Pacific Star 2 OOC

Bacharth

[quote name='The Flying Scotsman' date='06 May 2010 - 02:42 PM' timestamp='1273174943' post='2289233']
Personally, I think the rule on militias was put in to serve a purpose, that being to prevent people from saying 80% of their population spontaneously rises up and defeats whoever invades them by sheer weight of numbers. However, I think the rule goes too far in outlawing militias in any size, because lets face it, nations (US and Iran being two examples I can think of) maintain militia forces (Natl Guard in the US, Basij Forces in Iran) which are frequently used in combat. Allowing some of the population to act as a militia or partisan or guerrilla or insurgency force is more reasonable and true to life than saying no one would stand up to defend their country or liberate it from occupation.

Looking at it from a RL perspective, alot of the major wars in the past 30-40 years have involved civilians taking up arms in one form or another:
-The Viet Cong during the Vietnam War was a guerrilla force, which is a militia
-The Iranians relied heavily on militia forces to fight Iraq in the 1980 Iran-Iraq War
-The Taliban in Afghanistan and Pakistan is made up entirely of tribal villagers
-Iraq has become home to a number of militias since the US occupation, Sadr's Militia in Baghdad is a good example of civilians joining a militia in response to a foreign invasion.

I recognize that the militia rule is a rule and that everyone should be required to follow it, but I think its a rule that needs to be changed after this war is over.
[/quote]
And if you wouldn't be able to tell, about 1/2 of all Americans own a gun, so any invading army would be subject to thousands of random ambushes by angry citizens.

So I agree the rule needs to be changed.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, I'll be out of reach until tomorrow night, currently I'm up at my grandparents, so if anyone wants to decla-

Oh wait. Well, if anyone needs to contact me, message me on facebook, that's the only think I'll have access to until around 4 PM Pacific Time tomorrow. Then, I'll probably be home around 6 hours later.

Have fun!

[quote name='Emperor Mudd' date='05 May 2010 - 12:06 AM' timestamp='1273032373' post='2287297']
PPPPPPPPPS: Also Lavo, I'm assuming most of your troops are in civilian transport ships since moving 300,000 troops by ship in ONE wave is pretty damn hard. You'd need thousands of ships. And look how I'm asking, not whining about it. Take note people
[/quote]
Yup, the majority of them are. Some 20-25% of the soldiers are in actual military/amphibious ships, along with all of the tanks. I'd say why I'm doing this, but that would give away what I'm doing. =P

• 4 weeks later...

o hai

<iamthey> Hey
<iamthey> so question... tomorrow is the 11th day of war without any tahoe respones of any kind
<iamthey> is it over again, or do we wait more?
<Lynneth> dunno
<Lynneth> it's becoming tedious and annoying
<iamthey> Yes
<iamthey> it is
<Lynneth> he doesn't even announce when/if he's going to be gone
<iamthey> mhmm
<Lynneth> I say wipe him and just RP resistance
<iamthey> He didn't even leave an OOC note about it
<iamthey> this time or the last time
<Lynneth> Yes
<Lynneth> you can post this log in the appropriate thread if you want
<iamthey> ok lol
<iamthey> basically: Lynneth says 'arg'

>_> thinking it's time to roll this up...

Edited by iamthey

[quote name='Sargun' date='05 June 2010 - 07:24 AM' timestamp='1275715474' post='2324272']
Lynneth has to come and post it himself.

While I strongly disagree with the move, I'll go and try to update the map. [i]sigh[/i]
[/quote]
I strongly disagree with you and confirm what IAT has posted.
:v:

[quote name='iamthey' date='05 June 2010 - 03:21 AM' timestamp='1275726050' post='2324361']
We'll try to work out an official copy and paste thing for you sargun. That should make things easier :).
[/quote]

The thing is that logs, even screenshots, can be easily doctored. I have done it several times, so I know exactly how easy it is. When Biohazard left me Greece years ago while he was away, some people didn't accept just some logs and they were rightfully worried about it.

[quote name='Voodoo Nova' date='05 June 2010 - 08:43 AM' timestamp='1275752567' post='2324574']
Wait until day 25. That's the guideline, lets use it; unless this means people are now inactive at 11 days in CNRP.
[/quote]

Normally, I'd agree, if this sort of thing hadn't happened over and over again.

