Overrated Alliance Government

Archon

In that case, It's been said that Ivan's been rather inactive as far as Monarch's go since his return to CN and founding of NSO. If that were true, I wouldn't really call that a quality that is very constructive for his alliance.

Any NSO member is welcome to refute my statement.

Theres only so many things we can do with our roster and the relative knee-jerk paranoia regarding him. It's entirely justified, but Ivan is a factor that can take any government lineup and just take it to it's possible best.

I would say your point is valid, but only because the standard he's held in is second to Admin himself in regards to potential influence on the game. But Ivan's always been a person that has realized that leadership isn't just about him, so if you know what a competent, even a skilled leader is, Ivan is far above par.

But if you worship him as a deity, you will be disappointed. He's done some incredible things, mind you, but that was only when he had the best possible materials to work with, and I doubt anyone else who has ever been in this game could equal such feats were they in his position. But that was a truly exceptional time, and circumstances have changed somewhat since his glory days.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly cannot think of any alliance Gov which is overrated, you can argue against Ivan Moldavi, but really, he was gone for a very long time and people started idolizing him as some kind of God during the dispute between the Orders, nobody can live up to that.

EDIT: didnt finish my sentence

Edited by Jack Diorno

Archon, I have much respect for this thread.

I would nominate all them leaders who allow their emotions to engulf their senses during diplomatic situations and completely blow up and misrepresent themselves and their alliance. This eliminates half of the 'big wigs'.

Ehhh, I wouldn't go that far, Ejay.

I'd say any leader who has let their emotions engulf their senses during a diplomatic situation that brought forth holy hell upon their alliance at some point would definitely be eligible for this honor.

Everyone has emotions and everyone, no matter how much they try, has subjective urges override objective thought at some point.

I think me and WalkerNinja have been not-enemies long enough to say in frankness that I absolutely had no clue how he kept in gov of ODN. He's even noted himself since then that in the past he did some outright retarded crap. Perils of democracy.

I definitely think that from all that crap, he learned a lot and I've 180ed in my opinion of him over the last 6 months. An overrated gov can definitely grow into a good gov.

Keeping in mind, faithful readers, I know better than anyone my own weaknesses.

I'll agree with you. WalkerNinja did pretty well over here in TOP -- he knew well enough to bring me along for the ride. B)

If people want...they can email me their thoughts and I'll post them anonymously...I don't mind that.

archonshield at gmail dot com

Good show, Archon.

I'll agree with you. WalkerNinja did pretty well over here in TOP -- he knew well enough to bring me along for the ride. B)

Exactly what I'm saying. When I was in TOP WN was a favored joke--it speaks volumes to me that by the time WN was in TOP he got elected by those same people. If only everyone could turn themselves around like he has.

IRON's flag is terrible.

wwwwwwoosh!

Edited by Schattenmann

Doitzel is pretty overrated with flag design. Sure, he had hits with IRON's flag and the second Vox flag, but between that (2, 3 years) was this barren wasteland of crap that you'd expect to see posted on the mother-of-a-kindergartener's refrigerator.

Woah now. Don't be hatin'. Just because my masterpieces were not adopted does not mean they were bad. It's not my fault The Legion was bitter about our stewardship and didn't take my advice for this improvement of their flag:

LegionFlag.png

IRON's flag is terrible.

Bite me.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I'm way overrated. Seriously not saying that for the faux-modesty thing either. Silver tongue, that's about it.

Edited by Elyat

Edit: Oh yeah, and I'm way overrated. Seriously not saying that for the faux-modesty thing either. Silver tongue, that's about it.

I don't know if im overrated, to be fair. I mean, ive pretty much come out and openly said "Just a troll, will travel" and such.

Heading to bed for the night. I'll post any emails I receive in the morning...judging from what I've received thus far I'll have to edit for language. Try to make my life easier by making it as though it were already a post on this forum. In some cases, I may be forced to summarize, and if I do I can't promise I will capture your sentiments as accurately as you would have wanted them put. So your safest bet is to send me an email that I can just copy-pasta right into here without getting warned.

Exactly what I'm saying. When I was in TOP WN was a favored joke--it speaks volumes to me that by the time WN was in TOP he got elected by those same people. If only everyone could turn themselves around like he has.

Agreed.

