I Need Some Feedback

Achilleus

Exploratory Poll  

120 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't hate the Greco-Roman theme, but it certainly does not appeal to me. For me, the alliance theme - or aesthetic - is very important. I have made decisions about joining alliances based solely on their aesthetic.

A while ago I thought of creating a Harry Potter themed alliance but I anticipated two major problems: 1) that other alliances would not take it seriously and 2) the memberbase would be very limited. I suppose these are the two main problems that any themed alliance inherits.

I personally was always interested in similar historic topics, so I suppose it would be okay, though I think there are other themes that would help you more, especially seeing how everyone pointed out how over-represented your current choice is.

Yeah, these are cool themes, but they have both been done over and over as already mentioned. Even the Egyptians have been done by "Pyramid" (in two incarnations), although they disbanded their second attempt a few months back if I recall correctly. None of this is to say you can't succeed though.

A good theme can be helpful in attracting newer nations, but bear in mind that the more established players will more than likely look far beyond the theme and towards the characteristics of any alliance they might consider joining.

I like reading about ancient Greeks and Romans, and their histories, but I particularly feel close to them and don't find the idea original so I probably would not join based on that theme.

I think it would be more difficult to make an alliance, even a differentiated one, to stand out from the masses when that over all theme has been done so many times before.

But, I say do what makes you happy.

Edited by Kzoppistan

anime.....an anime theme is the best......you have a wide choice of anime to choose from as well....

Oh hey there, who are you and where have you been all my life? :awesome:

On topic, if you like, go for it. Not my thing, and yeah, there's a fair bit of it, but if you play it right I'm sure you can distinguish yourself from the rest. These questions come to mind:

Could you elaborate a little on your idea?

Like... what things of this ancient culture would you take to your alliance's structure?

Names, government, military and economic structure, views on politics and war...

How much would your alliance's theme influence your moves on the FA department? Would you aim to get treaties/wars with other ancient cultures themed alliances just because of the theme, trying to recreate the history of those civilizations?

This is what you need to do before getting on with building your alliance. Having a plan is important.

Lets get this one thing straight, History sucks. And unless you are wasting your life majoring in a useless field, you aren't going to want to join some crappy alliance based on it.

Go with what will grab attention. Ask yourself, what is the most popular influence on today's culture. That's right I am talking about Twilight. Vampires have always been cool, and are well known throughout the world. It only makes sense to have a blood sucker themed alliance.

Don't forget to make your flag sparkle.

I agree with the sentiment behind Kzoppistan's post. Additionally, I'd like add a few of my own thoughts.

I find alliances based on real life themes tiresome and lacking originality. I much prefer alliances based on themes of their own making, even if I disagree withe their politics. They typically represent their theme in name only and have very little to do with what they are based on. If you are going to make an alliance based on a real life reference, at least do it right and make it actually unique. For instance, if Sparta and Athens were to truly represent their themes in any meaningful sense of the word, then Sparta would be at least half the size and regularly host gladiatorial battles to weed out those inept at battle, and Athens would regularly hold international competitions on philosophy. To my knowledge, neither of these alliances actually do this and simply function like any other alliance, except with marginally fancier titles to their leadership positions.

The problem is, to truly represent a specific theme in any real sense, you also have to adhere to some form of their philosophy. In the real world, Spartans believe pretty much only in fighting, and Athenians have their heads up in the clouds, but the alliances in CN, Sparta and Athens, function pretty much like any other alliance (again, to my knowledge), without any significant distinguishing features aside from features that are really only superficial.

Given the amount of classics-themed alliances, never mind other outside-of-CN thematic alliances, if you simply don the persona of another theme without actually acting the part, then you'll just be another alliance, regardless of theme. If you're gonna do it, at least do it right.

Lets get this one thing straight, History sucks. And unless you are wasting your life majoring in a useless field, you aren't going to want to join some crappy alliance based on it.

Go with what will grab attention. Ask yourself, what is the most popular influence on today's culture. That's right I am talking about Twilight. Vampires have always been cool, and are well known throughout the world. It only makes sense to have a blood sucker themed alliance.

Don't forget to make your flag sparkle.

If someone's brain is too small to grasp something, it's a good move to call it useless. I guess you should really be wasting your life majoring in something soul-killing, like business or computer science. And no thanks, I'm not a goth (would-be freethinker) or a teenage girl, so I don't get off to Twilight and vampires. But thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: Well, guys, I'm wrapping this up. 67% is a big majority and I tire at the thought of recruiting anyway. Thanks for the tips and advice.

Edited by Achilleus

For instance, if Sparta and Athens were to truly represent their themes in any meaningful sense of the word, then Sparta would be at least half the size and regularly host gladiatorial battles to weed out those inept at battle, and Athens would regularly hold international competitions on philosophy.

Sparta would have kill any dysfunctional nations as well (bad trades?), along with any nations who are not ridiculously ripped.

I don't hate the Greco-Roman theme, but it certainly does not appeal to me. For me, the alliance theme - or aesthetic - is very important. I have made decisions about joining alliances based solely on their aesthetic.

A while ago I thought of creating a Harry Potter themed alliance but I anticipated two major problems: 1) that other alliances would not take it seriously and 2) the memberbase would be very limited. I suppose these are the two main problems that any themed alliance inherits.

One thing that would be cool about a Harry Potter alliance (if you got enough people) is separating the membership into houses. I don't know what you could base it on, or if you would let them choose, but it would be pretty neat actually.

One thing that would be cool about a Harry Potter alliance (if you got enough people) is separating the membership into houses. I don't know what you could base it on, or if you would let them choose, but it would be pretty neat actually.

Actually, there was a Harry Potter alliance that DoE'd and disbanded bit ago: http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/Hocus_Pocus

Harry Potter bloc?