A Conference on Africa

Uberstein

"If Imperial Gabon is so intent on being unhelpful, then why are you at a negotiation for a treaty? If you're here simply to antagonize, then there is no reason for us to include your opinion in the discussion. It is completely childish to come to a negotiation about African Unity, and then antagonize the other members with the belief that Gabon should never help any nation in Africa. Any economic treaty I put forward will have mandatory segments for those that sign it, that's the reality of how treaties work. Be it as simple as not holding tariffs on other signatory goods, or something more along the lines of guaranteed humanitarian aid. Speak of which, I think that is a fine idea. Sudan formally proposes that signatories into this African Union have a minimum commitment to humanitarian aid in the event of natural disasters. Sudan also proposes that the denial of non-government, civilian refugees be considered a crime within the African Union; which follows the spirit of Sudan's own policies on the preservation of life and Human dignity."

Edited by Uberstein

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"That isn't what I am saying you idiot. I am saying that no nation should have to be forced by this agreement to help any other African nation unless they so wish to do so. That includes nations other than Imperial Gabon. Do you understand what I am saying? Or do I need to put it into pictures for you?"

"I agree that no other nations should be forced to aid anyone, more importantly, no one should be forced to aid Gabon."

"Imperial Gabon has no problem with providing basic humanitarian aid to any nation that requires it, we never have. It is also not childish to be thinking of Imperial Citizens first. Unlike clearly all you other nations Imperial Gabon places the welfare of it's own citizens first as a priority, The Council of Lords represents the people of Gabon first and Africa second and is expected to ensure that Imperial citizens do not suffer as a result".

"Now clearly you require more explanation of what I meant though I had thought the meaning of my words clear. Imperial Gabon does not wish to be locked into any sort of agreement where we would be forced to help other nations develop and grow. Whilst development and growth is important it is also important that the growth of Imperial Gabon not be restricted in kind".

"To put it simply if you can promise me that Imperial Gabon will not have its own growth restricted by any agreement then we will gladly sign an economic agreement".

"Also I apologise to the Legion representative for calling you an idiot. It was out of line". 

Edited by Kevin Kingswell

"Over a million Capean citizens have died so far, for no reason other than Draka decided we should not exist, do not claim you would aid fellow African nations when you support African blood being spilled for no purpose other than expansionism.

"Over a million Capean citizens have died so far, for no reason other than Draka decided we should not exist, do not claim you would aid fellow African nations when you support African blood being spilled for no purpose other than expansionism.

"We can still support actions and still provide aid. Whilst the Dominion's actions may be extreme we are in no position to influence them in any kind. Yet basic humanitarian aid such as food and water and tents for shelter can still be provided by Imperial Gabon once the situation allows us to".

"It seems there is no opposition to the idea of minimum humanitarian aid, nor to the inability to refuse non-government civilian refugees. Unless there are objections to these two points, I'd like to move on to a third proposition; the removal of tariffs between the member states of the proposed African Union. Member-state goods would be able to freely flow between other member nations, encouraging closer economic ties, and overall raising the standard of living in all participating nations."

"If Imperial Gabon is so intent on being unhelpful, then why are you at a negotiation for a treaty? If you're here simply to antagonize, then there is no reason for us to include your opinion in the discussion. It is completely childish to come to a negotiation about African Unity, and then antagonize the other members with the belief that Gabon should never help any nation in Africa. Any economic treaty I put forward will have mandatory segments for those that sign it, that's the reality of how treaties work. Be it as simple as not holding tariffs on other signatory goods, or something more along the lines of guaranteed humanitarian aid. Speak of which, I think that is a fine idea. Sudan formally proposes that signatories into this African Union have a minimum commitment to humanitarian aid in the event of natural disasters. Sudan also proposes that the denial of non-government, civilian refugees be considered a crime within the African Union; which follows the spirit of Sudan's own policies on the preservation of life and Human dignity."

Refused.  Infringing on sovereign states or making declarations of criminality is outside the jurisdicion of these states and belongs solely in the UN Security Council and sovereign rights of states.  Further the Imperial Military retains the right to blockade any nation and any material or personnel in and out of a country regardless of geographic location, at times and places of its choosing so as to preserve peace and security.  Blanket declarations such as yours are niave and offer loopholes the size of mac trucks through which to enable terrorists, transnational criminals, and war profiteers to name a few.  

"If Tianxia is unhappy with what the other members here wish to sign, they are free to not sign. Nobody is forcing your signature. You were invited here to be part of a discussion, not to give ultimatums or rant about how your army gets to go everywhere and hit anyone you like, or how you reserve the right to murder refugees. Frankly, given Tianxia's overall attitude during these talks, my same statement of antagonism extends to you. If you don't wish to discuss these issues, then you're free to leave."

Edited by Uberstein

I'm sorry, I did not realize this conference was a series of take it or leave it dictats from the nation of Sudan.  With barely anyone at this inputting, you add an amendment in that restricts a state's sovereign rights, and then you move on, and try to make it part of a treaty.  Perhaps what Sudan is truly attempting to achieve is a bifarcation of the African Continent and a destabilizing of the Cape Accord system?

"Nobody else opposed the motion. Tianxia is only one voice here. Nobody else but you has raised issue with the proposal, and thus I assume that nobody else opposes it. I've asked twice, do you want me to ask a third time? What I'm trying to achieve here is a pact which emphases unity and non-conflict. If all member nations are closely tied together economically, and have a forum to bring issues too, then conflict can be avoided. However, I recognize that some nations seem intent on being antagonistic, as they see such a pact as opposite to their interests. I have no patience for antagonism, it's as simple as that."

"I for one am glad the United Nations has finally been mentioned. I move we have an immediate vote to remove the representative from Madagascar as the African representative to the UNSC.

Their lack of effort on the Cape City issue is highly concerning and Legion wishes a more vocal representative to represent Africa at the UNSC.

As for an economic pact, Legion will sign onto such a pact, depending upon the fine print.

Whereas resolving African issues is a far more difficult problem. Given nations outside of Africa have so frequently used African conflicts to increase their own regional influence or to strike at other major powers through those conflicts, Legion finds it best to collaborate with Athens on the matter of African security affairs for the time being. 

Perhaps though, an assembly of African leaders could be created for working together to resolve those issues through negotiations and means other than war. Such an assembly could go quite the distance in keeping the corruption and ineptitude of the United Nations well away from our doors." 

"Sierra Leone would be more than glad to support the removal of Madagascar as the African representative to the UNSC. We would also be willing to accept an assembly as proposed by the Legion delegate. While my current government is not wholeheartedly opposed to the removal of all foreign influence in Africa, we can see some benefit to Athenian collaboration."

Imperial Diplomat Ludo Kresh was interrupted by a loud beeping noise from his personal data assistant. He took it out, scrolled through and read the message sent to him before pocketing the device and turning back to speak to everyone assembled. "I have just been informed Imperial Gabon places full support behind forming the African Union".