Grizz Goose's beer reviews

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh boy.

Here come the Brits :)

Proper English ale tastes better being not cold. This is a large part of the reason why Americans think it's overrated, they ice up their Boddingtons and then wonder what the fuss is about.

I'm well aware of the poms' nasty habit. I was part baiting them but also wondering if some Americans did so too.

[OOC]British beer should be kept in a cool cellar and served at the temperature of the cellar. 'Warm beer' is a myth. But until the recent microbrew revolution, my working hypothesis was that US beer drinkers chilled their beer so much so they didn't have to actually taste it.[OOC]

Edited by Pingu

But, as others have pointed out, this fulfillment of surrender terms involves beer, not whatever 'Bud light lime' is.

[OOC]For Europeans concerned about the quality of offerings in the USA, I can tell you that the microbrew revolution has improved things no end. A couple of decades ago, when I first visited the US, there was no drinkable beer that was not imported. Now there are quite a few very acceptable brews made by small craft brewers, including some good IPAs, Pale Ales, wheat beers, pilsners etc. Only a couple meet the requirements of Germany's Reinheitsgebot, but many of them approach European standards of drinkability. Even Pennsylvania, a backward place in many ways when it comes to alcohol, boasts quite a few good brewers such as Yards, Victory, Troegs...]

While you were in PA did you try any Yuenglings?

yuengling-lager-798888.jpg

@Haflinger, I have tried porter both at room temp, as well as cold. I prefer it cold. Also props to Olde Anglia

HenLogo.jpg

Haf is my man. Try HB, Kronenbourg, Zipfer, Ottakrieger, Staropramen, Pilsner Urquell or Amstel. I could name the beers of my country but you can hardly buy them.

Actually my favourite macrobrewery beers are Pilsner Urquell and Kilkenny.

Discussing microbrewery beers in a thread like this is not very useful, as most of them will not be available where the reader is. Best microbrewery I know of is Granite Brewery in Halifax though. They make the best black & tan I've ever had. <3

and Haf, man the west coast is full of good beer - don't let a couple honey beers throw ya.

You guys are responsible for Kokanee and Coors, which are possibly the worst beers ever made not brewed in China or France. I just can't let it slide. Sorry. :P

More east coast/European beer reviewers please IRON. :)

Discussing microbrewery beers in a thread like this is not very useful, as most of them will not be available where the reader is. Best microbrewery I know of is Granite Brewery in Halifax though. They make the best black & tan I've ever had. <3

You guys are responsible for Kokanee and Coors, which are possibly the worst beers ever made not brewed in China or France. I just can't let it slide. Sorry. :P

More east coast/European beer reviewers please IRON. :)

I agree with one exception. I've found Coors originial to be drinkable. Everything else by Coors is Worst in Class.

While you were in PA did you try any Yuenglings?

[OOC]I live in PA, so have plenty of time to try everything. Yuengling's OK, a little light for my taste, and I don't drink it any more because they are union-busters[/OOC]

I look forward to the remaining reviews.

I toured Yuengling like 15 years ago. Was worth the trip. It's about an hour and 30 mins from me.

Their beer, I don't particularly care for though..

As an American, I drink beer cold/warm whatever. Makes no difference to me. Warm beer is tastier and more filling, but more often than not I'm drinking cold beer, so it's prob just the default American thing to do.

Got an Urquell sitting in the fridge. I also have some Leinenkugel's 1888 Bock. I think I'll have the bock tonight :)
I agree with one exception. I've found Coors originial to be drinkable. Everything else by Coors is Worst in Class.
Original Coors Banquet Beer is veeery light. But it is palatable(they also own Guinness BTW).

A new day has dawned in CN. Hopefully surrender terms of this sort become standard. People will be striving to lose wars!

I bet those are all really easy to come by...

Depends where you are. A lot of times, wine shops have a quality microbrew selection. You can find quality microbrews from most regions of the US, if you make a little effort. If not, your local supermarket probably carries Mich Amber Bock (a good one to start with, with a little more to it than ye olde macro lagers), Guinness, Bass, Sam Adams Black Lager, and a few others.

