Spying 101

IronMan17

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were to try to start an independent spying organization, why would you recruit random people? It makes no sense. If I were to do it, I'd target IC friends who are bored with the game, and RL friends who wouldn't be influenced by years of CN politics. I'm not saying I'd do it, I'm just saying we need people who do it right. KainIIIC, see Coven of the Lost.

Edit: Someone should just write a guide. Schantamantan?

Coven of the Lost were an attempt at a "New World Order" style secret government. They weren't spies. They were people who were already in 'high' places who had some weird sort of clique centering around a television program. I found the members of this clique to be annoying in manner and incompetent in act. They are famous more for being discovered than for anything they accomplished (which was pretty much nothing).

Also lol, good one NSO

Coven of the Lost were an attempt at a "New World Order" style secret government. They weren't spies. They were people who were already in 'high' places who had some weird sort of clique centering around a television program. I found the members of this clique to be annoying in manner and incompetent in act. They are famous more for being discovered than for anything they accomplished (which was pretty much nothing).

Didn't they con Legion into attacking NPO in GW1?

If you were to try to start an independent spying organization, why would you recruit random people? It makes no sense. If I were to do it, I'd target IC friends who are bored with the game, and RL friends who wouldn't be influenced by years of CN politics. I'm not saying I'd do it, I'm just saying we need people who do it right. KainIIIC, see Coven of the Lost.

Edit: Someone should just write a guide. Schantamantan?

Vox Populi showed clearly how to do a massive espionage campaign in CN: since people can't actually be destroyed a spy organisation can be perfectly public. That way you just attract everyone dissatisfied with his lot, who sends you information so they can feel they accomplish something without having to do anything.

Of course, most such organisations would not be half as effective as VP, as they happily used a planet-wide dissatisfaction with the status-quo to their advantage, but even in the happiest times there will be the almost-be's who want to feel important by making public secret data without being revealed.

Vox Populi showed clearly how to do a massive espionage campaign in CN: since people can't actually be destroyed a spy organisation can be perfectly public. That way you just attract everyone dissatisfied with his lot, who sends you information so they can feel they accomplish something without having to do anything.

Of course, most such organisations would not be half as effective as VP, as they happily used a planet-wide dissatisfaction with the status-quo to their advantage, but even in the happiest times there will be the almost-be's who want to feel important by making public secret data without being revealed.

The thing that Vox Populi did that none of the also-rans ever did was present the information in an engaging and fun manner, instead of just log dumping or throwing out screen shots. Sure we had our share of both and people loved us for it but it was how we brought the information out that won us fans. TWiP especially. Once people realized that we were legit and they weren't going to get found out, intel started pouring in.

The thing that Vox Populi did that none of the also-rans ever did was present the information in an engaging and fun manner, instead of just log dumping or throwing out screen shots. Sure we had our share of both and people loved us for it but it was how we brought the information out that won us fans. TWiP especially. Once people realized that we were legit and they weren't going to get found out, intel started pouring in.

...and Vox no longer exists. So sorry. :P

I only liked TWiP because of the NPOers' attempts at counter-spin, which became just pure golden entertainment. However, the goals of Vox Populi were really one-of-a-kind, in that they only needed to woo the public rather than actually scare the NPO.

Also, we need a new Hegemony before Vox can be reformed. Please, alliances of the world, start launching nukes at one another so that one alliance may emerge the victor.

Also, we need a new Hegemony before Vox can be reformed. Please, alliances of the world, start launching nukes at one another so that one alliance may emerge the victor.

Coming from FAN, I believe that has to be legit. GO GO GO! :P

That's true. Vox had at least one very entertaining format that I can think of and used the art of publication to draw people to their side.

I like the spies who like to pretend to have an older brother who has a nation in CN. Especially when that "brother" of theirs enjoys taking the piss out of the alliance they are trying to join.

I like the spies who like to pretend to have an older brother who has a nation in CN. Especially when that "brother" of theirs enjoys taking the piss out of the alliance they are trying to join.

Heh.

The thing I have to wonder about is, do they really think it's original?

The OP in this topic screams "Vox Populi, please reform so we can have better drama. Kthxbai." :awesome:

The OP (to me anyway) screams more of "HAHAHA you fail so hard at spying" even though it wasnt serious at all. Some people need to get their sarcasm meters checked.

The OP (to me anyway) screams more of "HAHAHA you fail so hard at spying" even though it wasnt serious at all. Some people need to get their sarcasm meters checked.

...and I believe your sarcasm meter is broken, so.... :P