A Conference on Africa

Uberstein

The following would be sent to all nations holding land in Africa:

320px-Standard_of_the_President_of_Sudan

Chancellor Okot Samara, leader of the state of Sudan, invites your nation to send a representative to Khartoum for a conference on the future of Africa. Among the topics discussed will be the maintenance of peace, stability, and economic cooperation. The conference will be held in the former parliamentary building of Khartoum, and ample security will be provided by the Sudanese Army and Air Force.

parliament_2_3.jpg

[Classified]

A brigade of Sudanese soldiers would be deployed specifically for securing the building, while Patriot and Starburst AA systems would be deployed around the city. The Khartoum airport would be limited to government-approved traffic, with civilian flights being redirected to other airstrips. Police began a door-to-door sweep of the city for weapons, and detaining anyone found with firearms or anti-government materials.

[End Classified]

Edited by Uberstein

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the message arrived at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, it was initially sent to the logistical department instead of directly to the minister. When the head of logistics got her hands on it, she assumed that the Minister already knew of it, and though she did find receiving a letter from another state odd, she simply shrugged her shoulders and booked a flight for the Minister himself. The Minister was unaware of the flight, until the day it was to be taken.

Not being aware of any scheduled events this Saturday, the Minister was sitting at home in his robe checking his day planner, in which he wrote all the things he was planning on doing each day. There was no mention of the flight to Khartoum. In fact, there was no mention of any events for the day, so John decided to take the day off, and laid down on the sofa to take a nap. It was then that his government-issued cell phone started vibrating, and he looked to see who it was. It was the ministry. Initially, he determined not to answer it, but then there was that small feeling that something could be wrong, so he picked it up.

"Olympio," he said, reluctantly.

"Minister, with all due respect, where the hell are you right now?" he recognized the voice, it was that of Ellen Sirleaf, his director of logistics, and a close personal friend.

"Is there somewhere that I am supposed to be?" he asked, rubbing his eyes as he forced himself to sit up.

"On the plane?" she said, rather condescendingly, "the plane to Khartoum?"

"Was I supposed to go to Khartoum for something?" he asked, now rising from the sofa and walking back upstairs to pack his bags.

"The African Unity meeting? Did you forget?"

John felt a massive sinking feeling in his gut, "I was not aware that the meeting was so soon. I don't have that on my schedule," he said, looking at his day planner once again.

"Yes, it is in fact on your schedule, but not that awful one you keep in your book. It's on the online schedule for the Ministry."

"Oh, right, that, yeah. I don't check that as often as I should," he said, smiling a half-smile and hoping that his well-known adherence to his more conventional ways of doing things would carry him through this.

"You don't. Flight leaves in 30 minutes. Be there," and there was a click followed by silence. John had to laugh, he had known Ellen for a long time, since she was a journalist for the Daily Post, but that was 26 years ago. An age, it seemed. He felt nostalgic for those days long ago, but then caught himself, and reminded himself that he was in a much, much better  situation now than  he had been back then. He packed his bag, and left for the airport.

The Cape's limited electronic capability would still allow for the diplomatic cable, hard lines had not been cut by Athenian forces yet. the message would be relayed out to Elfrieda Killam, the CIty's Foreign Minister would be dispatched to the conference, hoping diplomatic immunity would be enforced for the duration.

Edited by Mogar

Imperial Ambassador Lugo Kresh, of the newly reformed Imperial Gabon Diplomatic Corp, would be dispatched to this meeting in Sudan whilst accompanied by two Imperial soldiers as bodyguards. These soldiers traveled without arms as to not anger or threaten the Sudan or other national diplomats but they were trained in hand to hand combat and would risk their lives to protect Kresh. 

Arriving by private chartered plane at the Khartoum airport Kresh in his stylish deep crimson ambassador's uniform would travel to the old parliamentary building and go inside to meet the Sudan diplomat and any other national diplomats that may have already arrived. His two bodyguards would stay a step behind and to his side the entire time. 

OOC: I'll start the conference in full on Wednesday, to give people time to get to it. If you own land in Africa, assume that your aircraft/boats/fairy-powered-rocket-trains were allowed into the nation and that your representative safely arrived at the building. Feel free to mingle. :P

Representative Nadel Aksambi walked around the meeting hall trying to find refreshments

Denard finds the wet bar and sets Representative Nadel Aksambi up with the refreshment that suits his/her tastes. 

"Thousands of our own people are dying every moment war continues to rage upon our continent, I also would like to begin discussions as soon as possible."

"I agree, time is not cheap when it is measured in human lives. Let's get this conference started."

After finally finding a drink he would seat himself next to the representative from The Cape. He turned to the representative "My government deeply would like to help out The Cape."

"Legion does not have an official position on the Cape at this time. The history of South Africa, now the Dominion of Draka, is a long and complex one. However, we are open to holding talks on the subject and believe there is room for some sort of resolution."

Edited by Tidy Bowl Man

"We do not wish to see any further needless bloodshed, millions in our city will mourn the losses of their family members, there is no need to put your nation though the same traumas and rebuilding we will have to do if we can achieve peace. Africa is a continent with a history like that of Erysichthon, continually eating itself. Perhaps with all of us together under one roof we can create a new future for the continent."

Edited by Mogar

OOC: As a friendly reminder, everyone coming to the conference is patted down for weapons. A spy roll would be needed if you wish to bring anything other than your bare fists into this building.

IC:

In the lobby outside the actual meeting chamber was a fully stocked bar, a small musical ensemble playing local music, and paintings of various nature scenes from all across Africa. The representatives would have a chance to mingle and speak privately with one-another prior to the actually agenda-driven discussion.

Elfrieda pours herself a glass of Bordeaux, the powerpoint presentation was interesting to her, but she already had known the potential of the transafrican railway, since it had brought the majority of raw materials to build the metal cake.

Imperial Ambassador Kresh would watch the Legion presentation with an air of haughtiness and arrogance. The details being presented bored him but the idea of a massive African wide rail network did intrigue him and he would withdraw a data pad to begin typing up some quick notes.  

With the powerpoint display over, J. Denard turns his attention to the representative from Draka and asks, "With respect, my government would like to better understand the Drakan position on the recent attack on Cape City. Could you, and I ask with respect as your government from all appearances has tamed a rather unruly section of Africa, explain your governments actions so that we might all better understand them?

I will point out to those gathered there that Legion's experience with the South African, now Drakan, region has always been one in which the various native groups have not always been able to coexist. Very early in Legion's history, before Athens came to Africa, South Africa was a place of repression and disharmony. Drakan moves seems to have created a much more united region free of some of the more troubling ethnic divisions. 

Yet, the Cape City question remains and given Draka's efforts to create a more unified society free of the odious taint of apartheid, I feel it appropriate to have Draka help us all understand the situation more."

Edited by Tidy Bowl Man

The doors of the meeting chamber would swing open, and a soldier in dress uniform would announce that the meeting would begin shortly, and that everyone should take their seats. Inside the angular room, placards had been placed along the first row of tables, each with a different represented nation's name. The nations were seated in alphabetical order, in a clockwise formation. Chancellor Samara stood behind a podium near the center.

The doors of the meeting chamber would swing open, and a soldier in dress uniform would announce that the meeting would begin shortly, and that everyone should take their seats. Inside the angular room, placards had been placed along the first row of tables, each with a different represented nation's name. The nations were seated in alphabetical order, in a clockwise formation. Chancellor Samara stood behind a podium near the center.

Denard finds sitting between Gabon and Madagascar, once seated, he repeats his question that he previous asked of the Drakan representative.