<~Sargun> It’s because he is in the middle of a huge war
<~Sargun> and has left three times without note
<~Sargun> for extended periods
<~Sargun> only to come back post once or twice and leave again
<+Voodoo> Still, 25 days is what we go by. If it's now 11-13 days, we're going to have a few more people wiped
<~Sargun> It isn’t about 12 days, Voodoo
<~Sargun> It’s about what I said previously that you ignored entirely
<%KaiserMelech> It's more about preventing an abuse to the rule

The GM has ruled, I am accepting and RPing by the ruling. End of story. Let this be a lesson to those who would chose to use afk/delay tactics during war. Doesn't work. A response every 1-2 days is fair unless you've served a reasonable notification as to why you are not active.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

[quote name='Maelstrom Vortex' date='05 June 2010 - 04:56 PM' timestamp='1275771397' post='2324931']
The GM has ruled, I am accepting and RPing by the ruling. End of story. Let this be a lesson to those who would chose to use afk/delay tactics during war. Doesn't work. A response every 1-2 days is fair unless you've served a reasonable notification as to why you are not active.
[/quote]

Mael.

http://www.cybernations.net/nation_drill_display.asp?Nation_ID=15769

Look at his nation. See that little thing next to "Last Activity:"? Good. Look at the thing in parenthesis. See it? Ok, just making sure. Can you see what day inactive he is at? 12. Yes, 12.

Stop making asinine comments, because really it doesn't serve you any good. He's been inactive in the CN game for 12 days, not doing "afk/delay tactics".

Yes, one post every 12 days.. that's going to keep the RP moving o/

My comments are not asinine, they are an observation of the facts. You cannot expect the community to tolerate you only being able to post every half a month. If you cannot commit the time, it is time you considered perhaps RPing in the Game RP section where the pace is much more casual. Besides that, he was also completely ignoring some attacks and breaching other rules. The time has come.

The community demonstrated extreme tolerance the first time he went afk for over 25 days and let him have his country back at his pleas, but he only came back to respond once every half a month.. just enough to keep his nation alive. That's absurd and not something we should be expected to tolerate.

[quote name='Maelstrom Vortex' date='05 June 2010 - 02:24 PM' timestamp='1275773037' post='2325008']

My comments are not asinine, they are an observation of the facts. You cannot expect the community to tolerate you only being able to post every half a month. If you cannot commit the time, it is time you considered perhaps RPing in the Game RP section where the pace is much more casual. Besides that, he was also completely ignoring some attacks and breaching other rules. The time has come.

The community demonstrated extreme tolerance the first time he went afk for over 25 days and let him have his country back at his pleas, but he only came back to respond once every half a month.. just enough to keep his nation alive. That's absurd and not something we should be expected to tolerate.
[/quote]

^ This. We've shown tolerance to him before, and even in this war.

[quote name='Maelstrom Vortex' date='05 June 2010 - 05:24 PM' timestamp='1275773037' post='2325008']

[/quote]

So, lets lower the inactivity day for everyone, regardless of RP. Lets make it 10 days, since that seems to be the limit on everyone's patience.

[quote name='Voodoo Nova' date='05 June 2010 - 04:28 PM' timestamp='1275773268' post='2325015']
So, lets lower the inactivity day for everyone, regardless of RP. Lets make it 10 days, since that seems to be the limit on everyone's patience.
[/quote]

You don't seem to understand that constant inactivity during a war is not the same as periodic inactivity in peace time.

Until you can tell the difference, don't argue.

Edited by Sargun

[quote name='Voodoo Nova' date='05 June 2010 - 02:28 PM' timestamp='1275773268' post='2325015']
[/quote]

I'd be all for lowering it to 10 days. 25 days is allowing people to land grab and post very rarely. Once every ten days, and a strict limit that that is the inactivity limit, no ifs ands or buts.

[quote name='Sargun' date='05 June 2010 - 05:38 PM' timestamp='1275773877' post='2325023']
You don't seem to understand that constant inactivity during a war is not the same as periodic inactivity in peace time.

Until you can tell the difference, don't argue.
[/quote]

This is RP. Inactivity rules should be universal regardless of RP.

[quote name='Voodoo Nova' date='05 June 2010 - 04:40 PM' timestamp='1275774039' post='2325029']
This is RP. Inactivity rules should be universal regardless of RP.
[/quote]

No, they should not. Should a man who steals some cigarettes get executed because of "three strikes"? Universal blanket bans are the worst possible form of rule.

[quote name='Sargun' date='05 June 2010 - 05:42 PM' timestamp='1275774116' post='2325031']
No, they should not. Should a man who steals some cigarettes get executed because of "three strikes"? Universal blanket bans are the worst possible form of rule.
[/quote]

These two situations are not comparable. We are talking about guidelines for this game we play, not someone's life. This isn't a blanket ban, this is something that prevents people from just stating someone is inactive whenever they feel like it. If Mudd comes back within 13 days, I do not think it would be abnormal if he RP'd resistance movements and the such. I mean, all the topic did was claim he was in anarchy.

By the way, thanks Voodoo for demonstrating your level of maturity by banning me from a private channel on IRC for me contesting your views as I have here. Speaks volumes of your character. Can't handle free speech when it's not in favor of you eh?

People of your ilk are why some players leave CNRP never to return. You have clearly demonstarted who the asinine one is in this discussion.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex