The Roman Empire moves boldly to war

Schad

[quote name='Schad' timestamp='1299709687' post='2657987']
Aww, were things too close to even? C'mon in Marcus, the water's warm.
[/quote]

there's no obligation for the sides to be even when your objective is destroying the cowards who ruin TE

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='lazaraus45' timestamp='1299710084' post='2657992']
there's no obligation for the sides to be even when your objective is destroying the cowards who ruin TE
[/quote]

Out of curiosity, to which side was that directed?

[quote name='dy Cazaril' timestamp='1299710299' post='2657998']
Out of curiosity, to which side was that directed?
[/quote]

Read my post.

Confusion.

[quote name='lazaraus45' timestamp='1299710084' post='2657992']
[/quote]

I love the Orwellian nature of what's going on here. Cowards = alliances who think that fights are more enjoyable when they're relatively fair, rather than lopsided curbstomps.

Who're you running with these days? Last time I remember interacting with you was when SF decided to hit a bunch of much smaller AAs who were either already involved in -- or just coming out of -- a war. History repeats itself and all that jazz.

[quote name='Confusion' timestamp='1299710292' post='2657997']
And to add to Laz's post, We're referring to Ordo Paradoxia.

Confusion.
[/quote]

As someone who hasn't been on Steve but for a short time [OOC: this round was my first in a year or two], what happened exactly, if you don't mind laying it out? I honestly don't know and am curious.

[quote name='Confusion' timestamp='1299710292' post='2657997']
We're referring to Ordo Paradoxia.

[/quote]

Not that Pork Shrimp have acted with much more dignity, they claim to be an elite fighting force (which i concede that they are, the best probably) everyone knows this will be a deterrant, PS complains so much about not having any defensive wars, this round they finally got one, you think they'd be happy, but no, the only AA to declare on them in a while and they respond by holding them at war for longer than needed, an effecitive tactic, i don't think anyone will hit PS early in the round again anytime soon, of course some AA's don't like that an AA would hold another at war for simply being willing to fight a fair fight, when one decided to move against PS they sure were quick enough to declare victory over GR and even that they did with a complete lack of humility,

great news PS, you and OP deserve each other and more importantly you both deserve to burn.

Edited by lazaraus45

[quote name='lazaraus45' timestamp='1299710717' post='2658009']
Not that Pork Shrimp have acted with much more dignity, they claim to be an elite fighting force (which i concede that they are, the best probably) everyone knows this will be a deterrant, PS complains so much about not having any defensive wars, this round they finally got one, you think they'd be happy, but no, the only AA to declare on them in a while and they respond by holding them at war for longer than needed, an effecitive tactic, i don't think anyone will hit PS early in the round again anytime soon, of course some AA's don't like that an AA would hold another at war for simply being willing to fight a fair fight, when one decided to move against PS they declared victory over GR and even that they do with a complete lack of humility,

great news PS, you and OP deserve each other and more importantly you both deserve to burn.
[/quote]

Heh, it wasn't intended as a deterrent...I enjoy defensive wars because it takes more organization and coordination to pull out a win, and GR caught us on the back foot (oddly, their blitz would've been much more successful if not for one thing: we saw G-6 build up and expected an attack; they hit LE et al the same night instead).

We continued fighting because the response of GR's leader to our initial suggestion that they admit defeat was a statement that they'd spend the full sixty days fighting us. So, naturally, we continued fighting. We tried repeatedly to seek said leader out later for peace, and were met with the response that he wasn't actually their leader. So we declared peace and intended to move on. It sure as heck wasn't that GR threw themselves at our mercy and were denied it. A good many of the individual GR nations that we fought were great; good-humoured, and many kept fighting until the bitter end, which is rarely the case. It's why I gave shoutouts to a number of them in the DoW thread...while they lacked coordination (a common thing in TE, and more common given that they're also fighting wars in SE), many of them fought like maniacs, and it was good fun.

On the aggressor/defender thing, my feeling has always been this: the aggressor starts the war; the defender ends it. There [i]should[/i] be an element of risk to declaring war on someone, which is why many of us consider contingencies should our plans go awry. In this case, for their troubles GR fought for perhaps three days longer than they otherwise would (given the five-day war length), and a good portion of that owed to the inability of our people to reach their people and vice versa.

