The Phoenix Federation - Official Announcement

Coven

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You cannot make an argument that just says, "MONARCHY IS THE BEST WHEN ITS RUN WELL" because you are including the clause "when its run well." Every form of government is fantastic when its run well and has competent people in high places. Luckily, in Monarchy AND Democracy, that is rarely the case. Though it is the authoritarian types in this game that seem to have stagnation the most since people are rarely removed from government when they need to be.

2.29 Impeachment

2.291 Impeachment proceedings may be initiated by a unanimous decision of the Phoenix Magistrates,

2.292 Impeachment requires a unanimous vote from the Phoenix Magistrates within a 3 day period and must be ratified by 80% of existing government members.

2.293 In the case of impeachment the current sitting High Magistrate will ascend to the position of Evil Overlord.

2.41 The number of Phoenix Magistrates shall be determined by the Evil Overlord

Mkay, so lemme get this straight. So, the Evil Overlord picks who he wants as his Phoenix Magistrates. But, in order for the impeachment of the Evil Overlord there must be a unanimous vote from all the Phoenix Magistrates whom HE appointed to office. Is it just me, or does it appear as though there may be a slight issue presenting itself here?

Just my two cents.

Moldavi wasn't head of the NPO forever, but the power centralized in his Emperorship remained behind and ended up in the hands of one who should have had far more checks and balances than he had.

James, honestly, I can go into TPF and rally a couple of members in a semi-successful coup over mhawk if I really wanted to. It's not really a cult-like atmosphere there.

Congrats TPF.

Airikr ftw!

Mkay, so lemme get this straight. So, the Evil Overlord picks who he wants as his Phoenix Magistrates. But, in order for the impeachment of the Evil Overlord there must be a unanimous vote from all the Phoenix Magistrates whom HE appointed to office. Is it just me, or does it appear as though there may be a slight issue presenting itself here?

Just my two cents.

We're more like a military organization than a civilian government.

You cannot make an argument that just says, "MONARCHY IS THE BEST WHEN ITS RUN WELL" because you are including the clause "when its run well." Every form of government is fantastic when its run well and has competent people in high places. Luckily, in Monarchy AND Democracy, that is rarely the case. Though it is the authoritarian types in this game that seem to have stagnation the most since people are rarely removed from government when they need to be.

Not necessarily so. Sure all forms of government 'when run well' accomplish their goals but of the simple governments monarchy is the strongest. Especially in time of crisis it has been proven that power must be in the hands of one man. Even in freedom loving states like Athens a Strategos would always become de facto ruler during a crisis. Rome, despite fearing the oppression of a king, would appoint a temporary dictator for the duration of the crisis. It is also just natural to have one man in charge of things. Democracy had broken down the strength of institutions that were formerly very strong because of a monarchical structure.

Of course a mixed form of government is best a strong executive is still required in times of crisis (perhaps a monarchical Evil Overlord with a group of aristoi, the best, supporting him as magistrates). You may have a valid point that it is generally in the best interest of a state to change leadership from time to time but that does not prove that monarchy is a poor choice. It simply shows that the demos are simply not acting as public citizens in the best interest of the state and also that perhaps a more mixed system should be used.

Edited by Grabem