CN Art SOTW #15 - Moderator Colours

Marneus Calgar

[quote name='Believland' timestamp='1283136522' post='2435341']
[img]http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/4607/43901039.png[/img]

[code]BEazy-[img]http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/4607/43901039.png[/img][/code]
[/quote]

I support this. It should be used in the following poll.

Edited by Emperor Brutus

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a [i][b]real[/b][/i] artist, I would also like to register a complaint against this week's theme. My fellow [i][b]real[/b][/i] artists and I realize the absurdity of working around a single colour. No [i][b]real[/b][/i] artist in history has ever engaged in such a barbaric practice. And therefore, from among the [i][b]real[/b][/i] artists in this contest, those of us displeased with the theme are real[i][b]er[/b][/i] artists. Next week, please consider our opinions and choose a subject better suited for [i][b]real[/b][/i] art, like a video game character.

Edited by Sal Paradise

[quote name='Sal Paradise' timestamp='1283275630' post='2437202']
As a [i][b]real[/b][/i] artist, I would also like to register a complaint against this week's theme. My fellow [i][b]real[/b][/i] artists and I realize the absurdity of working around a single colour. No [i][b]real[/b][/i] artist in history has ever engaged in such a barbaric practice. And therefore, from among the [i][b]real[/b][/i] artists in this contest, those of us displeased with the theme are real[i][b]er[/b][/i] artists. Next week, please consider our opinions and choose a subject better suited for [i][b]real[/b][/i] art, like a video game character.
[/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you and several others here are complaining that the theme, based around using a color, is not suitable for this contest. In fact, you would prefer if the contest was based around, say, a [i]video-game character[/i].

So the theme that guarantees the most creativity, while not limiting one to the stock art he or she uses but rather just the color, is bad, but you'd like to be limited by the stock art (or perhaps your own drawing) of whatever the theme was.

First you guys !@#$%*ed and moaned, claiming that the use of renders and stock art is plagiarism. Next, you're saying that the contest should essentially mandate the use of renders and stock art in order to be fun. That's really what it all comes down to.

Also, in case you didn't know, the style of using only one color is known as monochrome. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monochrome_painting

[IMG]http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq31/cduggan81d/rndmshiz/SoTW15Red.png[/IMG]
[code]Rayvon - [IMG]http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq31/cduggan81d/rndmshiz/SoTW15Red.png[/IMG][/code]

Clearly, primary colour is red. Stock photo is my own. Quote is by Octavio Paz, a Mexican writer and poet.

---------
For the possible naysayers on ownership,
[code]http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq31/cduggan81d/rndmshiz/ScreenShotofAlbumsFolder.png[/code]
Screenshot of my albums folder. Highlighted image is stock photo used.

Edited by Rayvon

[quote name='Sal Paradise' timestamp='1283220314' post='2436456']
[IMG]http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww287/sparadise34/warholandsoup.png[/IMG]

[code]Sal Paradise-[IMG]http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww287/sparadise34/warholandsoup.png[/IMG][/code]

A serious submission.
[/quote]
Hahahaha, pure win.

Also you'll be hearing from Campbell's lawyers.

Edited by der Rote Baron

[quote name='D34th' timestamp='1283235863' post='2436807']
The childish behavior in this boards sometimes amazes me, it's incredible, people are still complaining.
[/quote]

Yes it's childish to be mad that your signature has been denied just for the fact that we didn't use a $300 dollar program to make it. Or maybe you're just worried that the sigs might win. Who knows?

If you think that our art is bad to bad, that's not your place to decide. I personally think that most modern art looks like !@#$ on a canvas but that doesn't stop people spending millions of dollars to buy it.

[quote name='Mr Damsky' timestamp='1283302741' post='2437647']
Yes it's childish to be mad that your signature has been denied just for the fact that we didn't use a $300 dollar program to make it. Or maybe you're just worried that the sigs might win. Who knows?

If you think that our art is bad to bad, that's not your place to decide. I personally think that most modern art looks like !@#$ on a canvas but that doesn't stop people spending millions of dollars to buy it.
[/quote]

Retail Price - $300 program
Price most people paid - Whatever it cost for them to download the torrent.

