'm delighted that I've reduced you to Ad-hominem, please try to keep up with the debate.

Edited by Sardonic

[quote name='Moridin' date='23 July 2010 - 12:32 PM' timestamp='1279909946' post='2386223']
Oh for christ's sake, do you actually care who wrote the damn essay? That's quite possibly one of the stupidest and most worthless peace terms ever to grace this earth. It's remarkable that you can actually keep a straight face while telling Schattenmann he is setting a "horrible example" by fulfilling a term for someone else that is, which ever way you spin it, a complete and utter waste of time that benefits absolutely nobody. If all you want is a quick laugh then it doesn't matter who wrote it, be it Schattenmann, the raid victim, or Admin himself. The fact that you weren't informed that someone else wrote the essay really shouldn't matter in the least because it's a moronic term to impose in the first place. The only group setting a bad example at all in this situation is GOONS, but then again we've all come to expect that.
[/quote]
I would love to see if this logic flies anywhere else. Having someone else write your homework, do your community service, serve your jail time, as long as it's DONE right? It's also okay to lie about it. Or try to make ridiculous claims like "Well the rules didn't say I couldn't get Jerry to do my community service and then take credit for it, so that makes it okay."

[quote name='Poyplemonkeys' date='23 July 2010 - 02:45 PM' timestamp='1279910702' post='2386258']
Please tell me more about how this essay is as useful and serves a legitimate purpose such as homework, community service and jail time do, and should thus be compared directly...
[/quote]
I only got homework after the teacher beat me up and took my lunch money.

[quote name='Beefspari' date='23 July 2010 - 02:43 PM' timestamp='1279910617' post='2386256']
I would love to see if this logic flies anywhere else. Having someone else write your homework, do your community service, serve your jail time, as long as it's DONE right? It's also okay to lie about it. Or try to make ridiculous claims like "Well the rules didn't say I couldn't get Jerry to do my community service and then take credit for it, so that makes it okay."
[/quote]
[img]http://www.math.harvard.edu/~lee/images/hermes2.jpg[/img]

You're so cute in your little role.

[quote name='Poyplemonkeys' date='23 July 2010 - 12:45 PM' timestamp='1279910702' post='2386258']
Please tell me more about how this essay is as useful and serves a legitimate purpose such as homework, community service and jail time do, and should thus be compared directly...
[/quote]
The punishment for an AGGRESSIVE WAR AGAINST GOONS is either the entire war or the ability to fulfill mercy terms to get free. USSR wanted peace. That doesn't mean they get off scott free. That means they get community service instead of jail time.

[quote name='Poyplemonkeys' date='23 July 2010 - 11:45 AM' timestamp='1279910702' post='2386258']
[/quote]
There was nothing mentioned about such similarities between those things.

Mercy terms are given to a person or a body of persons for them to complete. We're well within our rights to deny a request for any reason, including another person attempting to fulfill the terms without consulting [i]the proper authority[/i] first.

[quote name='Beefspari' date='23 July 2010 - 11:43 AM' timestamp='1279910617' post='2386256']
[/quote]

Everything you listed at least ostensibly is supposed to have some sort of benefit for the person performing the task. Are you honestly trying to claim that asking someone to write an essay to get peace is supposed to benefit the author? It's a pathetic term you impose for a cheap laugh, and trying to pretend otherwise would be hilarious if not for the fact that you are somehow taking this incredibly seriously.

Edited by Moridin

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Tech raiders who complain about "might makes right" tactics are hypocritical and don't deserve to lead nations. I have no sympathy for tech raiders. I will in fact applaud the uprising of the unaligned and micro alliances.

[quote name='Moridin' date='23 July 2010 - 12:49 PM' timestamp='1279910962' post='2386278']
Everything you listed at least ostensibly is supposed to have some sort of benefit for the person performing the task. Are you honestly trying to claim that asking someone to write an essay to get peace is supposed to benefit the author?
[/quote]
Yes. Not writing the essay means the war continues. Writing it means they can go free. If that's not a benefit I don't know what is.