The learning curve, I've realized, is quite high in this world -- and I think in some cases, there are people who are either not inclined toward it (e.g. names which may or may not be mentioned at some point in this thread -- but I think an example you may appreciate is BOWWOW3000, who I hear was our greatest Grand Master...or not. :v: ) or don't get a good shot at it before something catastrophic happens (e.g. leaders cut down before their prime due to this internal drama or that war).

wwwwwwoosh!

It is terrible! :v:

I was one of the ones who tried to get it changed.

No offense, Doitzel. :P

Woah now. Don't be hatin'. Just because my masterpieces were not adopted does not mean they were bad. It's not my fault The Legion was bitter about our stewardship and didn't take my advice for this improvement of their flag:

LegionFlag.png

Now THAT is a flag.

Legion, there's still time to use this flag! Get a referendum going or whatever it is you guys do. :D

Oh, people... please. If you want to make comments about overrated government, have the balls to actually state your opinions. Don't be cowardly and send them to Archon to post anonymously.

Personally? I think most of the legendary leaders in Cyber Nations are overrated. This includes leadership from both alliances I like and dislike, including Frostbite and Citadel (hello Crymson) and all these other blocs. Being famous does not equal being an excellent leader... indeed, nor does charisma necessarily have much to do with it.

I absolutely detest aligning myself with Ivan Moldavi's hero worshippers, but I've read much of what he said on the NPO forums and on the old Cyber Nations Forums, and read about his exploits in the early stages of the game. I agree with some of the other posters in this thread in that I think he'd be a more effective leader if he were more active, but nevertheless I think he's the best leader Cyber Nations has seen. Every action, every word is designed to convey the strength of his alliance. I don't know about his ability to choose Imperial Officers (or the War Council, in those days) but from what I've heard he's pretty good at the rest of the whole leader jazz too.

Oh, people... please. If you want to make comments about overrated government, have the balls to actually state your opinions. Don't be cowardly and send them to Archon to post anonymously.

Personally? I think most of the legendary leaders in Cyber Nations are overrated. This includes leadership from both alliances I like and dislike, including Frostbite and Citadel (hello Crymson) and all these other blocs. Being famous does not equal being an excellent leader... indeed, nor does charisma necessarily have much to do with it.

I absolutely detest aligning myself with Ivan Moldavi's hero worshippers, but I've read much of what he said on the NPO forums and on the old Cyber Nations Forums, and read about his exploits in the early stages of the game. I agree with some of the other posters in this thread in that I think he'd be a more effective leader if he were more active, but nevertheless I think he's the best leader Cyber Nations has seen. Every action, every word is designed to convey the strength of his alliance. I don't know about his ability to choose Imperial Officers (or the War Council, in those days) but from what I've heard he's pretty good at the rest of the whole leader jazz too.

Don't worry. You won't be on anyone's overrated list.

I personally like alliances that can hold themselves together without leadership. Call me biased, but if people can work together without rallying around central figures, then that speaks volumes about the character of the whole community.

lolcommie.

I think the best alliances are the ones that have members that will step up when faced with adversity. Going waaaaaay back, when \m/ had quite a few of it's prominent members removed from the Cyberverse, it basically collapsed. The mark of a great alliance? The exact opposite.

Don't worry. You won't be on anyone's overrated list.

/page

Cheers, mate.

Also, CrymsoN isn't overrated -- he's over-credited with most of the evil done in the world. Listening to People's grievances with respect to CrymsOn is like listening to Chuck Norris facts at times. -_-

At least give credit where credit is due. :v:

Edited by Coursca

I think the best alliances are the ones that have members that will step up when faced with adversity. Going waaaaaay back, when \m/ had quite a few of it's prominent members removed from the Cyberverse, it basically collapsed. The mark of a great alliance? The exact opposite.

MCXA comes to mind for me.

I think Jason8 has affirmed another highly generalizable trait about most alliances -- memberships with a solid-to-deep depth chart will become self-sustaining. Memberships without any depth will eventually falter should enough of the keystones be removed.

If we're not careful, these recent threads wrought of boredom will create a Theory of Everything for Planet Bob. :P

Of all the gov I've ever served under or been a part of, I'd say the only one that was not overrated was Elysium-TPF-gov-thingy, which in some form survives to this day (and is very much underrated, IMO).

Every government of FCO during my time there (though, this probably doesn't concern anyone from outside FCO) had some major flaw (my own included), I couldn't get a hang of ODN's gov (though, this doesn't say much, might be just me) and most of the Legion's members of gov during my time there (from early 2007 to Legion disbandment crisis) were either bickering amongst themselves, incompetent or handicapped by the incompetence of others.