But really, this is all window-dressing. You're gonna do what you're gonna do not because you're punishing OP's 'cowardice' or PS's lack of humility. You're going to do it because you think that this time you might actually win. And you might. But that'll all come out in the wash.

[quote name='Schad' timestamp='1299711827' post='2658028']
But really, this is all window-dressing. You're gonna do what you're gonna do not because you're punishing OP's 'cowardice' or PS's lack of humility. You're going to do it because you think that this time you might actually win. And you might. But that'll all come out in the wash.
[/quote]

[i]I[/i] might actually win? i'm not confusion, i don't play TE for the power, what motive would i have to want to win againt you other than what was stated above?

Not that Pork Shrimp have acted with much more dignity, they claim to be an elite fighting force (which i concede that they are, the best probably) everyone knows this will be a deterrant, PS complains so much about not having any defensive wars, this round they finally got one, you think they'd be happy, but no, the only AA to declare on them in a while and they respond by holding them at war for longer than needed, an effecitive tactic, i don't think anyone will hit PS early in the round again anytime soon, of course some AA's don't like that an AA would hold another at war for simply being willing to fight a fair fight, when one decided to move against PS they sure were quick enough to declare victory over GR and even that they did with a complete lack of humility,

[/quote]

Perhaps us 'holding them at war' came from the fact that during peace talks they threatened to continue to re-roll nations and attack us for the entire round.

On more than one occasion.

And then they started re-rolling nations into a new alliance, assumedly for this purpose.

So you have someone re-rolling nations away from the fight and threatening to continue to attack you with one breath, whilst asking for you to peace them out with another, its no huge leap to act cautiously and believe that their peace request is tied to their threat, and they only wish to get back on their feet to attack you again.

If you are at war with someone and you want to peace out, maybe leave the threats out of the discussion.

So perhaps the 'lack of humility' came from the above plus their defacto leader then backtracking and claiming that their alliance has no leadership, organisation, or ability to actually do anything, which, had they informed us prior instead of throwing about apparent empty threats, maybe would have saved everyone a hell of a lot of time, and their alliance a hell of a lot of damage.

[/quote]
Oh come on Laz. That's just wrong.

Here are a couple snips from discussions:

<Inst> "Pork Shrimp defeats Gay Rollers. Hostilities end at update."
<Inst> Checking how he feels about that.
<Jack_Shepard> we're fine with that

(We had to talk to Inst because no one else was willing to talk to us.) Is the above really that bad? (By the way, they never responded to that.)

This is what they wanted:
<Inst> Soft version: Gay Rollers is unable to continue hostilities with Pork Shrimp owing to logistical and organizational lack.

Now that is bad.

We weren't asking to humiliate them. We simply wanted a recognition of defeat. However, when they (SouthernC/CodeHacker) decided to just stop trying to get peace, make excuses, etc. we decided oh well, maybe they don't deserve for us to be that nice.

We don't mind defensive wars and we don't mind bloody wars.

Anyways, Schad probably covered it better than I could. So be it.

Edited by bcortell

[quote name='Schad' timestamp='1299711827' post='2658028']
We continued fighting because the response of GR's leader to our initial suggestion that they admit defeat was a statement that they'd spend the full sixty days fighting us.
[/quote]

The first threat came before any request of us for anything, and it came when there was no clear victor.

On day 3 of the war SouthernC contacted us and asked us if we wanted to peace it out.

Things were still quite even at that point (see war stats), no-one had any real advantage, PS had barely gotten on their backs after the blitz and hadn't gotten quadded nations out of anarchy. I saw no point in peacing things out that early before we had a chance to fight back.

He responded stating that if we refused to peace out they will re-roll and attack for the entire round, heres the initial threat;

[quote]15:33 C0d3_Hack3r nah:D if we agree on a peace, i dont hold no grudge ,just all in good fun this round,
15:33 C0d3_Hack3r you guys look bored last round
15:33 Jack_Shepard I don;t think we are ready for peace yet... you guys poked a sleeping bear and we are just waking up.
15:34 C0d3_Hack3r what everman, then we keep rerolling fun all round lol [/quote]

So we are supposed to agree to a hit and run war?

