A Question From The Geek Squad

bros

224 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='bros2' date='13 March 2010 - 04:22 PM' timestamp='1268512052' post='2224621']
SMF and phpbb probably.

You'd have to pay for IPB/Vbulletin if you wanted it.
[/quote]

50 MB would also be insufficient for either of those boards.

[quote name='Bilrow' date='14 March 2010 - 02:32 PM' timestamp='1268591872' post='2225498']Nope, we never used the Legion's forum for testing or discussion. We did however use a clean install of IPB forum for that using the no longer used cnlegion.net domain name paid for by Koona.[/quote]

I'd be interested in knowing how the Legion's forums ceased to be used. Was the Legion being run by the NPO at the time?

You may call this 'creating drama', but to someone from the outside it's pretty damn interesting that you didn't have your little chats about UM0 on your own forum, and hid behind the Legion's name instead. It doesn't really matter who was paying for it, but clearly that part is lost on you.

For those wondering what I'm talking about: http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=56972&view=findpost&p=1508155

Why anyone would voluntarily hand you the 'keys to their car' is beyond me.

[quote name='Ashoka the Great' date='14 March 2010 - 06:07 PM' timestamp='1268608357' post='2225731']
I'd be interested in knowing how the Legion's forums ceased to be used. Was the Legion being run by the NPO at the time?

You may call this 'creating drama', but to someone from the outside it's pretty damn interesting that you didn't have your little chats about UM0 on your own forum, and hid behind the Legion's name instead. It doesn't really matter who was paying for it, but clearly that part is lost on you.

For those wondering what I'm talking about: http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=56972&view=findpost&p=1508155

[/quote]

If you read the link I posted, you'd see they were using temp location (and I'm assuming that was on our server as we have done for alliances in the past) after their InvisionFree got hacked and then wanted to move to their own hosting.

As for the rest, that has nothing to do with this thread and isn't going to get a response here.

[quote name='Ashoka the Great' date='14 March 2010 - 07:07 PM' timestamp='1268608357' post='2225731']

[/quote]

Remember how Legion was forced to have a NPO viceroy?

..yeah

[quote name='Ryuzaki' date='14 March 2010 - 07:19 PM' timestamp='1268612666' post='2225791']
[quote name='bros2' date='14 March 2010 - 11:44 AM' timestamp='1268585415' post='2225390']

And not a lot of CNers have bank accounts or credit cards.

I'm 19, don't have either.
[/quote]

You don't have a bank account? :blink:
[/quote]

I have to agree with Ryuzaki here.

There were no such things as debit cards in my youth, but I still had a savings account by age 10. Didn't even get an allowance, but the yard cutting money I earned wasn't mine to spend any way I wanted. I was required to bank half of it and it took something really major before I was allowed to write a check on it. I wanted money back then and the rules were simple. Earn it and save a lot of it. By age 15 I was working 20 hours a week at a real job and had a full time job before I finished high school. I wanted a car at 16 so I had to buy it myself. The cool clothes, music, movies, eating out, entertainment? Yep, all on my dime back then. And if I had ever let my school grades drop below a B average I had to quit my job and temporarily lost the use of my bank account. Happened only once and I learned my lesson fast.

Now I understand that current day parents may not let a kid go get a job, but bank account and trading chores for cash is essential for the fiscal growth of a young person. And by 19 there's really no excuse. No person out of high school should be without the services of a bank. You are either in college or getting a job by 19. Both situations need a bank account.

[quote name='Bilrow' date='14 March 2010 - 06:33 PM' timestamp='1268609923' post='2225744']

As for the rest, that has nothing to do with this thread and isn't going to get a response here.
[/quote]

hahaha, Bilrow, who do you admire most, Tim Geithner or Ari Fleischer? Talk about a question dodge, I'll give ya credit where credit is due, I'm assuming your avoiding due to the laws governing this fine planet, any other excuse would be considered faux style news disinformation and treated as such.

[quote name='+Zeke+' date='14 March 2010 - 08:56 PM' timestamp='1268614917' post='2225836']
I have to agree with Ryuzaki here.

There were no such things as debit cards in my youth, but I still had a savings account by age 10. Didn't even get an allowance, but the yard cutting money I earned wasn't mine to spend any way I wanted. I was required to bank half of it and it took something really major before I was allowed to write a check on it. I wanted money back then and the rules were simple. Earn it and save a lot of it. By age 15 I was working 20 hours a week at a real job and had a full time job before I finished high school. I wanted a car at 16 so I had to buy it myself. The cool clothes, music, movies, eating out, entertainment? Yep, all on my dime back then. And if I had ever let my school grades drop below a B average I had to quit my job and temporarily lost the use of my bank account. Happened only once and I learned my lesson fast.