[quote name='Beefspari' date='23 July 2010 - 02:48 PM' timestamp='1279910864' post='2386268']
The punishment for an AGGRESSIVE WAR AGAINST GOONS is either the entire war or the ability to fulfill mercy terms to get free. USSR wanted peace. That doesn't mean they get off scott free. That means they get community service instead of jail time.
[/quote]
Everyone pretty much saw past the whole "aggressive war" thing on page 2, so if you want to just go ahead and join us here on Planet Bob that'd be greeeeaaaaat.

[quote name='Schattenmann' date='23 July 2010 - 11:47 AM' timestamp='1279910822' post='2386263']
You're so cute in your little role.
[/quote]
[img]http://api.ning.com/files/5AlxkMbhNJZZEWyc9OSeG494ZmdlPtqIpsMox4SAs9OxpPcHD5SoZJv22qZeFUiuygnUhzw2EAnqjQ6tiwIu7jskSon3ocnM/zap.jpg[/img]

And you, yours.

[quote name='Beefspari' date='23 July 2010 - 11:51 AM' timestamp='1279911075' post='2386287']
Yes. Not writing the essay means the war continues. Writing it means they can go free. If that's not a benefit I don't know what is.
[/quote]

You're hopeless. I've seen people be deliberately obtuse on these forums, but you deserve a medal.

[quote name='Moridin' date='23 July 2010 - 12:53 PM' timestamp='1279911210' post='2386297']
You're hopeless. I've seen people be deliberately obtuse on these forums, but you deserve a medal.
[/quote]
I like medals, what color is it?

[quote name='Poyplemonkeys' date='23 July 2010 - 01:45 PM' timestamp='1279910702' post='2386258']
[/quote]

it's an exercise in willingness. It shows you are willing to devote time and effort to the cause of peace. It means that you're not taking this lightly or for granted.

I'm not trying to grant the mercy board any nobility of purpose, but it does have a legitimate purpose. The reason for getting someone to do an essay or a picture or whatever else is to get them to implicitly say "I am serious about getting peace". Someone else fulfilling your terms for you doesn't show this.

[quote name='ktarthan' date='23 July 2010 - 02:38 PM' timestamp='1279910303' post='2386239']
No, it isn't.
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]How stupid do you think we are? "Write an essay about the time you visited an amusement park and cried about getting bullied by GOONS." The whole point of the Mercy Board is to add insult to injury - to demean them after you attacked their nation for no good reason at all.

Also, 'aggressive wars,' bah. When you attack someone on an AA, even if it is small and weak, allowed to be raided by your standards, and someone else on the AA fights back, it is not an aggressive war. They are defending their friends and alliance mates. They are not rogues and are not to be treated as such.[/color]

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' date='23 July 2010 - 12:54 PM' timestamp='1279911271' post='2386304']
[color="#0000FF"]How stupid do you think we are? "Write an essay about the time you visited an amusement park and cried about getting bullied by GOONS." The whole point of the Mercy Board is to add insult to injury - to demean them after you attacked their nation for no good reason at all.[/color]
[/quote]
That's not what it said. It said at first you get bullied by goons but then you realize we're really not that bad and we get along. It's a clever metaphor. :wub:

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' date='23 July 2010 - 11:54 AM' timestamp='1279911271' post='2386304']
[color="#0000FF"]How stupid do you think we are? "Write an essay about the time you visited an amusement park and cried about getting bullied by GOONS." The whole point of the Mercy Board is to add insult to injury - to demean them after you attacked their nation for no good reason at all.[/color]
[/quote]
That's never been a term on our board, so I don't know what you're talking about. The whole point of the Mercy Board is, as Lamuella just said, to have nations show they are serious about obtaining peace, and providing us with entertainment. Whether or not they feel demeaned or insulted is up to them, it is by no means the purpose of the board.

[quote name='Beefspari' date='23 July 2010 - 03:00 PM' timestamp='1279911584' post='2386318']
That's not what it said. It said at first you get bullied by goons but then you realize we're really not that bad and we get along. It's a clever metaphor. :wub:
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]That is irrelevant. The point of the Mercy Board is to demean and to embarrass.[/color]

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' date='23 July 2010 - 01:02 PM' timestamp='1279911736' post='2386323']
[color="#0000FF"]That is irrelevant. The point of the Mercy Board is to demean and to embarrass.[/color]
[/quote]
How's it irrelevant that the term you just said was our term, that proves we want to demean people, is not and never has been a term?