Do you wanna quit CN?

Angrator

I might quit CN because...  

469 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We've lost a lot of notable players recently. Sponge is one such player that comes to mind. Who is next? Doiztel? There must be others who are on the verge of quitting. Why do you think that this is happening?

Edited by admin
Biased poll. I fixed it for ya. ;)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's simple... Electron Sponge wasn't suited to life as an ordinary alliance member. I have difficulty imagining him anything less than Emperor (although obviously he wasn't Emperor when Tygaland was still in command over there.) When he lost his position as Emperor, he almost quit the game before joining Vox, which was originally intended to be a small group of mates having fun and hurting NPO however they could. He was perfectly suited to Vox, for numerous different reasons, and stayed there for the entire course of its existence (although Vox nearly disbanded at one point, when he began to apply for alliances like ODN.) Once Vox's mission was completed and NPO was being destroyed, Sponge lost interest in the game. No doubt he'll return at some point.

Doitzel is similar. He was a great member within Pacifica, once he published De Profundis, Vox was the alliance best suited to him (otherwise he would've quit with Manic Monday.) He couldn't get into government - or even an alliance - while on Pacifica's PZI list, so he didn't really have anywhere else to go. Nine months later, Vox's job was done, and Doitzel founded The Jedi Order with some old friends and went inactive. This was because with Pacifica's downfall, he (like many other Voxians) lost his purpose in this game.

I think it's tragic that an alliance that spent so long attempting to create a better future for Cyber Nations is now unable to live in it.

The Admin has given up adding thing to the game for nations outside of the top 1,000.

The addition of several new wonders and Moon and Mars wonders only benefited nations within the top 1,000. There has been nothing new for small, medium and large sized nations that comprise the other 25,000 nations. The addition of the naval system only came after two years of campaigning by people in the Suggestion Box, and even that hasn't been all it was cracked up to be.

I stay around in the hope that the Admin, who has created a brilliant game, will regain his enthusiasm for modifying CyberNations, or will hand it over the reigns to someone else that is interested in updating.

It is also worth noting the regular phrase 'they always come back'. Because they do. And sometimes people just need a break.

Edited by Ch33kY

This game's what you make of it. If you're leaving because you're bored you have only yourself to blame.

I can personally verify that it takes very little effort to create hugely amusing dramaz round here, making the in-game mechanics side of things pale into insignificance. Infact, I'm thinking of causing a scene later this week if nothing more exciting happens first. B)

I don't think additions to the game (or lack of them) are what is causing this exodus of notable players from the game. There's no discrepancy between the number of additions made to the game before the Karma War (which incidentally was when most of these players still played) and after the Karma War (which is when people began to leave.) If there was, then perhaps I would agree with you, Cheeky, but even then that's only incidental evidence. The difference is the political situation. It's fascinating- I'd never have guessed that CN would become more stagnant after the MADP web was destroyed than it was beforehand (I mean in terms of players leaving- obviously there are things happening in CN at the moment, you only need to read the CNF to determine that much, although nothing is actually flaring up into war, unfortunately.)

I don't think there's any more than usual. The Kronos folks have been building up to quit for a long time. Sponge has been gone for a while – I suspect things were never as fun for him after he lost 'his' alliance, although Vox would have kept the interest up to some extent.

The Admin has given up adding thing to the game for nations outside of the top 1,000.

That's funny because to me it feels like Admin has stopped adding things to make it interesting in the end-game. If you have all the wonders and hit the infrastructure profitability limit, there's basically nothing to do any more.

I don't think additions to the game (or lack of them) are what is causing this exodus of notable players from the game. There's no discrepancy between the number of additions made to the game before the Karma War (which incidentally was when most of these players still played) and after the Karma War (which is when people began to leave.) If there was, then perhaps I would agree with you, Cheeky, but even then that's only incidental evidence. The difference is the political situation. It's fascinating- I'd never have guessed that CN would become more stagnant after the MADP web was destroyed than it was beforehand (I mean in terms of players leaving- obviously there are things happening in CN at the moment, you only need to read the CNF to determine that much, although nothing is actually flaring up into war, unfortunately.)

There were some good points made about game mechanics. The admin has made few changes to the system, and he hasn’t addressed the major problem of nation stagnation. It seems top level nations have little to do but wait for the next war and build massive warchests. I wouldn’t count out the admin yet though. The mars and moons wonders must be a precurser to something. To me, it seems obvious that something is destined to happen with those. CN going to space is inevitable. There is just no more room on Earth.

Regardless, I think that the main draw for people is not and will never be game mechanics. The main draw is politics pure and simple. There are those who want to mix it up and mess over others and then there are those who just want to pay bills, collect taxes, etc. The tension between the two groups of people is endlessly fascinating to me and I can’t wait to see which side will win.

Eh, game mechanics are perfect as is, the problem is obviously the lethargy of the sanctioned alliances. Only a very small amount of people have the power to change anything and they don't want to use that power.

That said, you make your own fun here, the more people sitting back waiting for someone else to do something interesting the more boring it gets, too many people just want to join the various bandwagons. If you're bored then take some initiative and do something, coup an alliance or make an animated series on the history of CN or idunno wear a signature saying citadel is stupid or something <_<

I have my next idea for some fun being plotted out in my mind right now ^_^

Doitzel isn't going anywhere.

The game's boring for someone like me when you don't have a lot vested in the central power politics of the era. I didn't have anything to invest as things progressed and I don't really have the time or energy to force my way into it at the moment; that's fine. So for now I watch and wait and then, like a true Jedi, I can sit detached on the sidelines with a look of smug gravity and shake my head solemnly at your collective foolishness.

By some definitions I've probably already quit. I'll insist that I'm just biding my time.

Edited by Elyat

I think that a lot of people don't quit simply due to the amout of time and effort they put into their nations. If I were to quit, I doubt it would be for any reason other than RL inteference and lack of friends playing. Thankfully, neither of those are an issue.

People forget that this is a unique game.

It can take years for something to happen, or as little as a few weeks.

I believe one of the obstacles is the fact that folks tie themselves to the Olde World in such a way that they forget that they, themselves, are active participants in events and should be going about things in their own way.

Make your own fun.

People forget that this is a unique game.

It can take years for something to happen, or as little as a few weeks.

I believe one of the obstacles is the fact that folks tie themselves to the Olde World in such a way that they forget that they, themselves, are active participants in events and should be going about things in their own way.

Make your own fun.

But this is impossible, everyone is of the mindset that their alliance will simply be there ready when another alliance messes up or does anything remotely interesting. (Unless you're neutral, obv). Nobody wants to tarnish their image, lose their PR, or 'break morality' because then they might lose all standing completely, and a war might not even form. So, as a result, the only wars waged are the select few that manage to completely manifest after all else fails.

e: Oh, I'm not planning on quitting yet though.

Edited by Mixoux

But this is impossible, everyone is of the mindset that their alliance will simply be there ready when another alliance messes up or does anything remotely interesting. (Unless you're neutral, obv). Nobody wants to tarnish their image, lose their PR, or 'break morality' because then they might lose all standing completely, and a war might not even form. So, as a result, the only wars waged are the select few that manage to completely manifest after all else fails.

e: Oh, I'm not planning on quitting yet though.

Thanks for the detailed response. :)

I agree that those are definite obstacles; I also agree that people have become way too comfortable and accustomed with the way things have been done in the past. It certainly carries a risk to go about things your own way, however, I believe that that is just what Vox and Karma were all about not too long ago.

Things have changed guys; just like Mixoux has alluded, many of us need to grow some backbones and take advantage of this.

Otherwise, the sacrifices made recently will all be for naught.