You blitz someone, damage them, and then request peace before they can effectively retaliate, and threaten to continue to attack them for the rest of the round if they don't?

The threat came up again in the second round of discussions, and by this time they had begun to re-roll nations into the new alliance.

It was only after the initial threat was made that we requested for them to admit defeat if they wished to gain peace, so I say again, if you want someone to peace you out, maybe leave the threats at home.

Edited by Jack Shepard

they sure were quick enough to declare victory over GR and even that they did with a complete lack of humility,
[/quote]

humility? No need to swear, lazaraus45, although at least it was in context of us having a complete lack of...of...THAT word ;)

[quote name='Confusion' timestamp='1299625355' post='2657123']
Once again, I'm aware of what happened - And you did in fact deny them peace until they posted some crap on the OWF.

Confusion.
[/quote]
And why do you even care about GR? I thought you hated them.

Aw sweet. Little ole me with no nukes took about 500 infra from three of their guys in the first 20 minutes I was in the war quadding, so next update the romans send someone with 3x my infra who probably had to sell land to come for me. At least I'm moderately entertained.

Oh, and he lost on the ground twice.

KaiserMilch sent me a message letting me know I was fighting capable romans. I really can't seem to figure out which ones those are.

[quote name='paul711' timestamp='1299727364' post='2658218']
And why do you even care about GR? I thought you hated them.
[/quote]

in case the G-6 fighting alongside warriors didn't give it away, G-6 is trying to put an end to several grudges this round.

[quote name='lazaraus45' timestamp='1299778515' post='2658670']
in case the G-6 fighting alongside warriors didn't give it away, G-6 is trying to put an end to several grudges this round.
[/quote]

Not all of them though, if your "fearless" leader's comments in these threads are any indication.

[quote name='Cellardoor' timestamp='1299779701' post='2658703']
Not all of them though, if your "fearless" leader's comments in these threads are any indication.
[/quote]

I don't have a leader so the jab is wasted, also whether or not the grudge continues is completely on you, we're just giving our opinion as our several other people in this thread.

[quote name='lazaraus45' timestamp='1299779899' post='2658711']
I don't have a leader so the jab is wasted, also whether or not the grudge continues is completely on you, we're just giving our opinion as our several other people in this thread.
[/quote]

Wasn't talking about PS. He's been taking shots at OP about round's past in these threads (can't remember if it was this one or the other)

And you're in G-6, no?...I was under the impression that was Confusion's band of wayward souls this round. My mistake if that's incorrect.

[quote name='lazaraus45' timestamp='1299778515' post='2658670']
[/quote]

Grudges? Interesting. TE resets every 60 days. I wonder why that simple concept seems so difficult for some to understand. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Cellardoor' timestamp='1299780110' post='2658718']
Wasn't talking about PS. He's been taking shots at OP about round's past in these threads (can't remember if it was this one or the other)

And you're in G-6, no?...I was under the impression that was Confusion's band of wayward souls this round. My mistake if that's incorrect.
[/quote]

i can't speak for Confusion, but for me the OP-G-6 thing isn't a grudge, it's principle, OP are should burn because they're parasites, they'll sell out every ally they've ever had when the going gets tough, but only once they have a new set of friends of course, in fact i'm not sure i've seen a round (since i became politically active) where LE didn't sell someone out. in short, what good will speaking friendly about someone do when that alliance has no qualms in screwing their friends over.

And yes i'm in G-6, but i do my own thing, as i always have.

[quote name='Thomasj_tx' timestamp='1299780675' post='2658733']
Grudges? Interesting. TE resets every 60 days. I wonder why that simple concept seems so difficult for some to understand. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

of course you would think that, if everyone kept grudges OP wouldn't exist anymore,

Edited by lazaraus45

[quote name='lazaraus45' timestamp='1299781230' post='2658752']
of course you would think that, if everyone kept grudges OP wouldn't exist anymore,
[/quote]

Baseless grudges are just, well, baseless.