[quote name='Davian Thule' timestamp='1283253655' post='2436939']
So you're saying that everyone who made a sig for any SOTW contest in history just plagiarised it from someone else? :lol1:
[/quote]

(responding to a question posed by op, I hope staff find this agreeable)

No, I never said this. And I don't see how you could interpret what I wrote that way. I am referring to those who did use stock images/renders and did not give any credit to the original artist. Next time, read my post with your eyes open please :)

[quote name='okandjo' timestamp='1283253213' post='2436931']
Agreed, adding colour filters on other ARTISTS' creations...
Adding fire/ice/swirls/clouds on other ARTISTS' creations...
and not giving any credit to the original artist for which your piece of work is BASED upon?

It's funny how no one has given a reason why submissions shouldn't show the original images that they use in their signature, other than "We are the self-appointed rule makers, so we decide."

At least give credit by name.
[b]imo, that is just showing basic respect to other artists, and if you do not have this respect than you do not deserve other people's respect as an artist.[/b]
[/quote]

Actually up until fairly recently, I used JASC Paint Shop Pro 7. Now, for those of us who have been doing this for a while, we know that JASC was bought out by Corel, and PSP7 - PSP9 is now FREE. In terms of performance, it's not as good as say, Photoshop, however, if you know how to work it, and you're up against someone that isn't a Photoshop god (which is most of us), then you can definitely come out on top. I prefer PSP over Photoshop for its user-friendliness. Now, if you absolutely MUST have the most recent version of PSP, you can get a 30-day trial version free from the Corel site. It's very powerful. Everyone that I introduced to PSP became artists, and those that I introduced to Photoshop.... didn't.

So, there's no need to spend tons of cash or do anything illegal to participate here using a powerful program. Go get yourselves some art power. And while you're at it, don't forget that regardless of where raw materials come from (i.e., art that you did not develop, which you have incorporated into [i]your[/i] art), the object here is to produce the best-looking graphics. The artists who developed the scraps that we commonly use, posted their work on the internet for the world to access and use. Those who didn't want their art to be used by others, have watermarked or stamped their graphics, rendering them useless. I think you guys might be trying to direct attention to a problem that simply doesn't exist.

In reality, there's very few artists here that are proficient enough to do it for a living. We do the best we can with what we have to work with. And the cyberverse is a bit more prosperous as a result. And bringing prosperity to a group of people, in large part, is the drive that most, if not all artists share with one another.

This competition relies on voters to vote based on skill and creativity. Not whether or not something is "art". If you make a submission that doesn't even attempt to display either, then yes, you will not be able to participate. Go get a decent program, and learn how to use it like the rest of us did. Problem solved.

[quote name='PotFace' timestamp='1283311479' post='2437843']
Actually up until fairly recently, I used JASC Paint Shop Pro 7. Now, for those of us who have been doing this for a while, we know that JASC was bought out by Corel, and PSP7 - PSP9 is now FREE. In terms of performance, it's not as good as say, Photoshop, however, if you know how to work it, and you're up against someone that isn't a Photoshop god (which is most of us), then you can definitely come out on top. I prefer PSP over Photoshop for its user-friendliness. Now, if you absolutely MUST have the most recent version of PSP, you can get a 30-day trial version free from the Corel site. It's very powerful. Everyone that I introduced to PSP became artists, and those that I introduced to Photoshop.... didn't.

So, there's no need to spend tons of cash or do anything illegal to participate here using a powerful program. Go get yourselves some art power. And while you're at it, don't forget that regardless of where raw materials come from (i.e., art that you did not develop, which you have incorporated into [i]your[/i] art), the object here is to produce the best-looking graphics. The artists who developed the scraps that we commonly use, posted their work on the internet for the world to access and use. Those who didn't want their art to be used by others, have watermarked or stamped their graphics, rendering them useless. I think you guys might be trying to direct attention to a problem that simply doesn't exist.

In reality, there's very few artists here that are proficient enough to do it for a living. We do the best we can with what we have to work with. And the cyberverse is a bit more prosperous as a result. And bringing prosperity to a group of people, in large part, is the drive that most, if not all artists share with one another.

This competition relies on voters to vote based on skill and creativity. Not whether or not something is "art". If you make a submission that doesn't even attempt to display either, then yes, you will not be able to participate. Go get a decent program, and learn how to use it like the rest of us did. Problem solved.
[/quote]
+rep for this post mate.
I agree that while using MS paint(or other programs to create your OWN creations) may be seen as being more original, people using images that are made available to them through the public domain in order to exercise their creativity must also be recognized.

[quote name='Alfred von Tirpitz' timestamp='1283312857' post='2437858']
[img]http://www.blackstonecommission.com/mynewsig.png[/img]

Hey potface, do you have a copy of that with a 1px center/outside black stroke on the skull? I would like to see which looks better, your current one or the one with a stroke.
[/quote]

I think that the one with a black 1px outside stroke will look better.