I'd go on about microbrews for a while, but I fear for the length of this post. Also, mmm, Russian Imperial Stouts...

One thing about Budweiser in America has always astonished me. There's a a really good czech beer called Budweiser, among the best beers in Europe I'd say. So how come american Bud is so useless?

Apart from that Staropramen (Czech) and Gösser (Austrian) are my favourite beers. San Miguel (Spanish) is a pretty nice summer beer.

One thing about Budweiser in America has always astonished me. There's a a really good czech beer called Budweiser, among the best beers in Europe I'd say. So how come american Bud is so useless?

Apart from that Staropramen (Czech) and Gösser (Austrian) are my favourite beers. San Miguel (Spanish) is a pretty nice summer beer.

It is because Czech Budweiser(aka Budvar) doesn't use the same recipe as the US version. They are actually two different companies. The Budweiser in EU is named for the the town along the Czech/German border where it is from. It's actually closer to a true Pilsner like Urquell. It's sold over here under the name Czechvar. A-B's Budweiser while named for the town, was a name and recipe bought from a guy named Carl Conrad. Technically though his version was a Pilsner as well, Adolphus Busch tweaked Conrad's recipe with rice because it was more plentiful and cheaper than using straight barley, which was more in line with the levels of production and price he wanted to offer.

Edited by Neo Anglia

West Coast Micros FTW!

Stone IPA

Lagunitas IPA

Terminal Gravity IPA

"Don't Fruit The Beer! Man law"

Lagunitas IPA with a tri tip - :wub:

I demand a Lagunitas review from GrizzGoose!

Also - if you're ever in Jersey, Cricket Hill Hopnotic IPA is a nice one to try.

Lagunitas IPA with a tri tip - :wub:

I demand a Lagunitas review from GrizzGoose!

Also - if you're ever in Jersey, Cricket Hill Hopnotic IPA is a nice one to try.

Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shutdown Ale.

<gargoyle pic snipped>

I found this appropriate considering the topic and what it normally entails

/is a vodka drinker

Stone RIS.

Also, Old Rasputin.

Double also, Great Lakes Blackout Stout.

You should try Big Sky's IPA if you liked their Summer Honey.

And I'm not reading through all this, but anything Dogfish Head makes is delicious.

I haven't had it yet because the runs are so limited on it but I want to try Midas Touch in the worst way.

midas.png

Dogfish Head is definately the way to go if you're looking for half-decent American breweries.

However, there aren't very many countries that can compete with the German brews. Definately worth the trip. If you can, try Veltins pilsner. I didn't have a chance to try many beers while I was in the country, but that will be the one I remember most.

Edited by Floatsam

I'd like to see some Magic Hat brews featured.

Heh. I had the Magic Hat Summer seasonal sampler tonight. I had one of each in the sampler (4). I'm no beer critic, so take my review with a grain of salt.

The 4 Magic Hat beers were the all-too-famous #9 not-so pale ale, Lucky Cat (I.P.A.), Wacko Summer Seasonal, and I believe a new one from them called Odd Notion? I don't have the bottle in front of me...

#9: Questionably my favorite summer beer this year. It has a slightly sweet taste, but still retains some of the hoppy flavor you would expect from a Pale ale. The aroma is more like a Pale than anything else, so there is still the wonderful smell of hops that I love. It is a great beer to have on a hot day, especially when really cold, but I can pretty much enjoy it anytime. :)

The Lucky Cat IPA was another great beer tonight. I am a big fan of hops, and this one has quite a bit. I've had other IPAs that I liked better, but I will definitely be having another tomorrow!

Odd Notion was really weird for me. I couldn't get a handle on what flavor they were trying to replicate or create. It was sort of sweet, but had a really strange after taste that I definitely didn't like. A few friends that had this one with me were also a little put off by the flavors, but I'd have to try another one to really get a feel for this one.

The Wacko Summer Seasonal was my last of the 4 tonight and I loved it. But, to be perfectly honest, I was smoking a hookah, had already had 3 beers and a glass of wine, and really want to review this one a different night to give it a more thorough review. lol, it was delicious though.

Very nice review from the OP! I look forward to more reviews from IRON!