Has the hatred between two sides lessened?

shahenshah

Has the hatred between two sides lessened?  

454 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I remember constant non-stop troll wars, taunts, one lines, No Us, blind hatred and all...we all remember it, not accusing any one side of doing it.

But what I have noticed is there is now a much more improved and positive vibe around in the OWF...after a long while.

What say you.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

War as catharsis. It happens occasionally.

Also I think that the low signal to noise ratio has drowned out a lot of the personality conflicts which tend to drive the taunting and other forms of 'undesirable' behavior. More people are posting which doesn't allow the sort of forum jousting that goes on in peacetime.

Once this war settles down, we'll see quiet for a short while and then the rivalries will start back up fresh. I do believe we'll see some interesting bedfellows postwar.

War as catharsis. It happens occasionally.

Also I think that the low signal to noise ratio has drowned out a lot of the personality conflicts which tend to drive the taunting and other forms of 'undesirable' behavior. More people are posting which doesn't allow the sort of forum jousting that goes on in peacetime.

Once this war settles down, we'll see quiet for a short while and then the rivalries will start back up fresh. I do believe we'll see some interesting bedfellows postwar.

I agree with Mr. Sponge and was going to actually use the word "catharsis" in my comment, but now that he beat me too it, I can't. <_<

Things were very tense here for a very long time and finally being able to act on the tension by blowing things up can be very, well, cathartic. I think this war will be followed by a period of peace before the next buildup, unlike the last war that just really magnified everyone's anger and laid the ground work for this blow out.

If things do end up a bit better after this war, it will be in no small part due to the fact that Karma is not, for the most part, imposing huge amounts of reparations on the Hegemony alliances. I think a lot of the problems that this war is resolving came out of the fact that MK, GR, STA, TDSM8, etc were hit with gigantic amounts of reparations that some of them could not pay. TDSM8 and SOLID didn't make it out of terms as the former disbanded and the latter was absorbed after the alliance absorbing them helped them with reps. Those reparations created a lot of resentment in the alliances that had to pay them and in the people who liked the reparations paying alliances.

I believe that Karma's comparative mercy will benefit them in the future and will give them a fairly peaceful early reign.

What say you.

I say I like you a whole lot better than I did at the start of this conflict, for what that's worth.

On the broader question - what Sponge & DK said, catharsis, all that. I've lived through too many cycles of comparative civility and comparative generalized &#33;@#&#036;%baggery to believe in permanent change. But a little air-clearing is good.

Predictions?

Dido, I for one would love to see a tattler that gave some predictions for what the world will look like and evolve to post war.

I dont think the hate has lessened, however its still early lets see what happens with the remaining alliances at war.

I would say it has increased since Karma thought the NPO would begin to show guilt but instead went the opposite in attitude. Now the NPO I think resizing its situation is getting angrier and the other side just wanting the NPO to loose faith is getting even angrier that its not happening. Its boiled past the level of yelling and trolling, I would call this time the eye of the storm before the really bad aggression starts showing.

I would say it has increased since Karma thought the NPO would begin to show guilt but instead went the opposite in attitude. Now the NPO I think resizing its situation is getting angrier and the other side just wanting the NPO to loose faith is getting even angrier that its not happening. Its boiled past the level of yelling and trolling, I would call this time the eye of the storm before the really bad aggression starts showing.

Not even close. Nobody expects the NPO to be more than what they are.

Edited by Sal Paradise

NPO is on radio silence again. That means the correct answer is maybe.

I remember being in Pacifica during the last Radio Silence...I hated it, to you Pacificans reading this topic. I hope to see you out of that soon!

There are fewer alliances at war so there's fewer people with a hard investment here now. Also, as surrender terms have been coming out it has become apparent that the "you're as bad as us!" rhetoric, which was pretty much the standby, is stupid.

I think the pounding the NPO is taking has satiated a lot of the hunger for vengeance on the karma side, while that same pounding may have humbled the loudest voices in the NPO quite a bit.

But that's a war-time anomaly, and I suspect that a decent stretch of peace time will see the same old cycle start again.

Honestly, I'm not too certain about it. Maybe the war's letting some people let go of their anger at whoever's on the other side of the cruise missile, but some others are relishing things, and perhaps the hate and anger is crystalising into contempt of thought, deed, other people, and so on. It's hard to say, but I've usually found myself seeing more negativity (or noticing it more). And just because the hate's gone down doesn't mean it's forgotten; I've found myself questioning certain posts. And I dare anyone to actually find any post I've made that's arrogant chest-beating. (Tho I've been called a propogandist a few times..)