[quote name='Alfred von Tirpitz' timestamp='1283312857' post='2437858']
[img]http://www.blackstonecommission.com/mynewsig.png[/img]

Hey potface, do you have a copy of that with a 1px center/outside black stroke on the skull? I would like to see which looks better, your current one or the one with a stroke.
[/quote]

No, I sure don't. That stroke was an overlooked mistake that I went back and corrected. That image had about 15 layers to it - the more complex you make graphics, the more opportunity there is to make a "boo boo".

What do you think about the submissions so far? Looks like some pretty stiff competition huh?

[quote name='PotFace' timestamp='1283313370' post='2437872']
No, I sure don't. That stroke was an overlooked mistake that I went back and corrected. That image had about 15 layers to it - the more complex you make graphics, the more opportunity there is to make a "boo boo".

What do you think about the submissions so far? Looks like some pretty stiff competition huh?
[/quote]
I like the ones by Abdur and Puppets so far. Specially Puppets because it is so simple that it is beautiful.

[quote name='Gairyuki' timestamp='1283313386' post='2437873']
Hell no, 1px outside stroke will make it look so animated and amateur. It looks fantastic now, especially the skull part.
[/quote]
Not necessarily, it need not be a jarring "normal-100% opacity" stroke. A subtle, faded one would maybe bring out the graphic and make it better without making it all toony.

Edited by Alfred von Tirpitz

[quote name='Alfred von Tirpitz' timestamp='1283313899' post='2437880']
Not necessarily, it need not be a jarring "normal-100% opacity" stroke. A subtle, faded one would maybe bring out the graphic and make it better without making it all toony.
[/quote]

Yeah, that had occurred to me too, but then I remembered what color the background would be. Maybe some texturing on the skull would have solved that issue. That crossed my mind as well, but then I saw how the frame for the sig looked a bit "cartoony" in itself, and so I decided to blend the two effects together like that. Now, if I was to use this strictly on a dark background, you can bet I would have made that skull opaque :) The glowing text and colored lights- meh, that's just something that I've been on for a few weeks now.

I recently made a sig for Amos that uses a similar look as my submission:

[img] http://blackstonecommission.com/amos2a.png[/img]

[img]http://blackstonecommission.com/tiberioussig.png[/img]

I might go through another "glassy" phase again soon. Who knows.

[quote name='PotFace' timestamp='1283314506' post='2437902']
Maybe some texturing on the skull would have solved that issue.
[/quote]

Yeah, that would work too. Not that there is anything wrong with the sig in question...I just wondered what it would look like with a slightly different treatment.

[quote name='PotFace' timestamp='1283314506' post='2437902']
I recently made a sig for Amos that uses a similar look as my submission:

[img] http://blackstonecommission.com/amos2a.png[/img]

[img]http://blackstonecommission.com/tiberioussig.png[/img]

I might go through another "glassy" phase again soon. Who knows.
[/quote]

I think the Amos sig is better to be honest. The irregular shape of the second one, is a winner but, the Amos sig is still better for some reason. Easier on the eyes i guess.

[quote name='Alfred von Tirpitz' timestamp='1283314830' post='2437907']
I think the Amos sig is better to be honest. The irregular shape of the second one, is a winner but, the Amos sig is still better for some reason. Easier on the eyes i guess.
[/quote]

I think Amos's would look better with the black removed from behind the main elements. I really like sigs with irregular, somewhat minimalist design.

[quote name='Gairyuki' timestamp='1283286061' post='2437336']
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you and several others here are complaining that the theme, based around using a color, is not suitable for this contest. In fact, you would prefer if the contest was based around, say, a [i]video-game character[/i].

So the theme that guarantees the most creativity, while not limiting one to the stock art he or she uses but rather just the color, is bad, but you'd like to be limited by the stock art (or perhaps your own drawing) of whatever the theme was.

First you guys !@#$%*ed and moaned, claiming that the use of renders and stock art is plagiarism. Next, you're saying that the contest should essentially mandate the use of renders and stock art in order to be fun. That's really what it all comes down to.

Also, in case you didn't know, the style of using only one color is known as monochrome. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monochrome_painting
[/quote]

Sometimes I take for granted that people will notice obvious sarcasm, but there's always one person that'll miss it and go off on a crazy rant.

Always one :ph34r: