[quote name='Azaghul' timestamp='1357074990' post='3070235']
GATO resolved to continue their existence in spite of a severe beating and not let themselves be destroyed. \m/ didn't. There's really no way of getting around that.
[/quote]
I also think that as the years go by, the alliance communities we have are more close knit. Disbandment was a major deal, but not uncommon. Now, it's pretty much unfathomable because people would rather hit ZI and stay with friends they've known for 5+ years now.

With that said, I don't think \m/ had the leadership that a lot of alliances have now, but that was contrasted by the fact that Sponge disbanded alliances all the time and the last leader we saw like that was Ramirius and look what happened to him. Planet Bob just doesn't tollerate leaders like that anymore.

I remember the night Virilius (sp) was like, "$&#@ it, we are nuking". We did believe that Sponge was going to disband us and with TPF's betrayal, that war was already over. And I don't think you can argue that Sponge wasn't serious. He'd done it many times before and we were far more hated by him than the other's he disbanded.

Edited by Steve Buscemi

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Steve Buscemi' timestamp='1357083628' post='3070279']
I also think that as the years go by, the alliance communities we have are more close knit. Disbandment was a major deal, but not uncommon. Now, it's pretty much unfathomable because people would rather hit ZI and stay with friends they've known for 5+ years now.

With that said, I don't think \m/ had the leadership that a lot of alliances have now, but that was contrasted by the fact that Sponge disbanded alliances all the time and the last leader we saw like that was Ramirius and look what happened to him. Planet Bob just doesn't tollerate leaders like that anymore.

I remember the night Virilius (sp) was like, "$&#@ it, we are nuking". We did believe that Sponge was going to disband us and with TPF's betrayal, that war was already over. And I don't think you can argue that Sponge wasn't serious. He'd done it many times before and we were far more hated by him than the other's he disbanded.
[/quote]
Yea, it was a different time. That doesn't change the fact that it's pretty pathetic to talk about how bad GATO was when they had the cojones and strength to survive and his alliance didn't.

[quote name='Azaghul' timestamp='1357101079' post='3070356']
Yea, it was a different time. That doesn't change the fact that it's pretty pathetic to talk about how bad GATO was when they had the cojones and strength to survive and his alliance didn't.
[/quote]
I agree with you there. GATO certainly is one of the strongest survior stories around, can't take that away from them.

[quote name='kerschbs' timestamp='1356818147' post='3069213']
Takes a lot of balls to call out an alliance with about 60% of your NS.

Edit: Especially when Alterego was the one saying DH knew about the attack and committed a valid CB.
[/quote]

[quote name='D34th' timestamp='1356823424' post='3069247']
Also takes a lot of balls to brag about wars that you won when the other side has less than 60% of your side NS, but that never stopped a GATO to brag about it.
[/quote]

I just love how GATO talks about it taking balls to call out AA's when multiple members of their Govt [b]freely admitted[/b] on our forums they [u]lacked[/u] the balls to DoW SF proper and instead declared on MHA before I told them to get out and we closed their embassy. :lol1:

Edited by DeathAdder

[quote name='DeathAdder' timestamp='1357220405' post='3070908']
I just love how GATO talks about it taking balls to call out AA's when multiple members of their Govt [b]freely admitted[/b] on our forums they [u]lacked[/u] the balls to DoW SF proper and instead declared on MHA before I told them to get out and we closed their embassy. :lol1:
[/quote]
:rolleyes:

Yet another example of someone who has absolutely no room to talk trying to bash GATO.

[quote name='DeathAdder' timestamp='1357276115' post='3071150']
Yes, because both sides spouting off the same insults at each other in multiple threads on the OWF is so much better than just ignoring the comment. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

So why are you still doing that?

[quote name='Azaghul' timestamp='1357101079' post='3070356']
[/quote]

If people talk of how bad GATO was, it's because of people like you who over the years have talked about how bad GATO was/is. Actually my own personal observation having tried to work with them while I was with Browncoats was that they were too stubborn for their own good and and mostly in the way when it came to uniting Brown Team.

There are any number of alliances around here that can claim to be awesome merely because they have existed as a community for so long, but how many of them are actually awesome? Not nearly as many. Longevity is something to be proud of, but it's not all there is. If it were, no one would talk about how awesome NAAC was, and I have yet to find someone I'd take seriously that claims that NAAC was anything but an outstanding alliance and it was a loss to Planet Bob when they disbanded.

Edited by ChairmanHal

[quote name='D34th' timestamp='1357323857' post='3071266']
As I said before unlike NAAC, \m/ was an mediocre alliance and nothing of value was lost when they disbanded.
[/quote]
My innocence was lost. Is that not something of value? Also, I've gotta be the only \-/ member that never raided.

I just want you to love me.

[quote name='Steve Buscemi' timestamp='1357420511' post='3071745']
[/quote]

Dinner.
Roses.
A FIrst Kiss.

Those have to come before love.

Also, in all seriousness, why are we all still posting here? We really need a war if we are this bored.

