Question for UPN

Xiphosis

Earlier tonight it came to my attention that the IRC channel for a new alliance, Facepunch, had been registered by UPN's Minister of Defense Greene345. It came to my attention because a number of my friends - Delta and some others - had been kickbanned by Greene for no reason. A number of alliances have been contacting Facepunch over the last few days to try and get help them get sorted out and get to know them, but they haven't had an IRC channel [or good forums] so it's been something of a mess.

Obviously, IRC would alleviate this a great deal but it appears Greene's taken it upon himself to not only indoctrinate a new alliance utterly, but shut them out to outsiders apparently without them even knowing. When prompted in #upn the only thing we could get out of Greene himself is that he'll hand the channel over to Facepunch whenever they set up a government/have a leader, and until then he's locking everyone out. This is both inherently shady and unprecedented and I am left a little speechless.

My question for UPN is thus two fold:

> Do you make it a habit of registering/endorse the registration of new alliances channels?

and

> Who in the hell are you to dictate who's allowed in another alliance's channel?

Please respond post-haste. Thanks.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

* You were kicked from #facepunch by Greene345|UPN (bye)
-
#facepunch unable to join channel (address is banned)

Pretty awesome lol

Well then, I guess I would like an explanation as well.

Also, I had just joined the room only seconds before, only reason I did was because I heard people were getting kick banned. I take it UPN wants to randomly piss people off for absolutely no reason?

Edited by Il Impero Romano

[quote name='Il Impero Romano' date='15 May 2010 - 05:07 AM' timestamp='1273914457' post='2298519']
-

Pretty awesome lol

[/quote]

Oho, I see that and raise you:

<-- Greene345|UPN has kicked Iserlohn[GOONS] from #facepunch (bye)
<-- Greene345|UPN has kicked Delta1212[RIA] from #facepunch (bye)
<-- You have been kicked from #facepunch by Greene345|UPN (bye)

Shady behavior? By an (e)politician? WHY I NEVER.

I have the utmost faith that this [s]hostile takeover[/s] assistance towards Facepunch will certainly end with them in full control of their facilities and will not result in any sort of misuse or cloak and dagger influence on them. After all, what possible ulterior motives could UPN have?

I nearly forgot to add that what makes it even more hilarious is that at first he claimed he just wanted Facepunch to be heard and there not to be chaos:

[quote]<Greene345> alright. i'm going to make this a voice-only channel once they come on.
<Biazt[GOONS]> So you're going to give yourself ops, voice all of FB, then set +m so none of us can talk other than yourself?
<Greene345> if i have to moderate.. i will.
--> jetboy (address) has joined #facepunch
<Delta1212[RIA]> Yeah...
<Biazt[GOONS]> Classy
<Beefspari[GOONS]> Heh.
<-- jetboy has quit (Quit: jetboy)
<Greene345> actually, no. what im getting ready to do.. is try and make sure everyone is heard.
<Fippe-FP> I don't even know who Greene is
<Greene345> so there isn't chaos.
<Biazt[GOONS]> op FB then
[b]<Delta1212[RIA]> Greene, you're going to get backlashed to hell like that[/b]
<Fippe-FP> Never seen him on PF
<Fippe-FP> FP
--> jetboy[fp] (address) has joined #facepunch
<Delta1212[RIA]> No offense
[b]<Greene345> good point.
<Greene345> hmm.[/b][/quote]

So at this point he puts on +m, and voices all of FP:

[quote]* Greene345|UPN sets mode +m #facepunch
* Greene345|UPN gives voice to Stupideye|FP
* Greene345|UPN gives voice to Wakka
* Greene345|UPN gives voice to Jund[FP]
* Greene345|UPN gives voice to jetboy[fp]
* Greene345|UPN gives voice to Fippe[FP]
* Greene345|UPN gives voice to [FP]Starpluck
<Greene345|UPN> FP.. talk.
<Wakka> hurr
<Greene345|UPN> GOONS and RIA.. query me.[/quote]

So this is fine and dandy for Greene right? We can't say anything but he's free to do what he likes. Apparently not because a few minutes later:

[quote]<Greene345|UPN> alright. could everyone please try and remain civil?
<Greene345|UPN> and limit the name calling?
<[FP]Starpluck> Yeah
<Jund[FP]> Fine
<Greene345|UPN> now, im kicking all the other alliances.
<Greene345|UPN> but i'll stay.
<-- Greene345|UPN has kicked Iserlohn[GOONS] from #facepunch (bye)
<-- Greene345|UPN has kicked Delta1212[RIA] from #facepunch (bye)
<-- You have been kicked from #facepunch by Greene345|UPN (bye)[/quote]

Edited by Biazt

[quote name='Il Impero Romano' date='15 May 2010 - 05:07 AM' timestamp='1273914457' post='2298519']
-

Pretty awesome lol

[/quote]

We do not appreciate seeing officials banned from public channels.

[05:14] * Greene345|UPN sets mode: +b *!*TypoNinja@coldfront-*Edited*.net
[05:14] * You were kicked by Greene345|UPN (bye)
[05:14] * Attempting to rejoin channel #facepunch
[05:14] * Unable to join channel (address is banned)

Edit: Oh yes, they don't like IP's or hostmasks here, my bad.

