Petition to Admin

Ferrous

1. I never was, nor will I ever be a spammer by any serious means, so I will not petition, or sign a petition to bring back spam forums.

2. You can modify the forums so that post counts don't count in some of the forums.

Edited by Ferrous

1. I never was, nor will I ever be a spammer by any serious means.

2. You can modify the forums so that post counts don't count in some of the forums.

1) No, but a lot of other people are (remember how popular the old SF was?), and we don't need to encourage people to be idiots.

2) See point one.

Edit: Whoa, how'd that quote get in there?

Edited by Ebony Wings

For all colours but Maroon :awesome:

Seriously, if you want a spam forum, use the Maroonity forums or something. I loved the old Green forum too but they were removed for a reason ... well I suspect two main ones:

- all those posts making things run slower

- pain in the arse to administrate (people move colour all the time)

So you have all the existing forum space on these boards, the in-game messaging system, your own alliance forums (probably) and a very large community that use IRC and which gives you the opportunity to create any kind of chat room you could possibly want.......

.......and after all that you still don't feel you have enough relevant space to discuss what you need?

Seriously?!?!

So you have all the existing forum space on these boards, the in-game messaging system, your own alliance forums (probably) and a very large community that use IRC and which gives you the opportunity to create any kind of chat room you could possibly want.......

.......and after all that you still don't feel you have enough relevant space to discuss what you need?

Seriously?!?!

Believe it or not, yes seriously.

/Oh, and consider this signed by the entire RIA.

Seriously?!?!

LOL

A good point.

However, the team forums provided accessible exclusivity - it made it easy to feel part of a smaller community. The off-site forums for the individual forums are only useful for those alliances who have been notified of their existence - on-site forums are considerably more accessible, bringing in many more players to interact with each other, on the same sphere. However, by making it password protected, it gave a sense of something exclusive - "this is MY team forum, not yours."

The counterpoint is that individual alliance forums do the same thing. They are similar, of course, but alliance forums can sometimes feel a bit "stuffy" and the community may be too small to just "kick back and relax." The team forums provided a good middle ground to the OWF and the individual alliance forums while still being accessible enough to all of the players.

Edited by Ferrous

- pain in the arse to administrate (people move colour all the time)

Yeah, but literally like half the mod team hung out on Maroon, which was humorous as none of the forum rules except the most extreme were ever enforced there despite the active mod participation. There were about a dozen pinned threads. There was a stats thread, a drama meter, a codified social hierarchy, a spam thread, a mod party thread, risk tournaments. It was a lot of fun but the laxity of rule enforcement combined with the sheer quantity of posts (and it wasn't just spam even if that's all we ever talked about) meant that board would have been tough to moderate. I'm not happy that it was closed as it was easily the best forum here even if you never spammed, but I do understand the reasoning behind it. Sort of.

I've never seen them, but I can think of huge advantages, and no disadvantages.

Please add me to the list.

Seriously?!?!

What you're saying is almost completely true, but the thing is that none of those places are organised, and even if an intra-team system were set up on IRC or alliance forums, it would have the following problems:

a) most people on the team wouldn't know about it.

B) since it wouldn't be official (i.e. actually PART of CN/the CN forums), it would lack legitimacy, and people might be reluctant to use it.

c) Someone mentioned that the team forums were password protected. I can only assume that this was to allow people on that team to develop non-public strategies for the team. IF the team forums were hosted on a non-CN website, then it would be a MASSIVE amount of work to keep the access list up-to-date. And if it was decided to go without password protection, then since anyone could see the posts/strategies, then the point of HAVING the system would be defeated - since it would no longer be secure for people to post strategies on - so they probably wouldn't use it.

The way I see it, team boards would actually allow teams to become organised, and develop into practical and functional groups in the game.

Edited by Yossarian

LOL

A good point.

However, the team forums provided accessible exclusivity - it made it easy to feel part of a smaller community. The off-site forums for the individual forums are only useful for those alliances who have been notified of their existence - on-site forums are considerably more accessible, bringing in many more players to interact with each other, on the same sphere. However, by making it password protected, it gave a sense of something exclusive - "this is MY team forum, not yours."

The counterpoint is that individual alliance forums do the same thing. They are similar, of course, but alliance forums can sometimes feel a bit "stuffy" and the community may be too small to just "kick back and relax." The team forums provided a good middle ground to the OWF and the individual alliance forums while still being accessible enough to all of the players.

So create an off-site team forum? Its exclusive. Accessible. Totally customisable to your team. Perfection!

So create an off-site team forum? Its exclusive. Accessible. Totally customisable to your team. Perfection!

It's been done, and they don't last very long, for the simple reason that people want to visit fewer, rather than more forums. Having to visit 2 forums instead of 3 (at the very least) is much easier to handle. We seem to have a very low threshold, apparently.

While I feel nostalgic when remember old black team forums I have to agree with Sponge, Doitzel and EvenStar. There are no need and any gain in bringing them back.

The whole spam issue seems to be the only disadvantage to this idea, and it could by getting a "report post" button for each post, or just getting respected players to flag spam threads/posts for actual mods.

Apart from that (and I honestly think the spam issue is being WAY overblown, it wouldn't happen if it were made VERY CLEAR that spam would NOT be tolerated, just as it is in this Open World RP forum), please see my post on Page 2 of this thread for why I think it's a great idea to bring these back.