Imperial Decree - New Polar Order

AlmightyGrub

Honestly, the only thing that sounds fishy to me about all this is that the IRC Cop in question (werewolf) knew Ursarkar was doing this. Perhaps it causes a server overload when you try to brute force a channel, I dunno.

There is nothing fishy about that. It's quite obvious when a brute force attack is occurring, assuming you are monitoring your systems traffic, which even the most half assed administrator does. Then it's just a matter of confirming who is doing the attack and voila.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would expect a major IRC network to have automated detection of that, really. Just as many websites lock you out after guessing 3 wrong passwords in a row, it would be very easy for the IRC server code to notice an attempted brute force and alert an admin. Since you're logged into IRC with a registered nick in most cases, there is no difficulty in identifying who's done it.

So I still fail to see how I've done anything wrong, because those are the only scripts I had going at the time, but of course, it's obvious I'm lying and blah blah blah.

When it's a direct he says, she says and one party is an administrator of the network and says you tried a brute force attack, yes, it's obvious you're lying unless you can provide a reasonable alternative explanation for someone using your nick and your hostmask attempting a brute force, or a good motivation for Werewolf to lie about it (good luck with that one, since he has massive disincentives to biased, unfair bans and no particular incentive to want you ZId).

Honestly, the only thing that sounds fishy to me about all this is that the IRC Cop in question (werewolf) knew Ursarkar was doing this. Perhaps it causes a server overload when you try to brute force a channel, I dunno.

B)

After 5 failed attempts at the founder password chanserv locked UEC out and notified the IRCops.

Maybe that's because I was banned mysteriously on both forums. :rolleyes:

Didn't you earlier ,in this thread, claim you were out buying groceries or something like that at the time you were banned? How come you instantly posted ban appeals on 2 forums then?

It gets hard to sort through so many lies, doesn't it?

Edited by Weirdgus

When in doubt I choose to believe the network-monitored detection system. Call me crazy. Brute force attacks are definitely detected automatically as hammering a network is very bad for it and can cause network-wide issues. Thus, admins take that stuff pretty seriously. Unless someone first hacked Ursarkar's irc account and then perpetrated the attack, it's clear who is the culprit. Even then, I am sure the admin would check IP addresses to confirm the source of the attack. It is easy to brute force channels, it is much harder to do so anonymously on a registered network.

I look forward to more pointless squabbling over what is more or less a cut and dry issue:

1507669028_0d0f1e5b2a.jpg

When it's a direct he says, she says and one party is an administrator of the network and says you tried a brute force attack, yes, it's obvious you're lying unless you can provide a reasonable alternative explanation for someone using your nick and your hostmask attempting a brute force, or a good motivation for Werewolf to lie about it (good luck with that one, since he has massive disincentives to biased, unfair bans and no particular incentive to want you ZId).

Clearly, when UEC finally turned off his script and went to the grocery store, Grub went to his house, got on his computer, tried hacking the NpO and NPO channels and got UEC banned. Then having successfully accomplished his mission, he sneaked out of UEC's room and went back to his house. That's obviously what happened. Grub has found a way to manipulate space time to be anywhere he wants! :o

The only question is, was it really Grub who sneaked into UEC's house, or was it Wolverine the IRCop??? Dun Dun Dun

This reminds me of when your kid has chocolate all over their hands and mouth, and you ask them "Did you eat the candy bar?" and they say "NO!"

I'm really not sure of who to believe here...but maybe,just maybe Ursarkar is telling the truth...

I agree. I don't know why people don't believe Ursarkar's conflicting truths. Who cars if his truth doesn't make sense, it's Ursarkar we're talking about. We can trust him.

-Bama

To be fair, Doitzel did say that he doubts "Ursawhatever is innocent in the slightest."

While I can hardly speak for him, I believe what he objects to is the automatic assumption that Grub's word (or, indeed, anyone's) is accepted by virtue of his position and without evidence having been made publicly available.

That being said, I'm fairly sure he believes Grub. As do I. But all of us, regardless of present or past positions or reputations, are forever accountable by virtue of pesky little things called facts. Doitzel has a history of calling people's attention to that time and time again and, I dare say, our world is a measurably better place because of it.

It has nothing to do with Grub; his word is why I have little doubt that whatshisface is guilty. It goes back to the underlying theme of this thread. Some people are trustworthy, others are not, and it has little to do with the esteem afforded to them by others.

Didn't you earlier ,in this thread, claim you were out buying groceries or something like that at the time you were banned? How come you instantly posted ban appeals on 2 forums then?

It gets hard to sort through so many lies, doesn't it?

I assure you that the times those threads where made and time from when I was originally banned are completely different times.

Were you even in NPO at that time? Im pretty sure you left by then. How could you know about all that?

I was in NPO when she didn't get Council and wasn't even mentioned, I was even running that month. :P

Edited by Ursarkar E Creed

I've gone to the IRCop website and stated my side, hopefully I will get an answer back soon with some help.

This was truly a mistake and I assure you I did not try and hack anyone at any time.

Werewolf obviously does not know his way around scripts and obviously doesn't like letting people give their side of the story.

I can't find your thread on the Coldfront forums. How did this go for you?

Doesn't matter who I contacted or how.

Wouldn't matter if I provided proof, I'd still be condemned, so it doesn't bother me.

Translation: I got rebuffed, and "it doesn't matter anyway I don't even care" is the only response I can think of that doesn't involve admitting it.