Edited by TypoNinja

[quote name='Biazt' date='15 May 2010 - 10:16 AM' timestamp='1273914962' post='2298532']
I nearly forgot to add that what makes it even more hilarious is that at first he claimed he just wanted Facepunch to be heard and there not to be chaos:

So at this point he puts on +m, and voices all of FP:

So this is fine and dandy for Greene right? We can't say anything but he's free to do what he likes. Apparently not because a few minutes later:
[/quote]

So pretty much UPN is exploiting naivety and taking over a foreign alliance's public IRC in a desperate attempt to gain an ally, most likely as a result of some sort of personal complex they have developed over that famous quote from this past war.

That's cool and all, but kickbaninng other alliances government as soon as they join the room completely out of the blue is only going to piss off people who formerly had a neutral opinion of you.

To be fair to UPN, at this point we don't know whether this is UPN sanctioned or not, or Green345 on a personal hunt for stupidity (hey you succeeded!). I can't imagine UPN would actually decide as alliance policy to do this.

But then again, this will just bounce around depending on assumptions and will never be laid properly to rest I imagine. Still UPN, not something you really want happening with your tag written all over it.

[quote name='Cyphon88' date='15 May 2010 - 05:26 AM' timestamp='1273915567' post='2298542']
To be fair to UPN, at this point we don't know whether this is UPN sanctioned or not, or Green345 on a personal hunt for stupidity (hey you succeeded!). I can't imagine UPN would actually decide as alliance policy to do this.

But then again, this will just bounce around depending on assumptions and will never be laid properly to rest I imagine. Still UPN, not something you really want happening with your tag written all over it.
[/quote]

Also Greene is gov, so at the very least we are pretty deep into faceplam territory here.

Ah, there are some more good logs from #upn (apparently no other of the 5 UPN gov members noticed)

[quote]<Beefspari[GOONS]> What was with the kicking? Kind of making it difficult to have any serious discussion with a new alliance.
[b]<Greene345|UPN> they dont exist yet.[/b][/quote]
An alliance of 170 members does not exist. Silly :(( GOONS :(( and their 15 man alliance recognition :smug:

[quote]<Beefspari[GOONS]> You should really hand the channel over to the people who are supposed to be running it, and um, let them run it.
<Greene345|UPN> thanks for the suggestion.[/quote]
Just...no comment

Edited by Biazt

Awww, I came on IRC to see whats going on first hand. And hell I wouldn't of even gone there if not for this thread. Dig a hole dig a hole eh Green?

[quote]
[10:32] * You were kicked from #facepunch by Greene345|UPN (bye)
-
[10:32] #facepunch unable to join channel (address is banned)
-[/quote]

[size="5"][size="2"]Greetings from the Facepunch Alliance.
[/size][/size]
I am coming to you as only some petty nominee, but I must (for the sake of many nations) set a few things straight about our alliance and the events that took place in the substandard IRC channel. We were assisted by the UPN by the means of receiving a temporary, working forum and IRC channel (for us to organize). This was organized as you said by the UPN Ministry of Defense, otherwise known as Greene345. We have struggled to accomplish our most coveted goal so far: the official formation of our very own alliance. [b]He is no longer in charge of any of our operations.[/b]

Just to make everything clear, Greene never intended to cause this heat to arise. He was only ensuring that our people got an equal say by monitoring the channel while we selected a leader, and formatted the key pieces of our government. Greene himself was used as a mediator, we apologize for any disrespect (or what seemed as "Shady" behavior). Our alliance, and the UPN want nothing but peace and harmony amongst you all.

Edited by Syn

[quote name='Syn' date='15 May 2010 - 12:37 PM' timestamp='1273916217' post='2298554']
[size="5"][size="2"]Greetings from the Facepunch Alliance.
[/size][/size]
I am coming to you as only some petty nominee, but I must (for the sake of many nations) set a few things straight about our alliance and the events that took place in the substandard IRC channel. We were assisted by the UPN by the means of receiving a temporary, working forum and IRC channel (for us to organize). This was organized as you said by the UPN Ministry of Defense, otherwise known as Greene345. We have struggled to accomplish our most coveted goal so far: the official formation of our very own alliance. [b]He is no longer in charge of any of our operations.[/b]

Just to make everything clear, Greene never intended to cause this heat to arise. He was only ensuring that our people got an equal say by monitoring the channel while we selected a leader, and formatted the key pieces of our government. Greene himself was used as a mediator, we apologize for any disrespect (or what seemed as "Shady" behavior). Our alliance, and the UPN want nothing but peace and harmony amongst you all.
[/quote]
I was going to respond, but this pretty much sums it all.

[quote][10:38] <~Altheus|UPN|> for the record he's banning UPNers from #facepunch as well, including myself[/quote]

I think that has to go up for posterity's sake.

Also Facepunch Alliance. You could of sorted that out without him KickBanning, there's a difference between mediating/assisting, and go all stasi Iron Curtain stylee (ironic use of words, not in anyway intended to offend new bloc on the block).

Edited by Cyphon88