[quote name='Steve Buscemi' timestamp='1357420511' post='3071745']
My innocence was lost. Is that not something of value? Also, I've gotta be the only \-/ member that never raided.

[/quote]

You can buy my love with some beers.

[quote name='Buds The Man' timestamp='1356797812' post='3069124']
So what your saying here is that your intentionally trying to provoke a defensive war here because you wont just out and out declare on us.
[/quote]

Oldest game on bob. Keep your powders dry and your warchests high and it'll be a'ight though.

[quote name='Aeros' timestamp='1356982229' post='3069877']
Ai has been Rogued three times in the last couple of weeks (counting these two) and every time we've tried to set up a good stagger and the right nations to handle the job properly people have jumped in,and busted the stagger anyhow filling slots before we could get our own nations in on the attack. It left our guys alone without alliance support. [/quote]

This is just sorry behaviour whenever anyone does it. I can see the point that Tim is Tim and no one could stop him from declaring a war he wanted to declare anymore than anyone could do the same to me - but an alliance has to set limits and lines and take responsibility for its members as well. If an alliance isnt taking reasonable steps to deter their members from doing this, isnt taking responsibility for their actions, and wont withdraw protection from members who do such thing, it sounds to me like a very good reason to regard that members actions as authorised or at least condoned and supported by the alliance. Or else to simply quit recognising that AA as an alliance all together, if they are simply too disorganised to be responsive, but I dont see any sign that is the case here.

[quote name='ChairmanHal' timestamp='1357015147' post='3070065']
There were NO terms given to \m/ aside from being a perpetual tech farm and those were his final terms for us.
[/quote]

I said it then and I'll say it today - asking for terms a week in? Hello? It would have been shocking weakness on Sponges part to offer you anything else so quickly and you have to know that. Even the GPA fought for over a month. I like you Hal and I always have, but this argument is a loser for you every time it comes up.

[quote name='Steve Buscemi' timestamp='1357083628' post='3070279']
[/quote]

Bob never did, and more is the shame.

[quote name='Masterof9puppets' timestamp='1357035781' post='3070099']
Who gifted me a 25 dollar donation and for what purpose? [/quote]

Wow. That'd be someone with a massive grudge against AI and no cojones at all, I'd say.

Edited by Sigrun Vapneir

[quote name='Sigrun Vapneir' timestamp='1357698418' post='3073001']
I said it then and I'll say it today - asking for terms a week in? Hello? It would have been shocking weakness on Sponges part to offer you anything else so quickly and you have to know that. Even the GPA fought for over a month. I like you Hal and I always have, but this argument is a loser for you every time it comes up.[/quote]

1. The conversation wasn't my idea, but as Triumvir, I was bound to participate. I followed Jason8's lead on the issue. Actually, I'm fairly certain that it was originally initiated mostly for OOC reasons--that is to say, a certain OOC incident happened that GOONS was warned well in advance that if it happen, there would be consequences. Disbanding was seen as a) a temporary measure, a retreat until we could regroup; b) a final FU to Sponge since no alliance = no terms = no billions in reps; c) a way to save our people from being slaughtered so that they could live to fight another day; d) some or all of the above; e) something else entirely. Each of us (Jason8, myself, WarriorConcept) brought our own ideas to the table in making a decision and had our own thoughts on why, how. To this day, I'm not even sure why I wasn't hunted down and my nation PZIed by Polaris. I have always attributed to the fact that I wasn't important so long as \m/ didn't exist. That only serves to reinforce my belief that the objective was to destroy the alliance, not seek a punishing peace after a long fight. What Sponge didn't count on was that killing an AA is far easier than killing the sense of community people feel for each other.

2. Other alliances, our allies, were dropping out of the war like flies...both for IC and OOC reasons. We were outnumbered well over 3:1 after a week of fighting and there was no prospect of any other alliance coming to our aid, either financially or militarily (once again I'd like to thank NPO for breaking its treaty with us even though they were publicly reminded of their responsibilities by yours truly on the OWF in the weeks leading up to the war...). The topper was our Minister of Defense rage quit the alliance (again OOC reasons related to what GOONS did) and then joined his old alliance, Atlantis, which was at war with us at the time.

3. Do you really want to compare the rape of GPA to the UjW? Apples and lug nuts, forget apples and oranges. What happened to GPA was more similar to what happened to GOONS than \m/ and it was all done IC. It's a miracle that GPA even still exist as an alliance.

I am emphatic about there being a clear line between certain IC and OOC characters actions for a reason. Had Bilrow not been a topic of conversation in September 2007 the war would have went much longer, and it's possible that the UjP could have won it. Or not. That's just it--we'll never know. You cannot pass judgment on how \m/ performed in a definitive way as a result. The results are tainted.

[quote]Wow. That'd be someone with a massive grudge against AI and no cojones at all, I'd say.[/quote]

Likely the result of some pretty major lulz or a clerical error. It seems to have changed little.