Grizz Goose's beer reviews

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

inb4flamewar

Bacon > beer

I'm tempted to start a war with FARK, which we would lose, so Wicked could force me to comply with surrender terms requiring review of five different bacon dishes for OWF posting. Just in case it happens, I'd better go start my research. Bacon wrapped scallops first up for testing.

Edited by gfloyd2002

I only drink home brewed beer (I just finished this java stout the other night, it is fantastic) and only eat bacon that I personally cut from the belly of the pig

So I am unaware of this hubub over fruit in beer (i've never had fruit in beer)

Edited by CptGodzilla

I'm shocked that with the number of British folks here, we haven't had a single person note the quality of Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout and Oatmeal Stout.

These are some of the finest beers in the world, definitely competitive with Germany.

Magic Hat is a wonderful brewing company and has made me happy for years. But when I discovered Sam Smith, I was blown away.

I'm shocked that with the number of British folks here, we haven't had a single person note the quality of Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout and Oatmeal Stout.

Sam Smith's OK, but there are many finer beers that don't get exported. Black Sheep, for example.

Grizz,

I'm pleased that you produced such a fine, well-rounded report. It has sparked a most enjoyable thread. I look forward to the evaluations of the other IRON leaders.

However, rumors are circulating that your missive may include material borrowed from sources other than your own fertile mind and trained palate. When these allegations were frist brounght to my attention, my initial reaction was this:

Dammit. My faith in human nature has been utterly destroyed.

Who the fark cheats on a beer tasting assignment?

That's just not human.

My soul is crushed.

I must drown my sorrows. But not with beer. The pain is too much.

No, that bottle of Everclear is getting a workout tonight.

My liver says "Farewell Farkistan!"

The doctors say I probably will not require a liver transplant, and I should be up and around again in a few weeks. Meanwhile, I implore you to clarify this matter. Please let all know that you did, in fact, taste for yourself these five beers.

Best wishes,

Yak

As does NH. Smuttynose out of Portsmouth and Nutfield out of Derry(they make Frank Jones Ale now) are among my favorite microbreweries

HorsePissBeer1.jpg

Though I have yet to try it I understand this is actually quite good as well.

Edited by Neo Anglia

Damn Americans... Have no clue on either liquor or beer...

actually we have some of the best and probably the most microbreweries in the world, as I was discussing with a European recently (I actually believe he brews).

So just as some Americans are ignorant in their beer selection, such as Bud drinkers, it seems some europeans are ignorant about what good beer we actually have here.

It is because Czech Budweiser(aka Budvar) doesn't use the same recipe as the US version. They are actually two different companies. The Budweiser in EU is named for the the town along the Czech/German border where it is from. It's actually closer to a true Pilsner like Urquell. It's sold over here under the name Czechvar. A-B's Budweiser while named for the town, was a name and recipe bought from a guy named Carl Conrad. Technically though his version was a Pilsner as well, Adolphus Busch tweaked Conrad's recipe with rice because it was more plentiful and cheaper than using straight barley, which was more in line with the levels of production and price he wanted to offer.

Thanks that's always been confusing me.

Also while I don't wanna diminish the purity of German Reinheitsgebot beers, I wouldn't place them as the number 1 brewers in Europe. I think that crown shoulld go to the Czech as they really have amazing beers. Sadly they're mostly not too well known around the world.

Edited by Leigon

[OOC]I live in PA, so have plenty of time to try everything. Yuengling's OK, a little light for my taste, and I don't drink it any more because they are union-busters[/OOC]

I look forward to the remaining reviews.

OOC: No ****? Me too. Remind me to take out aside and ask you for some good brews.

There's a distinct lack of other reviews here, which makes me a sad panda. Please IRON, don't betray alcoholics.

I believe I shall endeavor to do my best to acquire some of that Chili beer.

The individuals that call me friend would expect nothing less. :evilgrin:

(ooc Michigan has "Bell's" and most if not all of their brews are excellent, especially their "Porter". /ooc)

I too, am eagerly awaiting further reviews. Wonderful thread. Truly satisfying, IMO.