Now I understand that current day parents may not let a kid go get a job, but bank account and trading chores for cash is essential for the fiscal growth of a young person. And by 19 there's really no excuse. No person out of high school should be without the services of a bank. You are either in college or getting a job by 19. Both situations need a bank account.
[/quote]

1. I Don't drive
2. I Don't buy clothes or music. I go out to the movies or eat out with my parents.
3. I'm in college
4. I don't see how that requires a bank account

[quote name='Freelancer' date='14 March 2010 - 09:19 PM' timestamp='1268616295' post='2225858']
hahaha, Bilrow, who do you admire most, Tim Geithner or Ari Fleischer? Talk about a question dodge, I'll give ya credit where credit is due, I'm assuming your avoiding due to the laws governing this fine planet, any other excuse would be considered faux style news disinformation and treated as such.
[/quote]

The rule against viceroys was passed after Legion and GATO were under a viceroy and therefore they did not have to remove the viceroys

[quote name='bros2' date='14 March 2010 - 08:32 PM' timestamp='1268617075' post='2225871']
1. I Don't drive
2. I Don't buy clothes or music. I go out to the movies or eat out with my parents.
3. I'm in college
4. I don't see how that requires a bank account
[/quote]

Yes, you likely can avoid a bank account your whole life. Just like you can avoid finishing the 6th grade and still manage to work until retirement. You can avoid driving your whole life too as many people have.

But for the rest of us we see bank accounts, vehicles, and education is important tools of being a prosperous adult. Can't rely on your parents to handle that business forever and the sooner you have them the more practice you get before the time comes where you have to master the skills needed to raise your own family. Within a few weeks of turning 18 I never needed another nickel from my parents ever. Good fiscal skills and hard work let me pay for my own college.

[quote name='Freelancer' date='14 March 2010 - 08:19 PM' timestamp='1268616295' post='2225858']
[/quote]

Actually since it has nothing to do with the OP of the thread or even myself for that matter since I wasn't the server admin at the time, all I can do is point to what happen. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter which new installed forum and which domain was used (which was owned by Koona) because that was an internal NPO matter and if it wasn't a problem with us in NPO to discuss our coding on a different forum then it should be no concern really of anyone else.

Unless I'm not clear of any new rules that have been applied to the ToS there is nothing that says an alliance can't use different forums and their own purchased domain names for whatever they please.

So once again I'll ask if you don't have anything that relates to the OP of the topic, feel free to start another topic or private message me.

Edited by Bilrow

Yeah I would never do this. Mostly because I'm paranoid and wouldn't trust anyone but my closet ingame friends with something as important as handling the hosting of my nonexistent microalliance's forums.

Edited by Fallen_Fool

[quote name='+Zeke+' date='14 March 2010 - 10:35 PM' timestamp='1268620859' post='2225926']
Yes, you likely can avoid a bank account your whole life. Just like you can avoid finishing the 6th grade and still manage to work until retirement. You can avoid driving your whole life too as many people have.

But for the rest of us we see bank accounts, vehicles, and education is important tools of being a prosperous adult. Can't rely on your parents to handle that business forever and the sooner you have them the more practice you get before the time comes where you have to master the skills needed to raise your own family. Within a few weeks of turning 18 I never needed another nickel from my parents ever. Good fiscal skills and hard work let me pay for my own college.
[/quote]

I'm sorry that I can't drive due to my disabilities. (Still being tested, although at this point it is on the fence, leaning towards not being able to)

I'm sorry that I cannot work yet due to my disabilities.

The state is paying for my college tuition due to the amount and severity of my disabilities.

I'm glad that you are a !@#$@#$ master of the universe, but I don't give a damn.

[quote name='goldielax25' date='14 March 2010 - 10:40 PM' timestamp='1268621134' post='2225930']
I should have specified, I was referring to the IPB and VB part of the quote.
[/quote]

Would a person who has spent the money on IPB/VB REALLY be using a small free host?

[quote name='bros2' date='14 March 2010 - 10:59 PM' timestamp='1268625917' post='2226010']
I'm sorry that I can't drive due to my disabilities. (Still being tested, although at this point it is on the fence, leaning towards not being able to)

I'm sorry that I cannot work yet due to my disabilities.

The state is paying for my college tuition due to the amount and severity of my disabilities.

I'm glad that you are a !@#$@#$ master of the universe, but I don't give a damn.
[/quote]

Well, you have my condolences on your disabilities. I do understand because I'm a disabled veteran myself.

But the internet doesn't come in 2 way video form on forums. Exactly how would I know you had issues with normal life functions?

And they are normal life functions, not "master of the universe" powers. I happen to know quite a few people with disabilities, ranging from minor to amazingly severe. They all try to work hard on being as independently functional as they can, which certainly includes fiscal responsibility. Furthermore, just about all of them expect me to treat them as close to being a "normal person" as I can......as I did with you. They would first respect that I had no way of knowing your condition, second be pleased that I was treating them like they were anyone else, and last they darn sure would not lash out bitterly at someone giving them honest constructive criticism.