Why would you drink a beer that isn't cold if you had a choice in the matter?

For those who nurse their beer.... This is intended to warn them to make sure it does not get too warm.

Lagunitas IPA with a tri tip - :wub:

I demand a Lagunitas review from GrizzGoose!

Also - if you're ever in Jersey, Cricket Hill Hopnotic IPA is a nice one to try.

If I can find it here I will most definitely give it a go.... Looks like a good one too.

Grizz,

I'm pleased that you produced such a fine, well-rounded report. It has sparked a most enjoyable thread. I look forward to the evaluations of the other IRON leaders.

However, rumors are circulating that your missive may include material borrowed from sources other than your own fertile mind and trained palate. When these allegations were frist brounght to my attention, my initial reaction was this:

The doctors say I probably will not require a liver transplant, and I should be up and around again in a few weeks. Meanwhile, I implore you to clarify this matter. Please let all know that you did, in fact, taste for yourself these five beers.

Best wishes,

Yak

Yak,

The first 4 beers are my favorites and what I drink around the year. I stock up on Snow Cap during the winter so I can enjoy it though out the year. The first time I drank this beer was at a Rock Bottom where they had it on tap... I was surprised then how I gained a buzz from a beer so quickly. When I found it in the stores, I learned of its 7% ABV. This is my all time favorite beer. My number 2 beer which I have only recently discovered and can only find at one store so far, is Wheat Honey, I decided to give it a go because I have been drinking Summer Honey for the past 5 years or so. I polished off the last one I had last night and will have to make the journey to the only QFC I have found it at … which is not close to my home btw. When I first opened it I new I would like it, oh the sweet aroma that poured out … mmm reminded me of the feeling I got when I had my first Snow Cap. This has become my new summer beer to sit and sip while a BBQ up dinner for my Goslings. Ropewalk and Summer Honey both I had a the annual brew fest… Mis. Goose who is not a beer drinker loved Summer Honey. I liked the sweet malty flavor of Ropewalk and enjoyed drinking it as the air starts to cool, as you saw I mentioned it is not so good, imo, when the sweet nectar warms up so I don’t like to drink it during warm days. Summer Honey became my fall back beer when I ran out of my favs, I snag a bottle of the Mrs.’s, it soon grew on me …. Which lead me to get the Wheat Honey noted above. The Chili beer is the odd man out… The Goose loves hot… bring on the heat, the Goose loves beer so what better then a combo… I first heard about this maybe 8 yrs ago or so and thought I needed to try it. Problem was I could not find it anywhere. With the terms as they were I thought this was a good opportunity to continue on my quest for the illusive Chili Beer (now I wish I had not) luck was on my side, I had to take a business trip to So Cal so got a hold of Haralambdos Beverage Company (562-347-4300) and found a retail outlet in the area that sold Chili Beer. The flavor was not what I was expecting, Yeah it had heat but it lacked, maybe a habanero beer would be better they have a better flavor.

Now to address to usage of borrowed material I will not lie to you at all, of course I borrowed some material from what I consider expert writers on the subject, I believe that my effort to find the best wording rather than writing things like “the beer tastes good and has a thick texture to it”, added more benefit and produced a better product. I looked for reviews that described what I was experiencing.. was it all in my own words no not all of it, but I spirit was still there… I wrote my thoughts as I drank my beer then searched for better wording as I drank more of my beer… I can give you a count of each beer I drank to find the right words… In fact I will..

Snow Cap – 7

Wheat Honey – 8

Ropewalk – 5

Sumer Honey – 6 (I had to go to the store the next day so Mrs Goose would not be mad)

Chili Beer – 1 (I dared others in the Hotel to drink it :D )

Pyramid Snow Caps are pretty solid.

They are a favorite of the working class in my nation.

>_> <_<

Oh I must comment on this ... Oh yeah This is the Goose's Fav :wub:

Edited by Grizz Goose